Minnesota Gophers men's basketball te...

Minnesota Gophers men's basketball team tough enough to beat Pe...

There are 14 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Minnesota Gophers men's basketball team tough enough to beat Pe.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

This text is replaced by the Flash movie. What Lawrence Westbrook lacks in size, he makes up for with toughness and a lot of confidence - so much that you can't ignore it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Tommy B

United States

#1 Feb 25, 2008
Beat Purdue? give me a break-this will be a blow out! The Gophers have yet to beat a team with a winning reecord in the BT. NIT here we come!
Franklin Adams

Fargo, ND

#2 Feb 25, 2008
Tommy, it said on one of the other boards that you had died. Sorry it was not true.
Tommy B

United States

#3 Feb 25, 2008
Franklin Adams wrote:
Tommy, it said on one of the other boards that you had died. Sorry it was not true.
Thanks for caring. I've had nothing but compliments! Which board was that? Perhaps "Minnesota Sports Saps"?
Bill

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Feb 25, 2008
Tommy B wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for caring. I've had nothing but compliments! Which board was that? Perhaps "Minnesota Sports Saps"?
Whine, whine, whine.
Do you not remember? This is basically the very same team that was 9-22 last season. Going to a post season tournament, even if it were in Alaska, is better then anything lately.
Just sut your trap and go away.
b smith

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Feb 25, 2008
Wow, Tubby is getting a little more publicly critical of his team and I think that might be a good thing.

Hope they can pull it together for a good run during the rest of the season and in the Big Ten Tourney!

Go Gophs!
central mn guy

Saint Cloud, MN

#6 Feb 25, 2008
GO GOPHERS!!!
SOTIC

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 25, 2008
With Monson, the Gophers would have 10 wins, 3 in the Big Ten, and people would be complaining why we signed him to that 5 year contract. Any one with any brains can see that Tubby is doing a great job on the courts and off.

Tommy B. is a moron, critical of everything up here. Every team, every GM move, every player, every coach, etc. His posts bring no credibility, thought or logic. He posts on every board and brings nothing to them except the constant stupid negative remarks. There is nothing wrong with a deserved negative remark, but in this case, how idiotic can someone be. To be critial of the job Tubby has done up here for the Gophers is just plain silly.

The Gophers are an average team with the talent left behind. The Gophers will have a good chance being mediocre next year until his recruits mature.

No the Gophers have no signature wins, but considering we lost to Winona State at home last year, give me a break. I strongly doubt if this team will get a signature win this year and I can live with that.

He has this team playing pretty solid based on the talent.

To compare this situation to Bill Musselman in the early 70's is quite idiotic. The uneducated Tommy B. did this last week. Musselman had Jim Brewer coming in as Sophmore(remember freshman couldn't play then0, brought in some Junior College thugs - who totally embarrased the U by the time they left and found a baseball recruit(Dave Winfield) playing rec. ball at lunch there. Don't forget by the time Musselman left he had 100+ recruiting violations against him.

Congrats to Tubby and the team. I won't say that I will enjoy watching the team in the NIT, but it is a major step forward for this program.
Duh_

Eden Prairie, MN

#8 Feb 25, 2008
I'm pretty sure can't make 6 free throws while the other team goes on a 14-3 run.
Tim

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Feb 25, 2008
I'm just happy to see them make improvements this year. Just bodes even better for the future. Not to slight any of our current players, but all the recruits coming in so far would be starting on this squad if they were upper classmen as far as talent goes. The talent level is just going to keep going up and up as Tubby brings some top 25 class talent in here year after year.
Tommy B

United States

#11 Feb 25, 2008
SOTIC wrote:
With Monson, the Gophers would have 10 wins, 3 in the Big Ten, and people would be complaining why we signed him to that 5 year contract. Any one with any brains can see that Tubby is doing a great job on the courts and off.
Tommy B. is a moron, critical of everything up here. Every team, every GM move, every player, every coach, etc. His posts bring no credibility, thought or logic. He posts on every board and brings nothing to them except the constant stupid negative remarks. There is nothing wrong with a deserved negative remark, but in this case, how idiotic can someone be. To be critial of the job Tubby has done up here for the Gophers is just plain silly.
The Gophers are an average team with the talent left behind. The Gophers will have a good chance being mediocre next year until his recruits mature.
No the Gophers have no signature wins, but considering we lost to Winona State at home last year, give me a break. I strongly doubt if this team will get a signature win this year and I can live with that.
He has this team playing pretty solid based on the talent.
To compare this situation to Bill Musselman in the early 70's is quite idiotic. The uneducated Tommy B. did this last week. Musselman had Jim Brewer coming in as Sophmore(remember freshman couldn't play then0, brought in some Junior College thugs - who totally embarrased the U by the time they left and found a baseball recruit(Dave Winfield) playing rec. ball at lunch there. Don't forget by the time Musselman left he had 100+ recruiting violations against him.
Congrats to Tubby and the team. I won't say that I will enjoy watching the team in the NIT, but it is a major step forward for this program.
Well, I was there in 71 Mussleman was a freind of mine and Tubby, you're no Bill Mussleman. Is he better than Monson-who would'nt be? The jury is out of Tubby-the next two years will tell the tale aned either he will do the job and contend or will fold his tent and leave the way he did in KY. It is easy to criticize most MN teams-- as they all suck. Which one doesnt? Gopher BB team has yet to beat anyone in the RPI top 100
Tommy B

United States

#12 Feb 25, 2008
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Whine, whine, whine.
Do you not remember? This is basically the very same team that was 9-22 last season. Going to a post season tournament, even if it were in Alaska, is better then anything lately.
Just sut your trap and go away.
Hey pal, this is the internet and people make comments. If you want to go to a cheerleading board then go to gopherhole or another kool aid supplier. Comments don't mean you agree. If I don't like your posts I don't tell you to go away--grow up aned take off your marroon and gold colored glasses
Tommy B

United States

#13 Feb 25, 2008
Tom Shakopee wrote:
Tubby Smith is one of the game's best coaches. How he has not lost his mind with this team, I do not know. Great job Coach Smith. We love ya!!!!!!!!!!
Go Gophers go.
What flavour is the kool aid today??
andy g

Roswell, GA

#14 Feb 25, 2008
Tommy B wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I was there in 71 Mussleman was a freind of mine and Tubby, you're no Bill Mussleman. Is he better than Monson-who would'nt be? The jury is out of Tubby-the next two years will tell the tale aned either he will do the job and contend or will fold his tent and leave the way he did in KY. It is easy to criticize most MN teams-- as they all suck. Which one doesnt? Gopher BB team has yet to beat anyone in the RPI top 100
Musselmann would have won 11 games with this team, but they would put on a heck of a pregame show. I too was a fan of Bill the guy, but Bill the coach left a bit to be desired. Tubby has got more out of this team than I had hoped. they actually play relatively sound fundamentally, and if they could quell their nerves enough tohit freethrows,they would probably have two "signature"wins by now.
Mike

United States

#15 Feb 26, 2008
Say what you want about the Gophers this year but you have to admit that the turn around from the last couple of years is amazing. Credit goes to the players for working hard but to over look the contribution of Coach Smith is ridiculous. Here's hoping Tubby settles in at Williams Arena till he retires!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trail Blazers 'like what Tim Frazier brings' at... Jul '15 Fartman 2
News Justice will out, but what about Paterno's record? (Nov '11) Nov '11 caroline 3
News Chambers changes the hoops culture at PSU (Nov '11) Nov '11 ems 1
News Surprise coaching search begins at Penn State (May '11) May '11 415TRUTHER 2
News Source: Penn State's DeChellis heading to Navy (May '11) May '11 dufus 5
News On top, close to home | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 FLABUCK 2
News Game preview: Ohio State at Penn State | Buckey... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Tommy Hrinz 2
More from around the web