Lobos get coach with credentials

Can it be? It appears New Mexico finally has a basketball coach whose resume matches the high standards of the program's passionate fans. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Homer

Bentonville, IN

#22 Nov 2, 2007
Alfraud wrote:
...Good riddance to him, his Indiana haircut and his pompous attitude
Hey! You leave us Hoosiers and our inventive haircuts alone:-P OMG, that hair. Remember the 'Lou Do' and the 'Keady Comb-over'? How about Knight's eyebrows? Those were the days in Big 10 basketball.*sigh*
Rob

Warsaw, IN

#23 Nov 2, 2007
Anyone who has met him (I have) can tell you Alford is an arrogant jerk. I enjoyed his playing career at IU, and he was very successful at the small college (his Manchester team went like 33-1 one year) and mid-major level. (Took SMS to the sweet 16.) But, he was overmatched coaching in the Big 10. If he really wanted the IU job, he should've stayed at SMS, and he would be IU's coach by now, but he went to Iowa. Now that he's back at the mid-major level, he may enjoy more of the success he had at SMS.
No Blood for Pastel

North Haven, CT

#24 Nov 2, 2007
IPS graduates 52 percent wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUíRE talking about ethics? Now that's funny.
Yes, Alford left Pierre Pierce on the team during rape CHARGES. At the time that was all they were. How about those Duke rape charges, how did that turn out? Oh thatís right, the girl was a complete liar (though she did get a free college scholarship out of the deal) and the students and team were proven completely innocent. As a matter of fact in case you missed it, the prosecutor was disbarred.
In the end the charges for Pierre Pierce were dropped down to a misdemeanor. After this incident I believe he should have been kicked off the team, but he wasnít. He was suspended for year.
In 2005 when Pierce had further charges he was dismissed immediately upon verifying said charges.
Oh, I see. So in Sampson's case the "where there's smoke there's fire" line of argument is used. When Alford lets Pierce stay on the team after a rape charge, your only defense is "he only kicked him off after the second rape charge".
IPS graduates 52 percent

Marysville, OH

#25 Nov 2, 2007
No Blood for Pastel wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see. So in Sampson's case the "where there's smoke there's fire" line of argument is used.
Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't Sampson already been convicted of this exact same crime just last year?
IPS graduates 52 percent

Marysville, OH

#26 Nov 2, 2007
No Blood for Pastel wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see. So in Sampson's case the "where there's smoke there's fire" line of argument is used. When Alford lets Pierce stay on the team after a rape charge, your only defense is "he only kicked him off after the second rape charge".
Your reading comprehension skills need work. Pierce was charged with and plead guilty to a misdemeanor. Alford kept him on the team, but suspended him for one year.

In my opinion that was his ďone chanceĒ if you believe in such a thing. I personally would have kicked him off the team, but I can see the reasoning behind it.

Kelvin Sampson was found guilty of NCAA infractions...Yeager (NCAA) used unusually strong language to describe Sampson's conduct. Among the terms he used were "deliberate noncompliance" and "willful violations."

IU hired this man knowing that he already broke the rules.

In my opinion that was Kelvinís one chance, and I would have never hired him if I were IU.

Now we are on Kelvinís SECOND screw up. What happened to Pierre Pierce on his second screw up? He was dismissed from the team without finding out if he was guilty or not. Whatís happening with Sampson?

I am confused by whatís moral and ethical in your world.

-Itís not okay to allow someone to go to court to find out if the charges are warranted.

-It is okay to drive around with people doing drugs in your car and with convicted drug dealers

-It is okay to violate NCAA rules repeatedly

-Itís is okay to assault and batter someone.

Just checking, because that is what you have been saying this week.
No Blood for Pastel

North Haven, CT

#27 Nov 2, 2007
IPS graduates 52 percent wrote:
<quoted text>
Your reading comprehension skills need work. Pierce was charged with and plead guilty to a misdemeanor. Alford kept him on the team, but suspended him for one year.
In my opinion that was his ďone chanceĒ if you believe in such a thing. I personally would have kicked him off the team, but I can see the reasoning behind it.
Kelvin Sampson was found guilty of NCAA infractions...Yeager (NCAA) used unusually strong language to describe Sampson's conduct. Among the terms he used were "deliberate noncompliance" and "willful violations."
IU hired this man knowing that he already broke the rules.
In my opinion that was Kelvinís one chance, and I would have never hired him if I were IU.
Now we are on Kelvinís SECOND screw up. What happened to Pierre Pierce on his second screw up? He was dismissed from the team without finding out if he was guilty or not. Whatís happening with Sampson?
I am confused by whatís moral and ethical in your world.
-Itís not okay to allow someone to go to court to find out if the charges are warranted.
-It is okay to drive around with people doing drugs in your car and with convicted drug dealers
-It is okay to violate NCAA rules repeatedly
-Itís is okay to assault and batter someone.
Just checking, because that is what you have been saying this week.
Pardon me, but when did I ever say that it was ok to assault and batter someone?

And, I'm sorry, but phone calls don't rise to the level of "morality" that some of you are putting forth. It's not good that a secondary violation took place, but compared to what repeatedly goes on in college athletics, phone calls don't rise to that level of outrage.

When you have people in your car that you might not really know, do you grill them on their personal history to determine whether they're moral enough to drive with you?

Stats will show that the majority of people in this country either smoke pot or have smoked it at one time. Our drug laws in regards to pot are completely over the top (sort of like the phone call rules in the NCAA).

My point about the courts and Mr. Pierce is this. When Shawne Williams was charged with a traffic violation, people flooded this board demanding that Williams be immediately cut from the team and even barred from the NBA. But when Steve Alford let Pierce stay in the lineup while facing charges, suddenly the excuses come in justifying that. I find the hero worship of Alford to be intolerable, but he deserves the criticism he's getting for the meely mouthed way he handled Mr. Pierce.

Pretty cute of you to play the "morality" card on me, chief. That's a typical Hoosier move when engaging in debate. Oh, yes, Hoosiers are so much more "moral" than any other group of people. That's why the state has the highest divorce rate in the country.
rmk23

Indianapolis, IN

#28 Nov 3, 2007
Rob wrote:
Anyone who has met him (I have) can tell you Alford is an arrogant jerk. I enjoyed his playing career at IU, and he was very successful at the small college (his Manchester team went like 33-1 one year) and mid-major level.(Took SMS to the sweet 16.) But, he was overmatched coaching in the Big 10. If he really wanted the IU job, he should've stayed at SMS, and he would be IU's coach by now, but he went to Iowa. Now that he's back at the mid-major level, he may enjoy more of the success he had at SMS.
I've met him twice. He couldn't have been more gracious and polite. Don't try to speak for everyone.
Esurb

AOL

#29 Nov 26, 2008
Indiana fans are very grateful to have Tom Crean guiding us through this year's disasterous schedule! But we will always love Steve Alford. I always thought his and our destinies would unite us again, but that doesn't seem probable or even plausible. So I'll become a distant NM fan and watch how our hot boy does out west.
Esurb

AOL

#30 Nov 26, 2008
By the way: The house is almost clean here. Only one culprit has escaped the scrutiny he deserves: the guy who hired the president, and saw that the president got the AD he wanted, and activly helped them snag Samson is still a key decision-maker around here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northwestern State Demons NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News ESPN Bracketbusters plop Canisius, Niagara on E... (Feb '13) Apr '14 pistol packing punk 5
News College basketball notebook: Buckeyes land cent... (Nov '10) Nov '10 mister B 3
News Rainbows get rid of Demons - Hawaii Sports (Dec '09) Dec '09 Rufus 2
News 'Bows looking to clean up sloppy play - Hawaii ... (Dec '09) Dec '09 kanale 7
News Northwestern St. 77, Texas-San Antonio 74 (Feb '09) Feb '09 Henry Jones 1
News Indiana opens Crean era with win (Nov '08) Nov '08 cranky 1
News Lumberjacks Out Of SLC Tournament (Mar '08) Mar '08 Chuck Jones 1
More from around the web