Shooter Now: Did Randy Moss cost Minn...

Shooter Now: Did Randy Moss cost Minnesota Vikings a shot at Blaine Gabbert?

There are 46 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 29, 2011, titled Shooter Now: Did Randy Moss cost Minnesota Vikings a shot at Blaine Gabbert?. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Randy Moss continues to haunt the Minnesota Vikings. Giving up their third-round pick for the eccentric wide receiver in an ill-fated trade last season might have cost the Vikings a chance to get quarterback Blaine Gabbert instead of Christian Ponder in the first round of Thursday night's NFL draft.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Elvis

San Francisco, CA

#1 Apr 29, 2011
hey shooter, who even said they wanted him? clearly you have no contacts in the vikes organization or you wouldnt have been spouting your nonsense for months that donovann mcnabb would be the next quarterback.

and could you write a column without maybes mightves woulda could shouldas? stop living in the past.
bryan

Garfield, NJ

#2 Apr 29, 2011
forget ponder vikings should of drafted pouncey and hoped that ponder was still there in the 2nd round. he probably would of been and if he wasnt they could of taken andy dalton or ryan mallet
Nole

Miami, FL

#3 Apr 29, 2011
Who cares... The Vikes got the best QB in this draft BY FAR.
Gen Burkhalter

Malibu, CA

#4 Apr 29, 2011
How do you figure Moss caused this mess? He didn't ask to be traded back. The blame for this lays at Klink's feet for reaching for and keeping TJ and to Spielman for making the Moss trade among other blunders and finally why not blame Wilf for not hiring a competent GM? After all Wilf allowed Klink to screw up this team for five years and for who knows how long to come!

I just hope Ponder turns out to be great. Right now I'm hearing a lot of what I heard when they reached for TJ. Deja Vu all over again.
Christian

United States

#5 Apr 29, 2011
The more I think about it the more I'm liking Ponder. Well, at least he isn't an idiot like the last QB they reached for.
tony

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Apr 29, 2011
what's the latest on weber??????????
Frank W

Simpsonville, SC

#7 Apr 29, 2011
Oh for crying out loud! Talk about closing the barn door AFTER the horses have escaped.

Hell they could have given up their second in exchange for a third round pick from Washington and swapping first round picks to move up two spots. And, maybe Jacksonville would have outbid them anyway. Besides, do we even know if Speilman wanted Gabbert? Most scouts had him ranked as the best QB in the draft, but that doesn't mean he's a lock to be a star.

If they wanted Gabbert that badly, they could have found a way to trade up to get him.
jimbo92107

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Apr 29, 2011
Nole wrote:
Who cares... The Vikes got the best QB in this draft BY FAR.
With all the variables in play, you might be right. Newton, Gabbert and Locker all have their flaws, and we've all seen great prospect flop in the NFL. The most common path to failure is when a crappy team drafts a great QB, then ruins him. Happens fairly regularly.

The most common mistakes appear to be first trying to fit a QB into a system he's not suited for, and rushing a QB into the meat grinder before he's developed the skills to survive.

In Ponder's case, he's already got most of the skills he will need to survive the NFL meat grinder. He knows how to drop back to the pocket and deliver quick and accurate passes. That's a huge advantage over Newton, Gabbert and Locker, who all played in simplified spread offenses that emphasized their ability to play sandlot scramble ball. That style won't work in the NFL, where everybody is fast enough to catch them and hit them very hard.

Even with their superior speed and athleticism, Newton, Gabbert and Locker will get killed if they try to run when their primary receiver is covered, which he usually will be. If they lose their cool and run, they'll get pounded.

Christian Ponder is the least likely to panic and bolt the pocket, because he's been passing in that style for three years. Advantage, Ponder.
jimbo92107

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Apr 29, 2011
Randy Moss was not the problem, he was a symptom of the problem, which was Brad Childress.

I have no beef with Randy Moss. Other than being rude to caterers, he was a straight talking, talented player. A talented jerk...sounds like a lot of pro athletes.
Joe Harmon

Green Bay, WI

#10 Apr 29, 2011
bryan wrote:
forget ponder vikings should of drafted pouncey and hoped that ponder was still there in the 2nd round. he probably would of been and if he wasnt they could of taken andy dalton or ryan mallet
Wouldn't have been there - wrong. Dalton and Mallett not close; Ponder correct pick. Dalton next best choice, but not near the package Ponder offers. Mallett slow with VERY slow feet - and nowhere near NFL ready. Moss cost the Vikings nothing - it's all on Childress moron. But Gabbert would be a toss up with Ponder - Ponder is that good.

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

#11 Apr 29, 2011
Moss was not the real problem. Klink was the huge problem. He went behind the back of those who he should have cleared the trade with and then could not handle being called out by Moss. Klink's action will end up putting the Vikings behind the 8 ball in the NFC Central for years. Nothing worse than an ego-maniac being given the power he had.

TNR

Since: Apr 08

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Apr 29, 2011
If Randy cost us a chance at Blaine Gabbert then I say re-sing Moss now. There is no way I'd want Blaine under center. I think the Missouri spread offense is going to make it hard for him to adjust!
Whatever

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Apr 29, 2011
Elvis wrote:
hey shooter, who even said they wanted him? clearly you have no contacts in the vikes organization or you wouldnt have been spouting your nonsense for months that donovann mcnabb would be the next quarterback.
and could you write a column without maybes mightves woulda could shouldas? stop living in the past.
Uhh... Actually, Rick Spielman said in his press conference yesterday that they tried trading up for Gabbert.

Guess that answers that question.
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#14 Apr 29, 2011
You can't trade away all your picks to get a maybe player unless you're the Falcons and we'll see how that works out for them. I think in order for this kid to make it in the NFL as a Viking is the O-line that they put in front of him. His arm strength isn't anything to write home about but lets get out of the Denny Green "Bomb" mindset and start taking those 5 yd gains that are given us. The kid appears to have good pocket presence and can get rid of the ball fast and that's more important to me than his capability to throw the ball 60 yds. Good luck to him..........
Fred Frederickson

Fond Du Lac, WI

#15 Apr 29, 2011
Randy Moss does not continue to haunt the Vikings--bonehead ex-coach Brad Childress does, along with their totally inept front office. HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING!!!

“TROJANS READY TO RESTORE ORDER”

Since: Jul 10

San Marino, CA

#16 Apr 29, 2011
Collectively, they ALL haunt the team and is paving the way for the Vikings to leave the frozen tundra for the bright lights and balmy weather of Southern California and into a new state of the art stadium being built.

L.A. VIKINGS (NICE RING TO IT)
L.A. LAKERS (HAS HAD A NICE RING TO IT FOR MANY YEARS NOW)
DALLAS STARS (MOVED TO WHERE THEY COULD MAKE MONEY)

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES (DID I HEAR SOMEONE SAY ANAHEIM)
twister

Bangkok, Thailand

#17 Apr 29, 2011
blaine gabbert will be a bust.. his play hasn't been all that.. at least ponder will be serviceable, maybe even good. jacksonville doesn't make stud qbs... his situation will take longer to ride out..
Lame publicity stunt

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Apr 29, 2011
And if Ponder pans out then Moss must be a savior, again?
jollyjunck

Snoqualmie, WA

#19 Apr 29, 2011
Maybe so ,but the Vikings even without a third round pick, could have traded out of pick 12 (Ponder does not merit a first round pick!) and still have had a QB and an extra pick or two to boot! or just pick DT Farley like we should have and pick up a guy like Kolb or Veteran QB later on with future draft picks or personal trades.
the real just another day

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Apr 29, 2011
Well now. Isn't that ironic. And hilarious. Randy Maww still tormenting this cursed team and fan base. Couldn't make this up if I tried. Almost makes me want to say:

Just another day in loserville...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oregon State Beavers NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vikings Excited About Develeopment Of DE Scott ... Jun '15 Spielman 24
News Vikings: Lots to learn, little time to do it (Jun '14) Jun '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Oregon State Beavers football: Brandin Cooks na... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Walter Manley II 1
News Cowboys 2013 Draft Targets: Texas Safety Kenny ... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Matt from Columbus 2
News No. 13 Oregon State 36, Arizona State 26: Cody ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Myles 1
News Beavers to start Mannion against Huskies (Oct '12) Oct '12 PEE PEE PETE 1
News The unbeaten: Contenders, pretenders, BCS busters (Oct '12) Oct '12 BigDan 1
More from around the web