Men's basketball: Late three helps OS...

Men's basketball: Late three helps OSU hold off upset bid | Buc...

There are 12 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 4, 2010, titled Men's basketball: Late three helps OSU hold off upset bid | Buc.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

William Buford of Ohio State is fouled by Cammeron Woodyard of Penn State. Buford finished with 19 points and five assists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Janice

Lexington, KY

#1 Feb 4, 2010
Turner got his 10th rebound at the end of the game. With just a few seconds to go, he then just sort of carried the ball down the court, and then looked back at the ref and rolled his hands in a "walking" penalty gesture toward the ref. Totally classless and rude. Does he think that ref won't remember the next time he officiates an OSU game? I don't know if it was the same ref, but at the end of an earlier game, when Turner was just walking the ball down the court to run off the seconds, he was called for traveling -- the ball was given to the opponent with 2+ seconds (as it should have been). The game was well in hand so it didn't matter, but when the seconds rolled off, Turner took a cut behind the opponents' bench and went straight to the locker room. No shaking hands -- very poor sportsmanship and lack of respect for the other team, all because he was being stupid. He's an incredible player, but I hope Coach Matta sees this and puts an end to it. Turner has become a prima donna and I, for one, don't like it at all. Grow up, Evan, and stop reading your press.
Matt

Owatonna, MN

#2 Feb 4, 2010
Turner Lighty and Diebs all play 40 minutes last night with Bue playing 33. I hope we aren't burning the boys out. We need to get the bench involved so if they have to step in and produce they are able to do so.
Brutus

Monclova, OH

#3 Feb 4, 2010
Janice wrote:
Turner got his 10th rebound at the end of the game. With just a few seconds to go, he then just sort of carried the ball down the court, and then looked back at the ref and rolled his hands in a "walking" penalty gesture toward the ref. Totally classless and rude. Does he think that ref won't remember the next time he officiates an OSU game? I don't know if it was the same ref, but at the end of an earlier game, when Turner was just walking the ball down the court to run off the seconds, he was called for traveling -- the ball was given to the opponent with 2+ seconds (as it should have been). The game was well in hand so it didn't matter, but when the seconds rolled off, Turner took a cut behind the opponents' bench and went straight to the locker room. No shaking hands -- very poor sportsmanship and lack of respect for the other team, all because he was being stupid. He's an incredible player, but I hope Coach Matta sees this and puts an end to it. Turner has become a prima donna and I, for one, don't like it at all. Grow up, Evan, and stop reading your press.
I think you are reading too much into the end of the game last night. If the ref thought it was that important to charge Turner with a walking penalty, he would've done it. Did you also see Evan Turner going to sign some autographs for some little kids at the end of the game? I'm sure you would chastise him for doing that too.
Janice

Lexington, KY

#4 Feb 4, 2010
Brutus wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are reading too much into the end of the game last night. If the ref thought it was that important to charge Turner with a walking penalty, he would've done it. Did you also see Evan Turner going to sign some autographs for some little kids at the end of the game? I'm sure you would chastise him for doing that too.
I know he is good to the kids (they all are) and have seen that -- and hopefully he was just joking with the ref. It didn't look like it, but I don't know. I just greatly appreciate that our teams, generally, are very good sports with little to no taunting, in-your-face type stuff. I like to see them do their jobs and go on to the next play. Don't get me wrong, when someone does something extraordinary, it's great to see them excited - I certainly am. Our coaches have a lot of class and I hope the players learn by their example. It will help them in life and their future careers. I do have to remember they are very young and still learning.
gobballbucks

Columbus, OH

#5 Feb 4, 2010
I never really thought PSU had a chance, yeah they got close, but the kids pulled through.

ET and Buford are going to be tough in the tourney, if they had a bench and a solid center...a final four run would be a given, still will be fun to watch!

Go Bucks!
mckbuckeye

Celina, OH

#6 Feb 4, 2010
Where was PJ Hill? Did he do something wrong?? Thought he could have helped out by harassing Battle!
OSUcrew

Findlay, OH

#7 Feb 4, 2010
Janice..lighten up, geesh. You probably were a prude that stayed at the library to study on game night. This isn't 1955..get with the times!

As much disrespect Turner gets from opposing players and crowds it's a testament to his character that he hasn't blown up. He's a KID...NOT a 40 year old man. He's a joking-natured guy..he's just having fun, quit raining on his parade!

“Bleeding Scarlet and Gray!”

Since: Sep 09

Worthington

#8 Feb 4, 2010
Turner was just joking with the ref...he is a very colorful guy on and off the court. Lay off him.
bsharp

Pickerington, OH

#9 Feb 4, 2010
I noticed that stuff also. I sorta agree with Janice and her detractors. Evan is a young guy and naturally he likes to show a bit of personality here and there. And his general demeanor and displays of personal class have been outstanding. But it is a bit disrespectful to the game and the refs to not play within the rules of the game to the very last second.

I'll try to see it as a sign that he is still enjoying the college game and not ready to go to the NBA where every shot, every dribble and every word to the press is a business move.
Janice

Lexington, KY

#10 Feb 4, 2010
OSUcrew wrote:
Janice..lighten up, geesh. You probably were a prude that stayed at the library to study on game night. This isn't 1955..get with the times!
As much disrespect Turner gets from opposing players and crowds it's a testament to his character that he hasn't blown up. He's a KID...NOT a 40 year old man. He's a joking-natured guy..he's just having fun, quit raining on his parade!
No prude here, thanks ... you'd be surprised if you knew me. I love our Buckeyes, that's all, and want them all to be the best they can be. Please notice my last line in last post -- I DO need to remember they are kids, I sometimes forget that. But I wasn't the only one in the crowd to think this, I wasn't the first to mention it -- I hope I was wrong. BTW, I am a big fan of all sports ... and enjoy attending all and not just home games, just fyi. Thanks for your kindness.
Mrs Terry Clark

Wapakoneta, OH

#11 Feb 4, 2010
It's not fair to say such critical things about Evan Turner if you don't *really* know him. I think that I would want to be absolutely sure of what was said or done and the reason before I said anything about him. Everything that I've read and heard about Evan would make me proud to be his Mom.
OSUfan

Reynoldsburg, OH

#12 Feb 6, 2010
Both Evan and Jon Diebler stopped to sign autographs for kids after the game. The team has class. I don't think any disrespect was intended.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trail Blazers 'like what Tim Frazier brings' at... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Fartman 2
News Justice will out, but what about Paterno's record? (Nov '11) Nov '11 caroline 3
News Chambers changes the hoops culture at PSU (Nov '11) Nov '11 ems 1
News Surprise coaching search begins at Penn State (May '11) May '11 415TRUTHER 2
News Source: Penn State's DeChellis heading to Navy (May '11) May '11 dufus 5
News On top, close to home | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 FLABUCK 2
News Game preview: Ohio State at Penn State | Buckey... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Tommy Hrinz 2
More from around the web