OSU men's basketball: Diebler right on target | BuckeyeXtra

There are 37 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 11, 2011, titled OSU men's basketball: Diebler right on target | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Browse and buy at OSUPhotoStore.com " href="/live/export-content/sites/dispatch/sports/stories/2011/02/11/osu-mbk-2-11-art-g75bjapi-1ncl-osumbball19-0451-large-jpg-large.jpg" class="lightbox"> Browse and buy at OSUPhotoStore.com " /> Neal C. Lauron Dispatch Jon Diebler has made 328 three-pointers in his career, four short of the official Big Ten ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jaxbuck

Jacksonville, FL

#1 Feb 11, 2011
Congratulations to Jon and the whole team. I'll be cheering for you against Wisc. Wouldn't it be great for Jon to break the record against them on Saturday !!!! Then keep adding more as you raise the bar higher and higher.... I am one of those fans that had the pleaseure to watch the 60-61 team up close and personal,but I can tell you,I really enjoy watching this team as they seem to roll with an unusual level of confidance and poise especially under extreme pressure near the end of a game..Just keep it going. GO BUCKS !
Stuck in the Stone Age

Greenville, GA

#2 Feb 11, 2011
OSU needs Diebler to be the proverbial nail in the coffin of other teams now, especially, come March and maybe April. Nothing like a 3 pointer to stop a comeback or take back the lead late in a game. Can he be Mr. Clutch like Evan Turner, Ron Lewis, Matt Sylvester, et al have been for Matta's Buckeyes?
RSouthard

Uniontown, OH

#3 Feb 11, 2011
Great to hear positive things on any individual and how they over came adversity through hard work!
Mike

Lima, OH

#4 Feb 11, 2011
Prediction - if Jon breaks the record against Wisconsin OSU wins by double digits.
Net Guru

Columbia, SC

#5 Feb 11, 2011
He's a true team player. With Sully on the block and Diebler out wide, teams have to pick their poison.

“Bleeding Scarlet and Gray!”

Since: Sep 09

Worthington

#6 Feb 11, 2011
Stuck in the Stone Age wrote:
OSU needs Diebler to be the proverbial nail in the coffin of other teams now, especially, come March and maybe April. Nothing like a 3 pointer to stop a comeback or take back the lead late in a game. Can he be Mr. Clutch like Evan Turner, Ron Lewis, Matt Sylvester, et al have been for Matta's Buckeyes?
I don't think that's a problem for him. He seems to hit shots when they are needed. Unlike most players who either thrive under pressure or fail, Diebler is consistent in that if he is open, he will make the shot. It doesn't matter if they are up by 20 or down by 2. That's what makes him such a pure shooter. When he gets the ball outside and is open, the situation doesn't matter. He just goes through his motion and hits shots.
tharvey

North Fort Myers, FL

#7 Feb 11, 2011
Will realy miss Jon D. He's been among the most exciting OSU players to watch. "Thanks for the memories Jon"...
DiebsDaMan

Columbus, OH

#8 Feb 11, 2011
Get that record tomorrow, Diebs, and help bring a win back from Madison !!
BHints

Cincinnati, OH

#9 Feb 11, 2011
Mike wrote:
Prediction - if Jon breaks the record against Wisconsin OSU wins by double digits.
Great point. I agree.

I thought this was a really good article. Bob does a good job of getting past the basketball analysis and digging the human aspect out of these stories.
rls321321

Springboro, OH

#10 Feb 11, 2011
For three years we have lived with Matta playing Diebler as a starter, when it wasn't deserved. Any player that you let play for four years (regardless
if he earned it) will be decent player by year four.
This the first year he has looked confident as a player. Very much a one dimensional player who should have been the type of guy who comes off the bench
for instant offense. Jon is also very much exposed by good defenders. I have no idea why this guy plays 40 minutes. Unbelievable.
Mike in Raleigh

Carthage, NC

#11 Feb 11, 2011
At Minny, the Bucks were up about 11 points and they noted Diebs hadn't scored. It told my wife "he's going to hit a couple of key shots late in this game". After Minny took the one-point lead with a 3, Diebs, under some pressure, hit the 3 that answered. It was basically on cue.
He missed the next one which would have cushioned the lead, but 50% isn't bad at all.
Go Bucks.
Beat Wisky!!
BHints

Cincinnati, OH

#12 Feb 11, 2011
rls321321 wrote:
For three years we have lived with Matta playing Diebler as a starter, when it wasn't deserved. Any player that you let play for four years (regardless
This the first year he has looked confident as a player. Very much a one dimensional player who should have been the type of guy who comes off the bench
for instant offense. Jon is also very much exposed by good defenders. I have no idea why this guy plays 40 minutes. Unbelievable.
Every one of his 328 threes came against bad defenders.
fedup

Millersburg, OH

#13 Feb 11, 2011
rls321321 wrote:
Yeah - this Matta guy is an idiot. Why is he playing Sullinger so much? He is just a freshman and everyone can see he just does not cut it - always smiling - no attitude for a big10 basketball player. And this Lighty guy - after 5 years he ought to be a whole lot better than he is now. And this Craft kid? Ain't no freshman should be playing point guard. This team is lucky to win a game - let alone not lose one.
Goodsons

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Feb 11, 2011
Diebler scored more points than anyone else in the history of Ohio high-school basketball - 3,208 at Upper Sandusky from 2003 through 2007 - and was named Mr. Basketball as a senior.

John's first years in High School were at Fostoria HS, before his Dad took the Head Basketball job at Upper Sandusky. Not all points were scored for the Rams.
Brutus

United States

#16 Feb 11, 2011
rls321321 wrote:
Where have you coached? I hope your kid doesn't play sports. I can see you may be one of those parents who whine and moan when your kid doesn't get to play. What is unbelievable is there are a lot of people like you who think they know what they are talking about when they don't.
Joshua

Tiffin, OH

#17 Feb 11, 2011
Jon actually didn't attend Upper Sandusky from 03-07. His freshman year was at Fostoria.
PhillyBuck

Raleigh, NC

#18 Feb 11, 2011
fedup wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah - this Matta guy is an idiot. Why is he playing Sullinger so much? He is just a freshman and everyone can see he just does not cut it - always smiling - no attitude for a big10 basketball player. And this Lighty guy - after 5 years he ought to be a whole lot better than he is now. And this Craft kid? Ain't no freshman should be playing point guard. This team is lucky to win a game - let alone not lose one.
Yeah, its crazy - why doesn't Matta listen to our genius "fans"?

They know exactly who deserves to play - don't get confused by the wins and losses, or the fact that Diebler has been a great 3 pt shooter for 3 years - go with the guy who says "anyone could get better after 3 years"!

He's right up there with the guys who say "only play him when he is hitting them"!
dude

Columbus, OH

#19 Feb 11, 2011
I hope Dieb's gets a shot at the next level. Every team needs a guy who knows how to shoot. Every other guy in the NBA knows how to take it down the lane for a dunk.
olbuck

Smyrna, TN

#20 Feb 11, 2011
Stuck in the Stone Age wrote:
"Stuck" For once your comments make sense, thank you for your "right on" comments. Jon's game has improved dramatically this season by putting the ball on the floor and driving, also his willingness to mix it up underneath and rebound more.
Go Bucks kick Wisky's butt!
Tony

Saint Louis, MO

#21 Feb 11, 2011
rls321321 wrote:
Your "expertise" of the game is sorely lacking. Obviously, you're no coach. If so, I doubt your teams play well. The blatant stupidity in questioning Matta, or any college coach for that matter, shows your complete lack of knowledge for the game and/or top level players. Let me use your word....UNBELIEVABLE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Justice will out, but what about Paterno's record? (Nov '11) Nov '11 caroline 3
News Chambers changes the hoops culture at PSU (Nov '11) Nov '11 ems 1
News Surprise coaching search begins at Penn State (May '11) May '11 415TRUTHER 2
News Source: Penn State's DeChellis heading to Navy (May '11) May '11 dufus 5
News On top, close to home | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 FLABUCK 2
News Game preview: Ohio State at Penn State | Buckey... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Tommy Hrinz 2
News Penn State 36, Wisconsin 33 (Mar '11) Mar '11 PeteP 2
More from around the web