Gophers grind out Big Ten tourney win over Northwestern

Full story: TwinCities.com

Minnesota's players know they need to play better to have any chance at upsetting No.
Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Mar 14, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
flafan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

Don't worry-IU will crush the Gophers as usual! The performance by the Gophers in the first half against NU was truly revolting! Tubby is a tanker!!!
dr izzill

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

get off tubby homo. We all know this team sucks, but it's our team and we wish them the best. Tubby WILL have the Gophs in the top tier of the big ten after this bunch of underachievers (or maybe over achievers are gone), maybe that is what scares you, Gopher B-ball Nation back on top...but good luck cheese head with your team in the NCAA.
dr izzill

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

get off tubby h o m o. We all know this team sucks, but it's our team and we wish them the best. Tubby WILL have the Gophs in the top tier of the big ten after this bunch of underachievers (or maybe over achievers are gone), maybe that is what scares you, Gopher B-ball Nation back on top...but good luck cheese head with your team in the NCAA.
True Gopher fan

Ely, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

FlaFan yout predictions about the Gophers are much like the weather they are usually wrong.(no offense to meterologists). The Gophers again showed that their defense has improved under Tubby, they never give up and continue to work hard from start to finish. The result was another "W". To pretend to be Gopher fans that say this team sucks shows you are not really a true Gopher fan. They are the 6th seed and deserve to be. Excuses for your negative comments about a group of kids that give it their all are unacepptable.
Eric in Mpls

Buffalo, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

Why can't a Gopher fan say they suck. So a 'true' fan has to always speak of the locals in positive terms. Hogwash. A fan expects their teams to be competitive and play hard at the very least. I was very disappointed in the the UofM football team this past year. Actually disgusted is a more accurate term. That being said - I think Tubby was done a very good job this year after inheriting a poor team with poor fundementals and making excellent progress on the defensive end of the floor - where games are won. I'm very optimistic about Gopher BB's futures under Tubby.
Kyle

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

When is the game today?
True Gopher fan

Ely, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

Now now don't get defensive. The objective is that people respond in a more favorable way using poitive words to describe a person, situation or in this matter a team. It in no way describes whether the team is of high caliber or not. I gauratee you a team will play better with a positive fan base behind them rather than one that says and thinks they suck. People can play games with words. Remember when in school too many years ago to remember it all when "Humpty Dumpty" said "When I choose a word it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less." So choose your words carefully. Go Gophers.
flafan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

True Gopher fan wrote:
FlaFan yout predictions about the Gophers are much like the weather they are usually wrong.(no offense to meterologists). The Gophers again showed that their defense has improved under Tubby, they never give up and continue to work hard from start to finish. The result was another "W". To pretend to be Gopher fans that say this team sucks shows you are not really a true Gopher fan. They are the 6th seed and deserve to be. Excuses for your negative comments about a group of kids that give it their all are unacepptable.
I have not missed one prediction-IU will lay the points tonite-I have already put my money where my mouth is. IU will win --it is a lock! Gophers are pretenders and dont even belong in the mickey mouse NIT. By the way, Gophers didnt cover yesterday, thank you very much!
flafan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

True Gopher fan wrote:
Now now don't get defensive. The objective is that people respond in a more favorable way using poitive words to describe a person, situation or in this matter a team. It in no way describes whether the team is of high caliber or not. I gauratee you a team will play better with a positive fan base behind them rather than one that says and thinks they suck. People can play games with words. Remember when in school too many years ago to remember it all when "Humpty Dumpty" said "When I choose a word it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less." So choose your words carefully. Go Gophers.
dIf you really believe this, you need help because you are very a wacko!
flafan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

Eric in Mpls wrote:
Why can't a Gopher fan say they suck. So a 'true' fan has to always speak of the locals in positive terms. Hogwash. A fan expects their teams to be competitive and play hard at the very least. I was very disappointed in the the UofM football team this past year. Actually disgusted is a more accurate term. That being said - I think Tubby was done a very good job this year after inheriting a poor team with poor fundementals and making excellent progress on the defensive end of the floor - where games are won. I'm very optimistic about Gopher BB's futures under Tubby.
You are not allowed to say any MN sucks because it isnt nice and you are not a true fan! This, by the way , explains why most MN do suck year after year-no expectations. We fired our last FB coach here at Florida when he went 7-4. They would have named a street after him up there in loser land!
flafan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

dr izzill wrote:
get off tubby h o m o. We all know this team sucks, but it's our team and we wish them the best. Tubby WILL have the Gophs in the top tier of the big ten after this bunch of underachievers (or maybe over achievers are gone), maybe that is what scares you, Gopher B-ball Nation back on top...but good luck cheese head with your team in the NCAA.
Go ice fishing with your hick friends!
BillB St Paul

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

fire smith
flafan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

True Gopher fan wrote:
Unacceptable to whom? YOU? Who in the wide world cares what you think in your maroon and gold world? This is a comment board-not cheerleading pep club-gosh get a clue!!
Blind Man

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

That NU game sure looked great to me!
Mike

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

People need to realize that "flaflan" or whatever his name is does not really think Tubby is a bad coach. He has mastered the system and realizes that if he says he sucks at coaching, then there will be a huge response and it gives him something to read about. Because of that I feel like he is too smart to actually believe that Tubby is a bad coach. Smart people look at Tubby's record and realize that he will be in the Hall of Fame someday down the road. Flalala knows that.
elvis presley

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

monson's players were scared stiff. They won this game purely because of smiths coaching. once tubby gets his players in the gopher basketball team will be fine.

The football team on the other hand is completely different. the Huckster took masons players and tanked the season. He cannot coach. He did nothing to improve that team, just made them worse.
Mystified

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

It really is mystifying how ignorant some people are. Get a clue. Tubby has been successful with every team he's been with. Remember what you had last year? Look what Tubby has done with this same group of "players".
Real World

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

You're participating in a open forum, so don't expect anything you read to be well thought out or insightful. Who cares what this person or that person thinks-- it's like the old joke: one out of every four people have some sort of mental instability-- if you have three normal friends, guess what! If you're reading this for anything more than entertainment purposes, you've set the bar WAY, WAY TOO HIGH!
flafan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

Mike wrote:
People need to realize that "flaflan" or whatever his name is does not really think Tubby is a bad coach. He has mastered the system and realizes that if he says he sucks at coaching, then there will be a huge response and it gives him something to read about. Because of that I feel like he is too smart to actually believe that Tubby is a bad coach. Smart people look at Tubby's record and realize that he will be in the Hall of Fame someday down the road. Flalala knows that.
I cerainly don't think Tubby is a bad coach-just very overrated as you MN fans are about to find out!
flafan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

Real World wrote:
You're participating in a open forum, so don't expect anything you read to be well thought out or insightful. Who cares what this person or that person thinks-- it's like the old joke: one out of every four people have some sort of mental instability-- if you have three normal friends, guess what! If you're reading this for anything more than entertainment purposes, you've set the bar WAY, WAY TOO HIGH!
Spoken like a treu elitest!! Talk about arrogance! On the other hand-it is the internet and you will see anything written much to the consternation of the Gopher kool aid drinkers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Northwestern Wildcats NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College basketball roundup: Northwestern cashes... (Jan '14) Jan '14 LTW 2
Bob Hunter commentary: Patience, persistence pa... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Buckeye Knight 8
No. 1 Ohio State Survives Northwestern In OT | ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Aunt Bea 10
Men's basketball: Ohio State survives in OT aga... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Go Bucks 31
Northwestern gets shot at OSU | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 Ehh 5
Big Ten tournament: Gophers lose to Northwester... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Livinn Woodbury 24
Men's basketball: OSU Insider | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 Mike in Raleigh 18

Search the Northwestern Wildcats NCAA Basketball Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••