Gophers fall at Penn State, damaging NCAA hopes

After their fifth loss in the past eight games, a 68-63 misstep against Penn State on Saturday, the Gophers have every reason to be concerned about making the NCAA tournament. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Doowrehs

Zimmerman, MN

#3 Feb 14, 2009
Very similar to the Gopher's football fortunes collapsing this year, these B ballers are another bunch of pretenders that can't carry off a respectible finish. I doubt they will get past the first round of the NIT.
Tybalt

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Feb 14, 2009
these guys better step it up...
Dan in SoCal

Tarzana, CA

#5 Feb 14, 2009
They are playing like freshmen in the pre season most of the BT season. I am looking ahead at next year.
Doc T

Daytona Beach, FL

#6 Feb 14, 2009
Gophers are still much improved this season, but I think we jumped ahead of the team in fans excitement for meaningful college hoops again in the TC. The Gophers are a bubble team that may or may not make the tourney. This doesn't help, of course. But let's keep a little perspective. Tubby has a program that is one its way up and gaining respectability.
Ed D

Auburn, WA

#7 Feb 14, 2009
This game was so frustrating because we should have won that game. Devoe Joseph, great shooter, but should not have been handling point guard duties in the last three minutes of the game. Two turnovers with under 3min. A travel and then he lost his dribble which Penn State converted to a lay-up (and fouled on for a three point play). Way too much carelessness with the basketball at point for Joseph. Great shooter, so should be at the #2 spot all the time, but not at point.
bigjim

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Feb 14, 2009
joseph had no business handling the ball with three minutes left in a tight game, then if you foul a guy going for a layup make sure he doesnt make it, that was just a horrible sequence that pretty much ended the game. This team has seamed to have lost its heart and desire to win the other team seems to want it more, I think that goes to coaching.
JAJ1957

Rochester, MN

#9 Feb 15, 2009
Very young team but still should make the tourney with all the wins over ranked teams.
paddy691944

Prescott, AZ

#10 Feb 15, 2009
you ever notice how the intensity picks up towards the end of the game when the gophers are losing. with 11 deep on roster, why not play with that intensity out of the blocks. love to watch one game like that.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#11 Feb 15, 2009
Must be something about losing to NorthWestern that ruins your season, just ask the football team.
Joe

International Falls, MN

#12 Feb 15, 2009
They played Penn State not Northwestern. They had problems with turn overs at the end and the officiating was very inconsistent where PS recieved a ton of free throws on some very questionable calls. They were in the bonus half way through the first half, give me a break. I am not saying officiating lost the game but it was not consistent for both teams. Gopher swill have to secure the BB if they plan to move on.
Mad Dog Gus

United States

#13 Feb 15, 2009
A lack of consistent go-to players is handcuffing this team.

Shuffling players for the first two thirds of the game just trying to find the "hot" hand, then spending the rest of the game trying to feed the "hot" hand, isn't really basketball.

There are no Micheal Jordan's on this team...how about putting the ball in the hoop, no matter who's out there.
Hooper

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Feb 15, 2009
Guys,

The reason the Gophs lost was NOT the terrible officiating, it was the fact they could not make any shots down the stretch and could not break down my Grandma off the dribble!

That said..........

I usually never am the one to ever complain about officials but this was one of the WORST performances by an officiating crew ever. The league needs to do a revue of Big 10 officials immediately! Dont people take pride in their jobs?

Dont get me wrong. Ive seen it go both ways too so its not a travesty against the Gophs (Illinois game comes to mind)
Dan in SoCal

Tarzana, CA

#15 Feb 15, 2009
I believe we are thinking the same thing - Tubby, come clean, be honest and open, and tell us like it is - what is really going on? Are you confused by this team? Are players pressing and you have no answer? Did you fail to coach when we needed your leadership (i.e., Joseph with the ball at the end)? Be transparent and tell us really what is going on? Be a man, be the coach tax payers in Minn. are paying for, be a LEADER.
TopGunn

Rochester, MN

#16 Feb 15, 2009
Guards dribbling around until there are 5-7 seconds left on the shot clock is not an offense. I see little motion, no back door cuts, screens and picks that a 5th grade girls team could avoid. Our guard play is really letting us down. I think Tubby wants them to feed the post but as hard as those guys are working for position they just don't get the ball consistently.
toivo 2 feathers

West Richland, WA

#17 Feb 15, 2009
this team simply cant shoot!! how many games is this that they have had less than 10 points in the first 10 minutes of play. they miss lay-up and shoots right under the basket.
Nick

Stillwater, MN

#18 Feb 15, 2009
Fired Tubby Smith
Bring back Clem Haskens
Dr Izzill

Barnesville, OH

#19 Feb 15, 2009
God, they are hard to watch. But been a fan too long to give up. I find it surprising that Tubby has any hair left.
Chocolate Guy

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Feb 15, 2009
Hey munions, it's a LONG season. Teams go through slumps....every team does, so relax and let these guys play through it. Are they as good as we thought? Maybe not. Are they as bad as everybody now wants to think? Not at all.
It's a young team. Don't be jumping on and off the band wagon. Did Tubby all of a sudden forget how to coach? I don't think so. He's one of the best. He knows his team and what they can or cannot do, so just let him handle it.
Think back to how bad things were 2-3 years ago under Monson. At least now we have some hope.
SIT NOLAN

United States

#21 Feb 15, 2009
The Gophers need better play from their point guard. Nolan is lost out on the court. Spends too much time with the ball in his hands. Slow with decisions! A 6'1" guard is no match for two 6'10" forwards, Duh!
DD Austin

United States

#22 Feb 15, 2009
Worry? Are you kidding me! You tell me where worrying has ever helped anyone under any conditions. Let me clue you in - worrying is a big waste of time. Worrying is for losers. Worrying gets you absolutely nowhere!To win in life you have to forget the past, focus on the future, and expect to win!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Justice will out, but what about Paterno's record? (Nov '11) Nov '11 caroline 3
Chambers changes the hoops culture at PSU (Nov '11) Nov '11 ems 1
Surprise coaching search begins at Penn State (May '11) May '11 415TRUTHER 2
Source: Penn State's DeChellis heading to Navy (May '11) May '11 dufus 5
On top, close to home | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 FLABUCK 2
Game preview: Ohio State at Penn State | Buckey... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Tommy Hrinz 2
Penn State 36, Wisconsin 33 (Mar '11) Mar '11 PeteP 2
•••
•••

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••