Men's basketball | Ohio State 58, Nor...

Men's basketball | Ohio State 58, Northwestern 57: Just another scare | BuckeyeXtra

There are 106 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 30, 2011, titled Men's basketball | Ohio State 58, Northwestern 57: Just another scare | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Thad Matta had enough on his mind that he could have said any number of things in the locker room after the game last night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Buckeye Dave in NC

Greensboro, NC

#1 Jan 30, 2011
Before all the naysayers and doomsday scenarios come out lets look at the charred landscape of college basketball yesterday:

#2 Pitt barely survives at a mediocre Rutgers
#5 UConn falls, at home
#7 Nova falls, at home
#8 Texas has their "Purdue" game although not as convincing over Missouri as the Bucks over Purdue
#9 BYU falls at UNM (a good team but one with 7 losses)
#10, mighty 'Cuse loses its 4th in a row
#11 Texas A&M falls on the road
#15 Wisky falls at Penn State
#16 Kentucky barely survives unranked Georgia, at home.
#22 Vandy falls to Arkansas at home
#23 Florida falls to an unranked
#24 St Mary's falls to an unranked

These games have and will happen. And for anyone who thinks that the Bucks need to lose a game before the tournament, do you really believe any of these teams learned anything from their losses yesterday or earlier this season? How did Pitt's losses to Tennessee or Notre Dame help them yesterday any more than what OSU already knew to handle Northwestern?
jerry

Columbus, OH

#2 Jan 30, 2011
there was no rebound to get after Lauderdale's intentional foul. NW got the ball out of bounds.
Tom

Edison, OH

#3 Jan 30, 2011
Buckeye Dave in NC wrote:
Before all the naysayers and doomsday scenarios come out lets look at the charred landscape of college basketball yesterday:
#2 Pitt barely survives at a mediocre Rutgers
#5 UConn falls, at home
#7 Nova falls, at home
#8 Texas has their "Purdue" game although not as convincing over Missouri as the Bucks over Purdue
#9 BYU falls at UNM (a good team but one with 7 losses)
#10, mighty 'Cuse loses its 4th in a row
#11 Texas A&M falls on the road
#15 Wisky falls at Penn State
#16 Kentucky barely survives unranked Georgia, at home.
#22 Vandy falls to Arkansas at home
#23 Florida falls to an unranked
#24 St Mary's falls to an unranked
These games have and will happen. And for anyone who thinks that the Bucks need to lose a game before the tournament, do you really believe any of these teams learned anything from their losses yesterday or earlier this season? How did Pitt's losses to Tennessee or Notre Dame help them yesterday any more than what OSU already knew to handle Northwestern?
I agree 100% with you Yesterday was a day of upsets. But I am sure all the band riders and ESPN people will once again be doubting whether or not OSU is really that good. You know it really pains ESPN to have to mention #1 and OSU together!! College Basketball has a lot of good teams this year adn at any given time any lower level team will step up and beat a highly ranked team. aka Yesterday is a prime example!!
Bill Sr

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Jan 30, 2011
The Bucks were fortunate to get by this second half letdown (again).We could almost say the Wildcats deserved to win this game, but I can't. One thing that bugged me was to see (replay) of Lauderdale’s "deliberate foul" near the end which called for two free throws and possession of the ball for Northwestern. Yet a little later in the final seconds when Sullinger spun around his defender to go for a dunk from the far side of the lane a Wildcat barrels in from the near side like a linebacker on forth and one hurling his body into Sully to "deliberately"(and successfully)disconnect him from the ball and possibly cause physical harm. After getting of the deck and coming to his senses again Sully was awarded the two free throws but no possession. NW was “given” that last chance to win on that call. Or Sullinger should start wearing a helmet the rest of the way.
Terp

Lancaster, OH

#5 Jan 30, 2011
It was hard to watch at times but those kids hung in there and got the W. Sometimes we fans really don't give all collegiate athletes near enough credit. After all, they are working two full time jobs and have to travel to boot. Very few of us could keep up that pace nor would we want to. It takes a very special group of kids to be able to excel in this atmosphere.
tharvey

Lehigh Acres, FL

#6 Jan 30, 2011
Another "sleep walking" defensive effort and the Bucks will shed the number one ranking

Since: Nov 09

Findlay, OH

#7 Jan 30, 2011
Sometimes you have to have a lucky game during a championship type season and this was one of those games. Give NW credit but this was not the same OSU team that demolished the Boilermakers earlier in the week.

OSU was beat on the boards, had a horrible day from behind the arc, did not defend well during the last 8 minutes of the game especially, failed at the stripe at crunch time (Sullinger hit the game winner but missed 4 free throws earlier), got nothing scoring-wise out of anyone but Sullinger, Craft, and Buford, all this while the Mildcats were without their best player. Yet they still won.

I think Matta was smiling so much at the end of the game because he knew that they got away with one. After looking invincible against Purdue, this only shows how hard it is to get a team to play at its highest level every game. It is nearly impossible to have your "A Game" every night. But it also shows that in spite of how good the Buckeyes are, one game like this in the the NCAA tournament (after the first round) and they could be packing their bags prematurely.
brutus

Bellevue, WA

#8 Jan 30, 2011
22-0. Mi comes to town after winning at msu. We barely beat them in aa so look for the bucks to play a good game. Go bucks beat mi and break the record.
ima idiott

United States

#9 Jan 30, 2011
I just watched the 1976 Pheonix Suns - Boston Celtic basketball game and I know they are pros and comparing them to this Ohio State squad might not be real fair but come on guys, it's just basketball game, it's not rocket science. This is what I found out. The ball players 35 years ago were so much better than the players of today that it isn't even close. And the game was much faster. Everybody hustled all the time. And they could shoot so much better. All guys today can do is shoot a three and dunk. No one can bank off the glass or shoot a hook. And Ohio States defense is a joke. You have Sullinger and Lauderdale in the game at the same time and they are playing man for man and the two guys they are guarding take them out to the 3 point line and these two idiotts go all the way out there to guard guys that are not capable of hitting a 3. Leaving under the basket wide open. And they did it for the entire game. And the OSU defense stays 8 feet off of their man and the other team just passes to each other with no threat of it being stolen. The only buckeye that plays defense is Craft and sometimes Lighty. Don't let me catch you comparing this OSU team to any of Lucas's OSU teams. At least the teams of the 60's followed their shots when they shot and often got there own rebound. No one on this team does that so Matta is a horrible coach. A tip here: When you shoot the ball, watch where it is going and you can tell where to go to rebound it. Then go get your own rebound and start the play over. All these guys think about is how great they are and who they are going to lay that night. They don't give a flip about basketball. And who is the idiott that has ear phones on during warm-ups I guess listening to the radio. You are so cool. Yes, we are all watching you. You are so great. If you love basketball then go out and play your guts off for the entire game!!!!!!!!!!
ima idiott

United States

#10 Jan 30, 2011
Steve in Findlay wrote:
Sometimes you have to have a lucky game during a championship type season and this was one of those games. Give NW credit but this was not the same OSU team that demolished the Boilermakers earlier in the week.
OSU was beat on the boards, had a horrible day from behind the arc, did not defend well during the last 8 minutes of the game especially, failed at the stripe at crunch time (Sullinger hit the game winner but missed 4 free throws earlier), got nothing scoring-wise out of anyone but Sullinger, Craft, and Buford, all this while the Mildcats were without their best player. Yet they still won.
I think Matta was smiling so much at the end of the game because he knew that they got away with one. After looking invincible against Purdue, this only shows how hard it is to get a team to play at its highest level every game. It is nearly impossible to have your "A Game" every night. But it also shows that in spite of how good the Buckeyes are, one game like this in the the NCAA tournament (after the first round) and they could be packing their bags prematurely.
You might not have your A game every night butttttttttttttttttttt you should be able to hustle your tail off every night. You can either stand around or you can hustle. And this squad is a bunch of loosers. And I can't wait for them to loose. I will love it. Not for OSU basketball and not for the fans but for this bunch of prima donnas!!!!!!!!!!
brutus

Bellevue, WA

#11 Jan 30, 2011
Northwestern is the only team in the conference that runs that Princeton offense. They know they can run up and down the court with osu. Bottom line is we are still undefeated and nw has never beaten a number one team.
Southern Ohio Buckeye

Youngstown, OH

#12 Jan 30, 2011
Lauderdale is terrible.
Buckmich1

Louisville, CO

#13 Jan 30, 2011
The Buckeyes didn't play with much intensity. Sure. But, lets be honest the officials gave Northwestern a dozen points. I don't know if it is intentional or not but Big Ten officials favor hometeams absurdly. They miss a lot. I think it is difficult for overweight, out of shape, old men to keep up with the game. Calls were made that could not have possibly been seen. Many were missed that should have been called but weren't seen. In both cases it was because the official was out of position. If you are over weight and over 50 you should not be officiating anything beyond middle school basketball.
These pudgie old men need to to put their feet up, open a cold one, have some snacks and stay home to watch like the rest of us.--Or get on the treadmill and back away from the table.
45has2

United States

#14 Jan 30, 2011
22 & OH! No Matta what you haters say it is a W. If you think Thad & his staff will not use this as a teaching opportunity then you truly are clueless.
Buckeye Dave in NC

Greensboro, NC

#15 Jan 30, 2011
ima idiott wrote:
I just watched the 1976 Pheonix Suns - Boston Celtic basketball game and I know they are pros and comparing them to this Ohio State squad might not be real fair but come on guys, it's just basketball game, it's not rocket science. This is what I found out. The ball players 35 years ago were so much better than the players of today that it isn't even close. And the game was much faster. Everybody hustled all the time. And they could shoot so much better. All guys today can do is shoot a three and dunk. No one can bank off the glass or shoot a hook. And Ohio States defense is a joke. You have Sullinger and Lauderdale in the game at the same time and they are playing man for man and the two guys they are guarding take them out to the 3 point line and these two idiotts go all the way out there to guard guys that are not capable of hitting a 3. Leaving under the basket wide open. And they did it for the entire game. And the OSU defense stays 8 feet off of their man and the other team just passes to each other with no threat of it being stolen. The only buckeye that plays defense is Craft and sometimes Lighty. Don't let me catch you comparing this OSU team to any of Lucas's OSU teams. At least the teams of the 60's followed their shots when they shot and often got there own rebound. No one on this team does that so Matta is a horrible coach. A tip here: When you shoot the ball, watch where it is going and you can tell where to go to rebound it. Then go get your own rebound and start the play over. All these guys think about is how great they are and who they are going to lay that night. They don't give a flip about basketball. And who is the idiott that has ear phones on during warm-ups I guess listening to the radio. You are so cool. Yes, we are all watching you. You are so great. If you love basketball then go out and play your guts off for the entire game!!!!!!!!!!
And each of your posts does nothing but confirm your name.
buckeyennyc

New York, NY

#16 Jan 30, 2011
Playing NW is like going to the dentist!! The novelty of the Princeton offense is something you prepare for less often than traditional offenses in college hoops. Matta admitted, and I think rightfully so, that he and his coaching staff prepared by expecting them to run a faster pace. After all, NW is the second highest scoring team in the Big 10 and that's running the Princeton offense. Thus his in-game adjustments, and the players' willingness to adjust, are a sign of his stellar coaching. Doing what OSU did last night when their backs are against the rope is what good teams do. Hey it wasn't pretty, but they didn't lose or fold down the stretch-the last defensive stand lead to a turnover and Diebler's insight to pass inside to Sully who got the foul and the game-winning free throw are solid evidence. I agree that the refs let some calls go. Kudos to Sully for maintaining his composure and competitive edge knowing the refs were going to let him get banged. I will add that I'm tired of all the praise and credit to Bill Carmody and his style of coaching and strategy...it's gotten him nor the program NOWHERE!!! NW's style is not a winner in a physical conference like the Big 10, the commentators showered continuous praise yet failed to admit that it is not a winning strategy at a conference level. The program is still one of the only few that's never made it to the NCAA tournament, yet he's a "genius"--give me a break. What's genius is being able to compete year end and year out and win. Matta proves! His NCAA championship is not far away. Carmody...try to compete and get to the dance!!!
Buckeye Fan

Crossville, TN

#17 Jan 30, 2011
ima idiott wrote:
You need to see a doctor and get some medication for your condition

“TKOBUCKEYE”

Since: Oct 09

C-Bus/[email protected] OK

#18 Jan 30, 2011
Good win and some of you losers on here need to get a life. Lucas and Hondo won one title and got beat two years in a row. My god why are you not calling for their prima donna heads? They put basketball on the map in Ohio? Reallyseems they underachieved with three trips and only one title ever...SHUT UP about comparisons to the 60's teams and your stupid antecedents as to how dare we compare etc. Your right there is no camparison In the 60's they did not play as many games and there was not as big a NCAA field as today. This team is good but who knows until they get to the tournament what will happen but if they lose a title or get bounced they can say they matched the 60's team with at least one loss in the NCAA tournament right? I'm a fan who does not want to see you lose a game to teach you a life lesson or any of that hog wash crap that stupid trolls post on here. Go 38-0, 39-0 or 40-0 and handle your business! Good Job Buckeyes!
BTW: Same story in FB Tressel gets beat in two NC games and everyone wants to fire him? Another Ohio guy has more NC losses and yet Bob Stoops is considered one of the best coaches in the game. Really?? Onward I say and lets hope we do well on Feb 2nd with signing a top 5 FB class! Again I'm a TRUE Buckeye FAN to the Core win or lose they are still my team. Just how many of you can actually stomach that or proclaim that? Go Bucks!
Tony

Mesa, AZ

#19 Jan 30, 2011
ima idiott wrote:
Your name is the only thing you have correct. You ARE an idiot, and certainly no basketball coach (on ANY level). I didn't even read half your rambling. Learn to spell....take English 101. Keep your moronic opinions to yourself. No one cares what you have to say.

Since: Nov 09

Findlay, OH

#20 Jan 30, 2011
The best way to deal with Ima Idiott is just not to give him any attention. His comments are without any basis in fact or reality. I think all reasonable posters should agree from this point to refrain from responding to him in any way. Don't judge his comments, don't reply, don't do anything at all. As one poster replied, his comments confirm his identity. Back and forth dialogue between reasonable people with differing opinons is one thing. But this poster does not qualify.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northwestern Wildcats NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College basketball roundup: Northwestern cashes... (Jan '14) Jan '14 LTW 2
News Bob Hunter commentary: Patience, persistence pa... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Buckeye Knight 8
News No. 1 Ohio State Survives Northwestern In OT | ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Aunt Bea 10
News Men's basketball: Ohio State survives in OT aga... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Go Bucks 31
News Northwestern gets shot at OSU | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 Ehh 5
News Big Ten tournament: Gophers lose to Northwester... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Livinn Woodbury 24
News Men's basketball: OSU Insider | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 Mike in Raleigh 18
More from around the web