Illinois loses 64-63 to Penn State on...

Illinois loses 64-63 to Penn State on last-second shot

There are 31 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 5, 2009, titled Illinois loses 64-63 to Penn State on last-second shot. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Illinois showed up at the Bryce Jordan Center Thursday night to wrap up second place in the Big Ten, something not widely predicted in November when the Illini were seen as no better than a middle of the pack ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gator

Twin Lakes, WI

#1 Mar 5, 2009
Just a horrible loss. While i like Weber, he is horrible at late game coaching and that prevent offense they run the last 5 minutes of games is killing the team. Wake up Bruce, your a great coach with a decent team, act like it the last 5 minutes.
Nat

Phoenix, AZ

#3 Mar 5, 2009
Agree 100% with Gator. When the game gets tight, they just bleed the shotclock and then have to force up a last second shot, as opposed to a high percentage shot. When you have a lead, and a decided height advantage, why do you not force the ball in low where Tisdale can shoot jump hooks? I just do not get Weber sometimes.
chicagoguy

Westland, MI

#4 Mar 5, 2009
great D on the last play of the game illi!
ty welke

Ramona, CA

#5 Mar 5, 2009
Their defense allowed PSU to get inside offensively all night long. Overall, it was not a strong defensive effort. Illinois has no "go to guy" offensively to close out games. Further, if they cannot shoot critical free-throws late in the game, they deseve to lose...and they did! It was a great game to watch, but good teams close it out down the stretch. Illinois simply does not do that consistently! Hopefully some of the incoming guards next year are quick and impactful slashers. Successful teams cannot live by jump shots alone. I did not argue as much with their strategy as their lack of execution at the end. It was a painful loss.
Adam

Hollywood, FL

#6 Mar 5, 2009
They (illini) don't finish games....I've watched that show umpteen (even when they win) over the last couple years...But is it Weber or the program...a couple years ago...things went the other way and they could come from behind...who knows
Matt P

Chicago, IL

#7 Mar 5, 2009
FREETHROWS!!!!!
SPB

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 6, 2009
Well the new Wall St. sports numbers guy had it right, giving IL a 50.2% chance to beat Penn St. at home. This is bout accurate as it gets
ga illini alum

Savannah, GA

#9 Mar 6, 2009
While I was very frustrated by this loss, I tried to remember this
team accomplished. While they are all good, they still lack that go to guy at the end of the game. Hope that is coming along in the next couple of years. I LOVE the Big 10, but the worst officiating EVER lives in this conference, and I watch a lot of basketball. WORST ever for both teams in this game. And I liked the ESPN announce team, can we PLEASE let the 38-33 game go already. Nothing like overkill.
ga illini alum

Savannah, GA

#10 Mar 6, 2009
Nat wrote:
Agree 100% with Gator. When the game gets tight, they just bleed the shotclock and then have to force up a last second shot, as opposed to a high percentage shot. When you have a lead, and a decided height advantage, why do you not force the ball in low where Tisdale can shoot jump hooks? I just do not get Weber sometimes.
Agree with you and Gator. If Meachum has not hit much all night, he is not the guy I want to see shooting at the end. I posted about the need for a quicker guard before I read these posts. We all see the same needs.
Mike In Virginia

United States

#11 Mar 6, 2009
Way to go Illini. You looked like five cigar store indians standing there watching that guy go coast to coast and making a last second layup. Tournement? One and done.
Rocket Man

Liverpool, NY

#12 Mar 6, 2009
Different game, different venue, same old problem: This group of players cannot perform in the clutch. Weber must be going insane. This team will lose its first game in the BigTen tourney and bow out of the NCAA after one game too. 23-10 should still be considered a good year considering the average (or should I say, lack-of) talent on this team. I sure hope these next two recruiting classes are as good as people advertise.
Rocket Man

Liverpool, NY

#13 Mar 6, 2009
Adam wrote:
They (illini) don't finish games....I've watched that show umpteen (even when they win) over the last couple years...But is it Weber or the program...a couple years ago...things went the other way and they could come from behind...who knows
Adam: it is the players. They cannot excute in the clutch, especially on the road. Weber is a fine coach but lacks the talent on this team.
Rocket Man

Liverpool, NY

#14 Mar 6, 2009
Gator wrote:
Just a horrible loss. While i like Weber, he is horrible at late game coaching and that prevent offense they run the last 5 minutes of games is killing the team. Wake up Bruce, your a great coach with a decent team, act like it the last 5 minutes.
Gator: I blame the players for not executing what needs to be done but they cannot help it because they have no talent. If I were Weber, I would forget calling timeouts at the end because this team cannot execute any plays you design. Just tell them to beat the defense up the court and hit a shot. Stop running around in the "motion" offense and end up running down the shot clock. Making a few free throws last night at the end would have made it a great win instead of a horrible loss. Again, talentless players just can't help it. Talentless players make ways to lose. The only comeback this group has ever made was against "slow" Northwestern. Against athletic teams, they choke.
Wildcat

Niles, IL

#15 Mar 6, 2009
Mike In Virginia wrote:
Way to go Illini. You looked like five cigar store indians standing there watching that guy go coast to coast and making a last second layup. Tournement? One and done.
I agree 100%. No way are the Illini getting to the 2nd round of the NIT.
bogey

Champaign, IL

#19 Mar 6, 2009
Gator wrote:
Sums it up perfectly! Bruce Weber teams play NOT TO LOSE instead of playing to WIN! I can't see another Ilini team making it to an NCCA Final 4 or championship because Weber is only getting the caliber of talent that he did when at SIU. They do play very hard and are aggresive but just too inconsistent at the end of the game. I predict a first round exit from the NCAA. In fact, I wouldn't even put them in the Big 10 tourney's final four - too many hungry teams trying to make it to the big dance and the Illini is too soft to put teams away.
In the Center

United States

#20 Mar 6, 2009
It is too bad that the Illini have to embarass us again when the idiots choose them for the NCAA. It is like watching the football team look bad after the regular season.
LIncoln Square

United States

#21 Mar 6, 2009
This was SO DELICIOUS to watch. Gosh I HATE Illinois!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Murphy from Saskatoon

Saskatoon, Canada

#22 Mar 6, 2009
Is Tisdale on his way to a date with osteoporosis. The guy's 7'1" and can't stand up straight. He looks (and plays) like a hunchy, old woman.
Jimmy

Clemson, SC

#23 Mar 6, 2009
Awesome game! Eat it Illini!!!
luvlew

Springfield, IL

#25 Mar 6, 2009
It seems like everbody psoted here agrees. play to win the game-don't play to lose the game. Running the shot clock down to 5 seconds to close out a game saps your team offensive chemistry away. Weber, ghave your boys take the best shot available. Illinoisdoesn't have theplayersthat can create thier own shot with time expirirng. There's no way they should have lost that game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trail Blazers 'like what Tim Frazier brings' at... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Fartman 2
News Justice will out, but what about Paterno's record? (Nov '11) Nov '11 caroline 3
News Chambers changes the hoops culture at PSU (Nov '11) Nov '11 ems 1
News Surprise coaching search begins at Penn State (May '11) May '11 415TRUTHER 2
News Source: Penn State's DeChellis heading to Navy (May '11) May '11 dufus 5
News On top, close to home | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 FLABUCK 2
News Game preview: Ohio State at Penn State | Buckey... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Tommy Hrinz 2
More from around the web