Ohio State Football: Can the Buckeyes Hit a Last-Minute Recruiting Gold Rush?

Dec 7, 2011 Full story: BleacherReport 14

Urban Meyer 's arrival to Columbus as head coach at Ohio State has certainly sent all kinds of shock-waves through the college football universe.

Full Story

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#1 Dec 7, 2011
Let's hope he can snag a few of these recruits and keep building.

“GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, OH

#2 Dec 7, 2011
He already has been snatching some awesome recruits.

Location hidden

#3 Dec 7, 2011
I haven't heard of anyone committing. But according to this article he is drawing interest and getting some official visits.

Exciting times for us Buckeye fans...
Mr Breeze

Canton, OH

#4 Dec 7, 2011
NCAA sanctions will have a big impact...who cares this year anyways. They will come next year. I cant wait to see Braxton Miller in Urbans offense. Heisman trophy is what Im thinkin!!!!

Location hidden

#5 Dec 7, 2011
I don't do a lot of research into NCAA penalties but here is what I think:

OSU has many attorneys and consultants on board that do research NCAA rulings and, apparently, they are telling them that vacating last season, 2-years probation, and loss of 5 scholarships for 3 years should cover it.

I also had another friend tell me that post-season bans are usually reserved for "Lack of Institutional Control" (OSU did not recieve this) and scholarship losses for "Failure to Monitor" (which OSU was given).

Based on that, I would say if the NCAA comes over the top it probably won't be a bowl ban which is the big kicker when it comes to recruits.

Location hidden

#6 Dec 7, 2011
Unless, of course, they dig up more violations.
Greenwave

AOL

#7 Dec 7, 2011
Lack of institutional control? We can't monitor everyone all of the time!!! Some of the regular students that receives some kind of stipend do drugs, alcohol and burglarizes the school community.

Failure to monitor? Should we put cameras all over the campus? Or tap telephones or WIFI under the name of monitor illicit behavior?

How about sending moles or agent to spy on the student-athletes families, bank accounts, whereabouts, etc.

This fight is over! As long as you have NFL and other professional sports stocking universities for talent (an intrinsic liberty of our economy), any attempt to live in an utopia with abstract rules is analogous to spraying perfume over rotten garbage => It will still smell like garbage!

The NCAA are a regulating body MUST banned!

BOYCOTT THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! DON'T WATCH IT! BCS SUCKS!
mdcbuck

Tuscaloosa, AL

#8 Dec 9, 2011
NOT Can they..... We did and keep on going!

Florida kids dropping their verbals and coming to OSU. Same thing with MSU and PSU kids. Many more to come.

I keep telling everyone, THIS IS THE GREATEST ATHLETIC PROGRAM IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS.

Any talented kid who can go to OSU, will go to OSU unless he is academically challenged. If he knows he can't make the grades in a B10 school, he will go to the SEC where they will cheat him through.

Everyone knows this stuff!

Location hidden

#9 Dec 16, 2011
Going back to the original question:

I would say the answer is a resounding 'YES'.

“GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!”

Columbus, OH

#10 Dec 16, 2011
No one outside of ALabama and LSU fans are going to watch it. I am not going to watch it, but I will watch the other BCS games.
Greenwave wrote:
Lack of institutional control? We can't monitor everyone all of the time!!! Some of the regular students that receives some kind of stipend do drugs, alcohol and burglarizes the school community.
Failure to monitor? Should we put cameras all over the campus? Or tap telephones or WIFI under the name of monitor illicit behavior?
How about sending moles or agent to spy on the student-athletes families, bank accounts, whereabouts, etc.
This fight is over! As long as you have NFL and other professional sports stocking universities for talent (an intrinsic liberty of our economy), any attempt to live in an utopia with abstract rules is analogous to spraying perfume over rotten garbage => It will still smell like garbage!
The NCAA are a regulating body MUST banned!
BOYCOTT THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! DON'T WATCH IT! BCS SUCKS!

“GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!”

Columbus, OH

#11 Dec 16, 2011
I don't know if other fans are paying attention, but we are definitely reloading. And I am not saying that it'll show next year, but definitely in the next 2 years.
-Just Sayin- wrote:
Going back to the original question:
I would say the answer is a resounding 'YES'.

“Media Darling USC! BRAAHAHAHA!”

Since: Jan 07

I'm Blessed to Live In DIXIE!

#12 Dec 16, 2011
Matt from Columbus wrote:
He already has been snatching some awesome recruits.
> He should be racking in recruits, having an unfair recruiting advantage over every other NCAA school. Two completely separate coaching staffs - one for recruiting, and one for coaching the football team. What the hell is this ... sounds like Ohio State is getting rewarded for something. Aren't you supposed to be punished for NCAA infractions?
>/

Location hidden

#13 Dec 18, 2011
ART DECO MAN wrote:
<quoted text>> He should be racking in recruits, having an unfair recruiting advantage over every other NCAA school. Two completely separate coaching staffs - one for recruiting, and one for coaching the football team. What the hell is this ... sounds like Ohio State is getting rewarded for something. Aren't you supposed to be punished for NCAA infractions?
>/
That is BS. The only extra coach right now is Meyer. Plus he lost one from OSU staff so really it balances out. Plus it sounds like Fickell may be leaving anyway. Nice try, though.

“GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!”

Columbus, OH

#14 Dec 18, 2011
3 ESPNU top 150 Recruits in one week, Spence is the man. Our D line is going to be sick in 2-3 years. O H....
-Just Sayin- wrote:
<quoted text>
That is BS. The only extra coach right now is Meyer. Plus he lost one from OSU staff so really it balances out. Plus it sounds like Fickell may be leaving anyway. Nice try, though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ohio State University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 reasons Wisconsin football will beat the Ohio... 6 hr Rager 3
The Better Football Conference: PAC-10 or SEC? (Aug '07) Dec 7 ND Irish 49,302
Report: Ohio State dismisses running back Rod S... Nov '14 Father of Two 1
Comparing the Ohio State and Alabama RB Corps T... (Jun '13) Oct '14 deedeest111 6
Barrett, No. 13 Ohio State rout Rutgers Oct '14 DRx1947 1
Pass defense not only OSU question vs. UC Sep '14 Dlbuckeye 1
Corn Flakes: Ohio State's Braxton Miller Injured Aug '14 good ole boy 1
More from around the web