Lobos get coach with credentials

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Can it be? It appears New Mexico finally has a basketball coach whose resume matches the high standards of the program's passionate fans.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Fort Wayne Hoosier

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

It was a good move for him to get out of the Big 10 and midwest. However, this was anything but a promotion.
Alfraud

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

It was better for IC that he left.
No one misses him and it will be fun to watch him make the same excuses at NM he did at Iowa in a few years.

And how does his resume match their high standards? Maybe his playing resume but not his coaching resume.

Good riddance to him, his Indiana haircut and his pompous attitude
Fran Romero

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

As an Indiana fan and alum, I wish Steve and New Mexico a very fruitful season. Steve is a quality person and has been for years. I wish Iowa well but I think it would be nice if the fans would stop bashing Steve Alford. Thank you.
ferds 25 HS reunion in08

Reston, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

and I'll BEAT him at the golf outing!!! hope Tanya has a better looking bag than that patchwork thing.:)
The article left out he's ALSO an Olympic Gold Medalist, too.
Linebacker

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Steve is an Indiana basketball icon and a proven winner as a coach. I wish him the very best and man I have always wished I could have his haircut,
Right

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Alfraud wrote:
It was better for IC that he left.
No one misses him and it will be fun to watch him make the same excuses at NM he did at Iowa in a few years.
And how does his resume match their high standards? Maybe his playing resume but not his coaching resume.
Good riddance to him, his Indiana haircut and his pompous attitude
Like the player said...

"Last year, if you wanted to respect the coaches, you could. This year, you have no choice," Smith said. "You look at their past. If you don't respect them, you have no understanding of basketball history, no appreciation for the game."
BUD

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

who cares?
Northern Exposure

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

I bet he won't have any phone call issues!! Nice job IU -- passing on a guy without any baggage and hiring a guy who can't follow the rules, ever. Sampson will do nothing but put IU's image in the toilet.
Coach

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Had IU and their lame AD been smart enough to hire Steve when they hired Sampson, we wouldn't be the laughing stock of college basketball as we are now.

But then, Greenspan has ruined every venture he's been associated with so IU deserves what they get by hiring him.
Miles McStinkelstein

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Nice legs. Coach, Cheerleader, Baller is there anything he can't do?
No Blood for Pastel

Mansfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Coach wrote:
Had IU and their lame AD been smart enough to hire Steve when they hired Sampson, we wouldn't be the laughing stock of college basketball as we are now.
But then, Greenspan has ruined every venture he's been associated with so IU deserves what they get by hiring him.
You mean the same Steve Alford who kept his star player on the team after the player had been charged with a sexual assault. He was a mediocre Big Ten coach who would have continued the mediocrity at IU. But you clowns who still think its 1987 could have your wet dreams about him easier.
Jason

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

wish him the best. hes not 100% perfect, just like everyone else in the world. so no one has the right to judge nor understand what Alford deals with.
No Blood for Pastel

Mansfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Jason wrote:
wish him the best. hes not 100% perfect, just like everyone else in the world. so no one has the right to judge nor understand what Alford deals with.
Why not? Many IU "fans" certainly didn't hesitate to judge Mike Davis or Kelvin Sampson. Alford isn't immune to scrutiny or criticism just because he wore an Indiana uniform while benefitting from moving screens.
Jason

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

wtf you talking about? All he did was come to IU, play his heart out for IU and Bknight, and won IU a championship. What else does he owe you? NOTHING.
No Blood for Pastel

Mansfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Jason wrote:
wtf you talking about? All he did was come to IU, play his heart out for IU and Bknight, and won IU a championship. What else does he owe you? NOTHING.
Well, the converse would be that we don't owe him anything either. He was a mediocre coach at Iowa who showed poor ethical judgement leaving his star player on the team after a rape charge. Yet, because of his playing days at IU, he's owed the IU coaching position? If not for moving screens, a coach bullying the refs, and Keith Smart, all Steve Alford would be remembered for was being a good free throw shooter.
IPS graduates 52 percent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

No Blood for Pastel wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a mediocre coach at Iowa who showed poor ethical judgement leaving his star player on the team after a rape CHARGE.
YOUíRE talking about ethics? Now that's funny.

Yes, Alford left Pierre Pierce on the team during rape CHARGES. At the time that was all they were. How about those Duke rape charges, how did that turn out? Oh thatís right, the girl was a complete liar (though she did get a free college scholarship out of the deal) and the students and team were proven completely innocent. As a matter of fact in case you missed it, the prosecutor was disbarred.

In the end the charges for Pierre Pierce were dropped down to a misdemeanor. After this incident I believe he should have been kicked off the team, but he wasnít. He was suspended for year.

In 2005 when Pierce had further charges he was dismissed immediately upon verifying said charges.
iugrad76

Ossian, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

..now lets see..alford is a bigname coach..are you kidding me..he cant coach..or recruit.had a pretty jumper..as long as picks are set all over the floor..didnt board..didnt rebound..no defense..and thus his exit from the show..and by the way..he was demoted..and found a place desparate for a piece of knight..dont you remember knights visit to the lobos years ago..guess you gotta be a real fan to remember..i guess..
junior2430

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

He can't recruit? Then why does he already have the #5 class in the country for 2008?

Iowa is a hard place to recruit for basketball. It's like recruiting for football at Duke.
bigfoot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

The author has gotten the term "high standards" confused with high expectations. Had the writer bothered to look into the checkered history of the UNM basketball program, he would have found a relatively recent history coated rather thoroughly with scandals that would make the current IU regime more than proud.
rmk23

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

iugrad76 wrote:
..now lets see..alford is a bigname coach..are you kidding me..he cant coach..or recruit.had a pretty jumper..as long as picks are set all over the floor..didnt board..didnt rebound..no defense..and thus his exit from the show..and by the way..he was demoted..and found a place desparate for a piece of knight..dont you remember knights visit to the lobos years ago..guess you gotta be a real fan to remember..i guess..
Keep guessing until you're accidentally right.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Northwestern State Demons NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the Northwestern State Demons NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
ESPN Bracketbusters plop Canisius, Niagara on E... (Feb '13) Apr '14 pistol packing punk 5
College basketball notebook: Buckeyes land cent... (Nov '10) Nov '10 mister B 3
Rainbows get rid of Demons - Hawaii Sports (Dec '09) Dec '09 Rufus 2
'Bows looking to clean up sloppy play - Hawaii ... (Dec '09) Dec '09 kanale 7
Northwestern St. 77, Texas-San Antonio 74 (Feb '09) Feb '09 Henry Jones 1
Indiana opens Crean era with win (Nov '08) Nov '08 cranky 1
Lumberjacks Out Of SLC Tournament (Mar '08) Mar '08 Chuck Jones 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••