Illinois loses 64-63 to Penn State on...

Illinois loses 64-63 to Penn State on last-second shot

There are 31 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 5, 2009, titled Illinois loses 64-63 to Penn State on last-second shot. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Illinois showed up at the Bryce Jordan Center Thursday night to wrap up second place in the Big Ten, something not widely predicted in November when the Illini were seen as no better than a middle of the pack ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
1timefarmer

Irving, TX

#26 Mar 6, 2009
I have to agree w/ Gator. My father who coached for years always says "When you get a lead, remember how you got it." They're the same players at the end of the game. It's the style of play that changes.
mel

Schaumburg, IL

#27 Mar 6, 2009
i wonder how much Mike Davis got paid to blow the game... in my opinion it looks like he intentionally missed that free throw and then was defending with his arms by his side as Battle ran by him to hit the winning shot. why didn't ANYBODY foul Battle, force him to score with free throws and leave a little time on the clock?!?
ty welke

Ramona, CA

#28 Mar 6, 2009
Another point not mentioned previously is the tendency of the Illini to have prolonged scoring droughts. They were ahead by 10 with 5 minutes left and scored 3 more points to finish! That production is simply unacceptable. Was I the only one who felt the defense caved in somewhat at PSU and allowed far too many points in the paint? I believe the sophomore players are talented. More team speed and stronger rebounding is imperative for 2019-10. I was more impressed with their play in the open court than in previous games too. This is surely one that got away! What a pity.
Tom

Menomonee Falls, WI

#29 Mar 6, 2009
Rocket Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam: it is the players. They cannot excute in the clutch, especially on the road. Weber is a fine coach but lacks the talent on this team.
Can't execute in the clutch? How about that great win at Northwestern. Despite all the negatives the Illini also had road wins this year at Purdue, Ohio St. and Indiana. I hope we get another shot at Penn State in the Big 10 tournament and get some revenge against these bums.
danderooski

Joliet, IL

#30 Mar 6, 2009
Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to give credit to the other team, no? PSU has beaten MSU, the Illini twice, etc. Pretty good team I saw out there, and NOT in the orange and blue!

Go LIONS!!
Red

Palatine, IL

#31 Mar 6, 2009
Rocket Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam: it is the players. They cannot excute in the clutch, especially on the road. Weber is a fine coach but lacks the talent on this team.
Huh? The problem is blowing leads. If the players are talented enough to get a lead, they're talented anough to keep it. They're not being coached how to keep it. The leads disappear when the style of play changes per the coach. The players don't get less talented in the last 5 minutes.
Disgusted

Calumet City, IL

#32 Mar 6, 2009
Adam wrote:
They (illini) don't finish games....I've watched that show umpteen (even when they win) over the last couple years...But is it Weber or the program...a couple years ago...things went the other way and they could come from behind...who knows
The Illin have more assists than anyone in the country. They have a nice passing offense and everyone shares the ball. Weber does a nice job. This works well for the first 38 minutes. But in crunch time, they don't have a real go to player, a penetrating guard to take it to the hoop and score and draw a foul; or a big man inside to take it to the hoop against anyone. They get so used to feeding each other that they forget that sometimes you need a take-charge guy in crunch time. Hopefully, Weber will fix this in practice before tourney time. Sometimes, you just need to take a kid aside in practice and tell him that he needs to be selfish in crunch time.
shark in berkeley

United States

#33 Mar 6, 2009
Worst loss of the year, as far as I'm concerned. After initial doubts, I've become a big Weber fan, but this one is on him. With the ball and 8 seconds left PSU had to foul, so the correct play was to get the ball to a guard who could run seconds off the clock before getting fouled and, hopefully, hit his free throws. I don't care if Meacham was 0 for 20 for the night, he's a senior and the guy you want on the line at the end. Davis is nervous from the line even in normal circumstances. Plus, he's a sophomore. If the Illini had hit a free throw or ran 1 second off the clock before getting fouled, they would have won. Hopefully Weber learned something, because that's not the way I want to see the Illini depart from the NCAA's.
Mike

Iowa City, IA

#35 Mar 6, 2009
I think Illinois has early round exit for the NCAA tourney written all over them. They don't have a go-to scorer and seem too many scoring droughts. I think it's amazing that they're 23-8 considering the mediocre talent on that team. Bruce Weber is a great coach, and Illini fans should be thrilled to have him, especially considering the recruiting class coming in next season.
Mike

Iowa City, IA

#36 Mar 6, 2009
correction: seem TO HAVE too many scoring droughts. sorry
chieflover

Seminole, FL

#37 Mar 6, 2009
What was witnessed last night was Illinois basketball under Weber. Sone of the players will change next year, and the year after, but the coaching will not!!!!! We have seen this before and will see it again. Poor clock management at the end of the game, and a team that has long droughts from the field due to this motion offense that often settles for an ill advised three point prayer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trail Blazers 'like what Tim Frazier brings' at... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Fartman 2
News Justice will out, but what about Paterno's record? (Nov '11) Nov '11 caroline 3
News Chambers changes the hoops culture at PSU (Nov '11) Nov '11 ems 1
News Surprise coaching search begins at Penn State (May '11) May '11 415TRUTHER 2
News Source: Penn State's DeChellis heading to Navy (May '11) May '11 dufus 5
News On top, close to home | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 FLABUCK 2
News Game preview: Ohio State at Penn State | Buckey... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Tommy Hrinz 2
More from around the web