No bowl should mean no poll for ineligible NCAA squads

Sep 14, 2012 Full story: 24 Hours 12

And Urban Meyer? Well ... the can't-miss coach has got at least one national championship in him with the Ohio State Buckeyes.

Full Story
football fan

Dayton, OH

#1 Sep 14, 2012
maybe they shuoldn't be allowed to have cheerleaders for two years or better lets not allow broadcast stations to make money this season off of football team or better yet ,ban asshole sport writers from publishing trash articles especially when the effort is to punish the innocent players as well as their fans.
another fan

United States

#2 Sep 14, 2012
I actually agree with the article, ineligible means ineligible...leave them out of the polls completely.
the moose

Sunbury, OH

#3 Sep 18, 2012
Let's make the departed offenders ineligible for monetary gains for four years.(no NFL salaries or bonuses or any other pay) Those creeps deserve nothing!

The current team is being punished for the "crimes" of others. They have every right to be in the rankings!!!
hmmmm

United States

#4 Sep 19, 2012
Moose and football fan. You're missing the big picture. I see the point you're making but you also have to remember that the polls are more than simple bragging rights.

The polls determine BCS ranking and who goes to which bowl game. Ranking a team that isn't eligible for a bowl game just screws all that up and more importantly keeps a deserving and eligible team bumped down.

You want to talk about what's fair to fans and players? What's fair to everyone else or just being fair to a single team here? Because what's fair to you may not be fair to someone else.
Sleazy

Shaw A F B, SC

#5 Sep 19, 2012
HMMMMM apparently you don't know too much about football polls. The AP poll is the only poll that bowl ineligible teams are ranked in. The AP poll is not factored into the BCS equation, so, that being said, a team that is ineligible being ranked in the AP poll has no bearing other than bragging rights. Know your facts before you comment please!
still scrubs

United States

#6 Sep 19, 2012
Sleazy wrote:
HMMMMM apparently you don't know too much about football polls. The AP poll is the only poll that bowl ineligible teams are ranked in. The AP poll is not factored into the BCS equation, so, that being said, a team that is ineligible being ranked in the AP poll has no bearing other than bragging rights. Know your facts before you comment please!
My bad, I forgot the AP was replaced by the Harris. Oh well, enjoy your pointless ranking in an irrelevant poll. We'll see where those bragging rights are when you're watching every other team play a bowl game. But I guess after going 6-7 last year OSU fans will take whatever pathetic bone gets tossed their way. Look on the bright side though, at least you won't suffer yet another in a long list of losses to SEC teams during the coming bowl season.

“GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, OH

#7 Sep 19, 2012
Jealous that the coach we have slapped your teams in the SEC on a yearly basis?
still scrubs wrote:
<quoted text>
My bad, I forgot the AP was replaced by the Harris. Oh well, enjoy your pointless ranking in an irrelevant poll. We'll see where those bragging rights are when you're watching every other team play a bowl game. But I guess after going 6-7 last year OSU fans will take whatever pathetic bone gets tossed their way. Look on the bright side though, at least you won't suffer yet another in a long list of losses to SEC teams during the coming bowl season.
Sleazy

Shaw A F B, SC

#8 Sep 20, 2012
I'm actually on the side that says if you have a bowl ban you shouldn't have a ranking. Unfortunately, the NCAA still recognizes the AP #1 ranking as a National Championship. So it's not really an irrelavent ranking. The fact of the matter is, theoretically it is possible for OSU to win a national championship without going to a bowl. Will it happen? probably not. But it is possible.

“GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, OH

#9 Sep 20, 2012
While this OSU team is better than last year, there is no way they will be good enough to be an AP #1 at the end of the season. There is a very small chance they will be undefeated but I doubt it.
lets be honest

United States

#10 Sep 20, 2012
Matt from Columbus wrote:
Jealous that the coach we have slapped your teams in the SEC on a yearly basis? <quoted text>
He had 3 great years but also 3 mediocre years going 4-4, 5-3, 5-3...not exactly slapping everyone on a yearly basis. Matter of fact his best season in the SEC didn't even get him a championship at all because he lost the conference title game.
lets be honest

United States

#11 Sep 20, 2012
Sleazy wrote:
I'm actually on the side that says if you have a bowl ban you shouldn't have a ranking. Unfortunately, the NCAA still recognizes the AP #1 ranking as a National Championship. So it's not really an irrelavent ranking. The fact of the matter is, theoretically it is possible for OSU to win a national championship without going to a bowl. Will it happen? probably not. But it is possible.
Worst case scenario, but I don't see the NCAA recognizing a title given to an ineligible team. Even being declared after the fact gets titles stripped years down the road. No way they recognize any title given to a team with current ineligible team.

Probably won't even be an issue but you never know. I would imagine even if they finished at 1 they would fall anyway after sitting out conference championship week and the bowl games.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#12 Oct 30, 2012
Just because a team is not eligible to play in the post season, it does not mean they should automatically be precluded as a choice for voters to pick as a top 25 team if they believe that team is one of the 25 best.

Furthermore, it makes no sense to leave them out of the AP poll. This poll has no association with the BCS NC game.

And on one final note, don't you think putting tOSU in the polls as a top ranked team provides that much more sting to the punishment? "Look where you would be if you hadn't messed up!"

This was a hack story. If tOSU is better than Va Tech, then they are just better. Regardless of their post-season eligibility, Stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ohio State University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Report: Ohio State dismisses running back Rod S... Nov 1 Father of Two 1
Comparing the Ohio State and Alabama RB Corps T... (Jun '13) Oct 29 deedeest111 6
Barrett, No. 13 Ohio State rout Rutgers Oct 26 DRx1947 1
The Better Football Conference: PAC-10 or SEC? (Aug '07) Oct '14 PEE PEE PETE 49,301
Pass defense not only OSU question vs. UC Sep '14 Dlbuckeye 1
Corn Flakes: Ohio State's Braxton Miller Injured Aug '14 good ole boy 1
Q&A with Bradley Roby Aug '14 Flatulence Fred 3

Ohio State University NCAA People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE