Hoosiers ugly but effective in road v...

Hoosiers ugly but effective in road victory

There are 295 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 18, 2008, titled Hoosiers ugly but effective in road victory. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Indiana committed a season-high 26 turnovers and made just two of its final 13 shots Thursday night on the road against Minnesota.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
COLTS FAN

Delaware, OH

#1 Jan 18, 2008
Wow, the Barn is a tough place to play. Give Minnesota credit Tubby has them playing great defense. As ugly as it was for IU with all the turnovers, and it was ugly, I really thought our guys deserved a lot of credit for hanging in there. The IU teams of old would have been frustrated and just given up. I think it showed some maturity on our part to keep battling. It was also good to know with Eric struggling and getting in foul trouble, we had some other guys step up. The bench came in and got it done! It was great to get the win.
Mr Melon

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jan 18, 2008
I like the fact that they keep playing hard even though nothing seems to go right. They may not win a NC this year, but after watching games like this, I have no doubt they'll at least play hard....
Tennessee Hoosier

Franklin, TN

#3 Jan 18, 2008
That was probably as miserable as I've ever been watching an IU team play. If this is all they are capable of (barely escaping Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota..the basement dwellers), then INDIANA will get throttled when we play at Wisconsin and at MSU. Purdue is bound to give IU hell too. I had to turn the game off with about 6 min left. It was just too hard to watch.
Give them time

Chesterfield, MO

#4 Jan 18, 2008
TN Hoosier -

Just remember that IU played a fairly weak non-conference schedule, so this has been the freshmens first look at competition at this level. I think this team will continue to mature and improve throughout the season.

Also, its hard to win on the road in the Big Ten, and we already have 3 road wins, which puts us in a very good position.
GARY ATKISON

Bloomington, IN

#5 Jan 18, 2008
After every iu game I have these questions
1. Why doesn't KS start Lance Stemler?
2. Why does KS motion offense have so little motion and a lot of stand around and looks like it is playing in slow motion?
3.How good will Jerome Crawford get?
4. Why do I think IU underachieve most of the time?
PLAYA

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Jan 18, 2008
This is how we played when I was at IU, always won the close ones.
Jeremy Johnson

Douglasville, GA

#7 Jan 18, 2008
Ugly win? Huh? I remember MANY key trips to Minnesota (especially in the Bob Knight 18 win seasons and the Davis era debacle) that IU not only lost, but lost UGLY. Too many turnovers? Yes. Sloppy? Yes. Score more points than opponent? Yes. IU proved it cold win in a tough environment with its best player having a terrible game. Remember when IU has stars in the past that were shut down?(Guyton, Wright). They wold lose those games. Sampson is flat out kicking arse in the Big Ten. ALREADY!
Jeremy Johnson

Douglasville, GA

#8 Jan 18, 2008
Tennessee Hoosier....are you saying that it is harder to watch this team now than in Knight's final years? Are you KIDDING??????????
Fellow TN Hoosier

Lansing, MI

#9 Jan 18, 2008
Tennessee Hoosier wrote:
That was probably as miserable as I've ever been watching an IU team play. If this is all they are capable of (barely escaping Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota..the basement dwellers), then INDIANA will get throttled when we play at Wisconsin and at MSU. Purdue is bound to give IU hell too. I had to turn the game off with about 6 min left. It was just too hard to watch.
They must put crazy pills in the water over there in Antioch. Did you notice we won? Most years we would have lost that game. By the way, MN is 12-4 and 2-2 in the Big 10. Not exactly bottom a dweller. Iowa beat MSU @ IA and IL well....we won. Now go have yourself a good time Nashville and cheer up.
chas0154

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Jan 18, 2008
Why are so many fans in panic mode? Outside of DJ, this is not a veteran team. You had to know that Tubby would have his boys ready for this game, for he is a great coach who got a raw deal at KY. His strategy was obvious and well thought out -- pressure the ball and try to deny DJ as much as possible. Certainly, IU's passing was suspect, especially when breaking the trap. However, consider that with Gordon having a rough night, IU has such depth and athleticism that other players were able to step up. Previous IU squads would have melted under such pressure. I thought that down the stretch IU showed a lot of poise. I expect that MN is going to give every B10 team a fight this year. They will likely end up being the most improved team in the conference. All in all, this ugly win should give IU and its fans a big shot of confidence going in to the next phase of the schedule. 15-1, 4-0, top 10 ranking = congrats to KS on a great season to date!!
dave

Fort Wayne, IN

#11 Jan 18, 2008
I really like this team! They are tough! The Barn has chewed up many previous IU teams (remember losing up there by 50 with Damon?) Fans need to hang in there and keep supporting them just like the players have to hang tough when the calls seem horrible and the shots won't fall. Never give up!
CLD

United States

#12 Jan 18, 2008
Set a pick every once in a while. It drove me nuts watching them pass a then trade places with another player. Please make an effort to set a pick. Here in Indiana we all know what it is!!! We were taught to do it at birth!!! If Eric Gordon ever expects to take the next step the kind of laziness he and others displayed last night ain't gonna cut it. I am not jumping off a bridge, I just don't want these things popping up in big games later in the year.
Show some love

Warsaw, IN

#15 Jan 18, 2008
Geez, the Hoosiers open up the Big 10 with three out of four games on the road, are 4-0, and people are complaining. It's only the middle of January! This team is loaded with talent but is young, with only their first year of playing together. There are valuable lessons they're learning, as they pull out a W from another ugly game. These guys are tough, and KS will have them peaking when it counts: in March, not January. Go Hoosiers!
Cliff Zeider

United States

#13 Jan 18, 2008
Hey, This is Big, nothing like a road win in the Big Ten, Coach really had this team prepared.
The Streak

Dayton, OH

#14 Jan 18, 2008
Our coach is still a cheater. Wouldn't it be nice if our wins weren't tainted by that fact?
Where is Alex Lifeson

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Jan 18, 2008
Think we'll hear from Alex today?
Fellow TN Hoosier

Lansing, MI

#17 Jan 18, 2008
The Streak wrote:
Our coach is still a cheater. Wouldn't it be nice if our wins weren't tainted by that fact?
No

Since: Nov 07

Newport, KY

#18 Jan 18, 2008
As tough as this game was to watch, those of us who stuck with it were rewarded with an IU victory to celebrate. Stemler hit another big shot and we won despite playing awful basketball.

A ROAD win is a ROAD win...
brickyardd

Noblesville, IN

#19 Jan 18, 2008
Obviously IU has a long way to go. So far they have been able to win with their talent and athletic ability, but unless they they get some kind of "team" offense together they will go nowhere. How many times is a shot taken by the man bringing the ball up the court without one pass? Gordon is trying to do too much, he needs to slow down a notch and quit trying to dribble through double and triple teams..and ease up on his passes. If IU ever gets their offense in gear they will be very hard to beat.
jmoyars

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Jan 18, 2008
Good win for IU. If they hold up home court they could finish in the top 2 spots in the BIG TEN.
It is amazing how someone gets called for 3 fouls in one half, does not change how he plays and never picks up another one.
Gordon really struggled handling the ball last night. Good road test for IU. But not the hardest place to play. Going to Wisconsin and MSU are the hardest places to play. IU will be 5-0 after this weekend. IU started to play as a team as the bench did a great job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trail Blazers 'like what Tim Frazier brings' at... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Fartman 2
News Justice will out, but what about Paterno's record? (Nov '11) Nov '11 caroline 3
News Chambers changes the hoops culture at PSU (Nov '11) Nov '11 ems 1
News Surprise coaching search begins at Penn State (May '11) May '11 415TRUTHER 2
News Source: Penn State's DeChellis heading to Navy (May '11) May '11 dufus 5
News On top, close to home | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 FLABUCK 2
News Game preview: Ohio State at Penn State | Buckey... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Tommy Hrinz 2
More from around the web