Hoosiers ugly but effective in road victory

There are 15 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 18, 2008, titled Hoosiers ugly but effective in road victory. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Indiana committed a season-high 26 turnovers and made just two of its final 13 shots Thursday night on the road against Minnesota.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Iowa Don

West Des Moines, IA

#287 Jan 18, 2008
polkhigh 44

Thanks for the spelling. I should be able to remember GorDON.
Gordon is the player the NBA wants and may end up being a great NBA player, but DJ is the best COLLEGE player on this team.
You and I think alike. My favorite IU players:
1. AJ Moye
2. Tom Coverdale
3. DJ White

Since: Dec 07

Indianapolis, IN

#288 Jan 18, 2008
HoosierBrian wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been watching IU basketball for just under 40 years. I haven't noticed Purdue owning IU head to head during that time period.(IU is 41-32 against Purdue during that time period). IU has won 14 Big Ten titles in that time period. Purdue has won 7 (and IU won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in two of those years). One of the IU victories was for an NIT Championship in 1979. Smack.
Since 2000 it's IU 10 wins Purdue 3 wins. This year should make it 11-3.
I won't even bother to throw in National Championships, Final Fours, Elite Eights, Sweet Sixteens, Preseason NIT championships, etc. That would just overwhelm you.
I find this all highly comical. Purdue fans have for YEARS told IU fans that they "live in the past". And we all know the old "dusty banner" jokes. But now Purdue fans are caught in a conundrum. They ALWAYS resort to the "all-time series lead" statistic. Yet, that lead was built up long ago. The majority of it was before most of IU's national championships. We are talking Pre-1950s. Since that time, it has been steadily declining. Since 2000, IU has taken a big chunk out of that lead.

So which is it Purdue fans? Are we allowed to talk about the past, or not? Seems like you only want to bring up the past when it serves your purposes.
Sampson

Ramsey, IN

#289 Jan 18, 2008
The Streak wrote:
Our coach is still a cheater. Wouldn't it be nice if our wins weren't tainted by that fact?
No!
Mark

United States

#290 Jan 18, 2008
Eric Gordon seems to be listening to all the hype about himself, he needs to be a team player to help this team be successful
pfft

Indianapolis, IN

#291 Jan 18, 2008
hey is it just me or does eric gordon look like one of the characters from fat albert? hey hey hey, pass me da ball.
Charlotte

United States

#292 Jan 18, 2008
Polk High 44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I find this all highly comical. Purdue fans have for YEARS told IU fans that they "live in the past". And we all know the old "dusty banner" jokes. But now Purdue fans are caught in a conundrum. They ALWAYS resort to the "all-time series lead" statistic. Yet, that lead was built up long ago. The majority of it was before most of IU's national championships. We are talking Pre-1950s. Since that time, it has been steadily declining. Since 2000, IU has taken a big chunk out of that lead.
So which is it Purdue fans? Are we allowed to talk about the past, or not? Seems like you only want to bring up the past when it serves your purposes.
I don't speak for all Purdue fans, but I am one and have been for almost forty years. I do remember IU's domination in B-Ball, most notably within the last 10 years (Purdue's most recent decline). Congratulations on your banners. But IU's banners in no way diminish my pride of Purdue basketball and I'm confident Matt Painter is the man to bring the program to chamionship proportions.

Since: Nov 07

Louisville, KY

#293 Jan 18, 2008
What game do some of you watch? It's not IU basketball, that's for sure. Gordon shot ONLY 8 times last night. Even if you just woke up and looked at the box score you could have figured out that he's not a ball hog. He had two consecutive amazing assists after coming back in from foul trouble. You haters talk like Gordon just jacks up 25 shots a game, when in reality it's usually about half that. He understands TEAM more than most freshmen.
Willie

Yorktown Heights, NY

#294 Jan 18, 2008
quit complaining / trying to make comparisons! This is why each game is played! Way to go IU - 4 & 0-- leading the B10! EAT YOUR HEART OUT BOYS!
dog chapman

AOL

#295 Jan 18, 2008
Jeremy Johnson wrote:
Ugly win? Huh? I remember MANY key trips to Minnesota (especially in the Bob Knight 18 win seasons and the Davis era debacle) that IU not only lost, but lost UGLY. Too many turnovers? Yes. Sloppy? Yes. Score more points than opponent? Yes. IU proved it cold win in a tough environment with its best player having a terrible game. Remember when IU has stars in the past that were shut down?(Guyton, Wright). They wold lose those games. Sampson is flat out kicking arse in the Big Ten. ALREADY!
yea well he won't be around lond rumour has it iu is going to get heavy sanctions after this class and iu will have no choice but to fire him.you heard it here first and i know the dirt.also iu has played 1 top 20 team this year and lost that one to xavier.when the big dance comes iu will be out early because they haven't been battle-tested.just ask the buckeyes football team
dog chapman

AOL

#296 Jan 18, 2008
Reality wrote:
"The Hoosiers aren't that as good as advertised this year (top 20 competition on a good day, but so is Purdue),""
I love all these delusional Purdue fans who think that they know more than the NCAA writers and coaches who make up the polls. You're right buddy...Purdue and IU are on the same level. That's why the coaches and writers have IU in the top 10 and why Purdue is unranked. You fools just don't get it. I swear to god, no matter how many times I move around the country the story is always the same: Purdue fans are the most delusional, biased homers in the country. Period.
are these the same writers that put the football buckeyes no.1 while in the weakest league in the country?
Craig

Indianapolis, IN

#297 Jan 18, 2008
dog chapman wrote:
<quoted text>yea well he won't be around lond rumour has it iu is going to get heavy sanctions after this class and iu will have no choice but to fire him.you heard it here first and i know the dirt.also iu has played 1 top 20 team this year and lost that one to xavier.when the big dance comes iu will be out early because they haven't been battle-tested.just ask the buckeyes football team
You seem like a well informed and smart guy. I bet you do have some inside knowledge. Also, thanks for crossing over to football while talking about basketball. Always a good move.
Craig

Indianapolis, IN

#298 Jan 18, 2008
dog chapman wrote:
<quoted text>are these the same writers that put the football buckeyes no.1 while in the weakest league in the country?
Yes. Will you please start posting rankings for college basketball and football. You are the nations only hope. Just a suggestion: Start doing the basketball rankings then just switch to football halfway into them.

“Macte Nova Virtute”

Since: Dec 07

Bravo Battery

#299 Jan 18, 2008
dog chapman wrote:
<quoted text>yea well he won't be around lond rumour has it iu is going to get heavy sanctions after this class and iu will have no choice but to fire him.you heard it here first and i know the dirt.also iu has played 1 top 20 team this year and lost that one to xavier.when the big dance comes iu will be out early because they haven't been battle-tested.just ask the buckeyes football team
AOL won't allow you to use any punctuation, eh? Well, that's what happens when you buy a computer from Fisher-Price.
JAMES TWITTY SR

Fishers, IN

#300 Jan 19, 2008
SAMPSON,NEEDS TO TELL GORDON TO QUIT TRYING TO DRIBLE BETWEEN 2 OR MORE GUARDS AND TO SLOW DOWN A NOTCH AND LET THE GAME COME TO HIM SOME TIME.THERE ARE SOME GUARDS YOU CAN BEAT AND SOME YOU CAN'T.THEY HAVE A TALENT TOO.
HoosierDbag

Marysville, OH

#301 Jan 19, 2008
Hoosiers Ugly, period.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Justice will out, but what about Paterno's record? (Nov '11) Nov '11 caroline 3
News Chambers changes the hoops culture at PSU (Nov '11) Nov '11 ems 1
News Surprise coaching search begins at Penn State (May '11) May '11 415TRUTHER 2
News Source: Penn State's DeChellis heading to Navy (May '11) May '11 dufus 5
News On top, close to home | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 FLABUCK 2
News Game preview: Ohio State at Penn State | Buckey... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Tommy Hrinz 2
News Penn State 36, Wisconsin 33 (Mar '11) Mar '11 PeteP 2
More from around the web