OSU men's basketball: Diebler right o...

OSU men's basketball: Diebler right on target | BuckeyeXtra

There are 37 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 11, 2011, titled OSU men's basketball: Diebler right on target | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Browse and buy at OSUPhotoStore.com " href="/live/export-content/sites/dispatch/sports/stories/2011/02/11/osu-mbk-2-11-art-g75bjapi-1ncl-osumbball19-0451-large-jpg-large.jpg" class="lightbox"> Browse and buy at OSUPhotoStore.com " /> Neal C. Lauron Dispatch Jon Diebler has made 328 three-pointers in his career, four short of the official Big Ten ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Random

Columbus, OH

#22 Feb 11, 2011
Congrats to Diebler for focusing on self-improvement and making it happen; I confess his first year I was not at all certain he would or even could turn into the player that he has. His defense has improved dramatically (not perfect but definitely much better), and he is doing more with the ball offensively than just lining up threes with improved passing and even the occasional drive to the hoop. When he *does* hit his threes, you can almost physically feel the confidence it lends to the other players on the court.

There is a small, snide part of me that wants to suggest that any after-hours visits to the gym, by others on the team, be invested toward free throw shooting before that particular issue bites them in the rear.
mittymjs

Shippensburg, PA

#23 Feb 11, 2011
Jon is part of a very good TEAM and when you consider he is part of the outside shooting group of Jon, Buford, David and Craft - that has got to be tough to defend for anybody. Just looking at shooting, if Jon has an off game he hits maybe 2 threes like at Minn. But then just one of those other three guys gets hot and makes up for Jon. If however, Jon gets hot - he makes 5 or 6 threes and really changes the defensive dynamic of our opponants defense. And of course this opens up other scoring opportunities for us and God knows we have the weapons to take advantage of them i.e. our post up game. Now if just two of those four are in the game together and both hot - wow because our post up game becomes explosive. We are blessed with an enormity of talent! Let our opponants BIGS double team JS!! We will play the BEST defensive team in the country Sat. and win or lose it will be a valuable experience for us. Will Wis. shut down ALL 4 of our shooters???
Greg

Katy, TX

#24 Feb 11, 2011
Outside of JJ the recent batch of basketball Buckeyes have been my favorite to watch (Turner, Diebler, Sullenger, Lighty, Lauderdale). From a distance, they all seem like GREAT kids and genuinely like each other, very little ego. It's refreshing.
BHints

Cincinnati, OH

#25 Feb 11, 2011
Is it Saturday yet?! Good grief. This six-days-off-between-games crap sucks.
Brutus

United States

#26 Feb 11, 2011
Beat wisc. We have to get revenge for what they did to our number 1 ranked football team.
Clint

Cincinnati, OH

#27 Feb 11, 2011
Big Game tomorrow in Madison ,Wi at the Kohl Center .. The 24 - 0 Buckeyes take on the Badgers who are 149 - 11 in ten seasons at the Kohl Center under Bo Ryan . Go Basketball Bucks and ....Diebler needs to hit several three's .
Buckeye Dave in NC

United States

#28 Feb 11, 2011
Groan! They just moved Vitale from the Pitt-Nova game to do the OSU/Wisky game. He must be hoping that he is there to see the OSU win streak end but he will be very disappointed!
GulfCoast

Bradenton, FL

#29 Feb 11, 2011
Very good article, but not entirely accurate.
Jon scored 3,208 in his H.S. career, at Upper Sandusky from 2004 through 2007 and averaged 28 ppg as a freshman at Fostoria in 2003. I believe he broke 50 in one game as a mere freshman starting on the Fostoria High School varsity team along with his elder brother Jake.
Foster is okay

Westerville, OH

#30 Feb 11, 2011
BHints wrote:
<quoted text>
Every one of his 328 threes came against bad defenders.
Bhints is Tom Crean!
John

Alger, OH

#31 Feb 12, 2011
rls321321 wrote:
For three years we have lived with Matta playing Diebler as a starter, when it wasn't deserved. Any player that you let play for four years (regardless
if he earned it) will be decent player by year four.
This the first year he has looked confident as a player. Very much a one dimensional player who should have been the type of guy who comes off the bench
for instant offense. Jon is also very much exposed by good defenders. I have no idea why this guy plays 40 minutes. Unbelievable.
one word for your comments IDIOT!

Since: Dec 10

Columbus, Ohio

#32 Feb 12, 2011
Stuck in the Stone Age wrote:
OSU needs Diebler to be the proverbial nail in the coffin of other teams now, especially, come March and maybe April. Nothing like a 3 pointer to stop a comeback or take back the lead late in a game. Can he be Mr. Clutch like Evan Turner, Ron Lewis, Matt Sylvester, et al have been for Matta's Buckeyes?
Diebler will never be the nail in the coffin as he refuses to drive to the basket and take a hard foul.

Columbus, Ohio

#33 Feb 12, 2011
FLABUCK wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that's a problem for him. He seems to hit shots when they are needed. Unlike most players who either thrive under pressure or fail, Diebler is consistent in that if he is open, he will make the shot. It doesn't matter if they are up by 20 or down by 2. That's what makes him such a pure shooter. When he gets the ball outside and is open, the situation doesn't matter. He just goes through his motion and hits shots.
the key words "and is open", he is a Senior for gosh sakes so take it to the rim and don't be a sissy about getting a hard foul.
casey d jax fl

Jacksonville, FL

#34 Feb 12, 2011
Its been a joy watching Jon's game grow since he has been as OSU. He has become a great player for us and I hope he continues his great run today.
rls321321

Springfield, OH

#35 Feb 12, 2011
Goodsons wrote:
Diebler scored more points than anyone else in the history of Ohio high-school basketball - 3,208 at Upper Sandusky from 2003 through 2007 - and was named Mr. Basketball as a senior.
John's first years in High School were at Fostoria HS, before his Dad took the Head Basketball job at Upper Sandusky. Not all points were scored for the Rams.
----------
I am assuming you know nothing about basketball, or u didn't read my post. Sullinger and Craft should be playing as freshman b/c
they are more than good enough. Jon did not earn his playing time in the first few years. So Matta's "project" has taken 3 years to develop. If Jon is guarded closely,(which he usually is not due to the defenses choosing to guard better players) he disappears.
he cannot put the ball on the floor and create his own shot.

Signed,
High School basketball coach for 15 years.

Columbus, Ohio

#36 Feb 12, 2011
rls321321 wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
I am assuming you know nothing about basketball, or u didn't read my post. Sullinger and Craft should be playing as freshman b/c
they are more than good enough. Jon did not earn his playing time in the first few years. So Matta's "project" has taken 3 years to develop. If Jon is guarded closely,(which he usually is not due to the defenses choosing to guard better players) he disappears.
Signed,
You proved your point today. Diebler gets 9 points again today. Terrible, a Senior and he shows no leadership in a BIG game.
PhillyBuck

Raleigh, NC

#37 Feb 13, 2011
rls321321 wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
Signed,
A lot of HS coaches just don't know basketball. I can see you are one of those, if you ever coached at all.

In 07-08 Diebler got 21 MPG, 6th on a very average OSU team. Who should have gotten those minutes? Terwilliger? Lauderdale? Wallace? PJ Hill? Madsen? Peters? Titus? Let's face it, besides Butler we didn't really have a 3-pt shooter, so he got more minutes than a pure frosh would usually get.

Since then he has played his role on this team (which you call one-dimensional) and improved every year. His sophomore year he was 3rd in the B10 in 3PT FG%, 2nd as a Jr., currently 2nd in his Sr. year.

You will have to tell me whose minutes he has been given unfairly? BJ Mullens? PJ Hill? Simmons?

Sounds like you are a make-believe coach, who for some reason has decided that Diebler is "unworthy" but really have nothing but your lame opinion to back it up. Perhaps he scored a few too many of those HS points against you and your well-coached team?
PhillyBuck

Raleigh, NC

#38 Feb 13, 2011
That-boy inColumbus wrote:
<quoted text>You proved your point today. Diebler gets 9 points again today. Terrible, a Senior and he shows no leadership in a BIG game.
The only point proved today was that some OSU "fans" are jackholes who attack our own players - players who have kept a clean nose and worked hard and improved for 4 years.

Diebler averages 11 PPG for 23 wins, and he scores 9 in our first loss and that demonstrates "no leadership"?

It only demonstrates how little you know about college basketball and how little this team needs "fans" like you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trail Blazers 'like what Tim Frazier brings' at... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Fartman 2
News Justice will out, but what about Paterno's record? (Nov '11) Nov '11 caroline 3
News Chambers changes the hoops culture at PSU (Nov '11) Nov '11 ems 1
News Surprise coaching search begins at Penn State (May '11) May '11 415TRUTHER 2
News Source: Penn State's DeChellis heading to Navy (May '11) May '11 dufus 5
News On top, close to home | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 FLABUCK 2
News Game preview: Ohio State at Penn State | Buckey... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Tommy Hrinz 2
More from around the web