Men's basketball: Buckeyes know it's ...

Men's basketball: Buckeyes know it's no time to relax | BuckeyeXtra

There are 22 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 29, 2011, titled Men's basketball: Buckeyes know it's no time to relax | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Even before Michigan won at Michigan State on Thursday, and then Indiana upset Illinois, coach Thad Matta was not planning to remind his Ohio State players that on any night in the Big Ten, any team can beat any other.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 09

Georgetown, SC

#1 Jan 29, 2011
Go Bucks, beat the Cats!
mittymjs

Saint Thomas, PA

#2 Jan 29, 2011
Oh my God - this talk about DEFENSE is way cool! TEAM DEFENSE is what will take us all the way. I would love to see us hold Northwestern to under 50 points - 45 would be OUTSTANDING. FEET, FEET, FEET - DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE. Because we got everything else. Can't wait till 6pm - it is just like a football Saturday morning!!
Stuck in the Stone Age

Greenville, GA

#3 Jan 29, 2011
A loss or even several would be good for the team, allowing them to relax a bit from any real or imagined pressure. Better now than in the NCAA tournament.
Southern Ohio Buckeye

Cincinnati, OH

#4 Jan 29, 2011
Re Flu bug: it's very interesting to me that Coach Matta would disclose that information. They obviously seemed like a much more focused team against Purdue. It would explain a lot as far as them losing their legs and their focus toward the end of those first few conference games if they did have the flu.
Paul

Manchester, TN

#5 Jan 29, 2011
Just keep winning!
GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
45has2

United States

#6 Jan 29, 2011
Stuck in the Stone Age wrote:
A loss or even several would be good for the team, allowing them to relax a bit from any real or imagined pressure. Better now than in the NCAA tournament.
Luckily Thad is the Buckeye coach and not you. Thad would "rather learn from winning." 22-0 GO BUCKS!
Stuck in the Stone Age

Greenville, GA

#7 Jan 29, 2011
45has2 wrote:
<quoted text>Luckily Thad is the Buckeye coach and not you. Thad would "rather learn from winning." 22-0 GO BUCKS!
I, too, am glad he's the coach. My greatest weakness as the coach: I am not an adherent of the "6 second rule" when it comes to gum dropped upon the floor at the SCA.
Thad for prez

Dallas, TX

#8 Jan 29, 2011
Clean program,#1, and blue chip recruits all over the court. Thank you coach.

The best buckeye fans are hoops fans.
Go Bucks

Columbus, OH

#9 Jan 29, 2011
Thad for prez wrote:
Got to agree with you on this one!
Thad for prez

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Jan 29, 2011
Go Bucks wrote:
<quoted text>Got to agree with you on this one!
Thanks bucks. It's not (too big of) a knock on Coach Tressel, but point to a recent football season that police or the NCAA were not involved. Thad has brought in major talent of good character and that will translate into banners without suspensions.
Mike in Raleigh

Carthage, NC

#11 Jan 29, 2011
Diebler summed it up well discussing team defense. When this team is defending as a unit, they are a bear to pass, drive and shoot against. Nice to see Sully was talking nothing but defense to the ESPN babe post-game Purdue, also.
buckeyelou

Westerville, OH

#12 Jan 29, 2011
go Bucks! Keep playing intense defense and team-oriented offense!!!
ima idiott

United States

#13 Jan 29, 2011
This team does not have to worry. This Ohio State Basketball team is the greatest team I have seen since the 1947 Hank Iba team with Joe Dunlop, Carl Freeman and Sam Smith. It was not a tall team, their tallest player being 6-2 but boy could they ever pass that ball. So, to be compared to any one of Hank Iba's team is a compliment indeed. And these Buckeyes should hold their head high. And I know what I am talking about because Ima Idiott.
Gitcher Roxoff

Carlsbad, CA

#14 Jan 29, 2011
Oh yeah, they are vulnerable and they will be tested. And on any given night if they aren't in the groove, they can drop a game. Illinois came close to showing that. But keep it up, Buckeyes. One game at a time.
Gitcher Roxoff

Carlsbad, CA

#15 Jan 29, 2011
Thad for prez wrote:
Yes, that is unfortunately true. It'd be great if they both had that image.
Balls Deep

Columbus, OH

#16 Jan 29, 2011
Go Bucks Always Bring Your A Game Student Atheletes!!
David-Buckeye from KY

Greenbrier, AR

#17 Jan 29, 2011
Stuck in the Stone Age wrote:
Who in their right mind wants to see this wonderful team lose for any reason?? The game against Purdue was as exciting as can be! I love to see the wins mounting for this team; one by one. A win today, for 22-0, ties the second best start in Buckeye history. Who can't be excited about this team?? It still amazes me that Value City is not sold out, game after game. How can that be? Does anyone realize this team could be 40-0 if they should win out...the greatest seaon in college basketball history! Of course, they play too many good teams...and perfection is a pipe dream in today's basketball, but God, what a high this team is producing. I wonder if Evan Turner thinks about what he could be a part of...? When he was contemplating going pro last Spring, I wrote to the Dispatch and said that if he returned, he could lead this team to a national championship. Just think how even better this team would be. Millions of dollars couldn't buy what he would have been a part of...
Bob

Columbus, OH

#18 Jan 29, 2011
David-Buckeye from KY wrote:
<quoted text>
Who in their right mind wants to see this wonderful team lose for any reason?? The game against Purdue was as exciting as can be! I love to see the wins mounting for this team; one by one. A win today, for 22-0, ties the second best start in Buckeye history. Who can't be excited about this team?? It still amazes me that Value City is not sold out, game after game. How can that be? Does anyone realize this team could be 40-0 if they should win out...the greatest seaon in college basketball history! Of course, they play too many good teams...and perfection is a pipe dream in today's basketball, but God, what a high this team is producing. I wonder if Evan Turner thinks about what he could be a part of...? When he was contemplating going pro last Spring, I wrote to the Dispatch and said that if he returned, he could lead this team to a national championship. Just think how even better this team would be. Millions of dollars couldn't buy what he would have been a part of...
I agree wholeheartedly-especially the point where they don't come close to selling out- as many as 5,000 empty seats for a conference game just 2 weeks ago- pathetic and an insult to the team.
This is a wonderful team and they deserve better support. Go Bucks! Beat Northwestern.
Buckeye in California

Aliso Viejo, CA

#19 Jan 29, 2011
The games aren't selling out? That's the first I've heard of that. It actually makes me sick to think that 105,000 will pay $75 to sit in the Horseshoe, but 17,000 won't watch the basketball Bucks? Come on Columbus! If it's not college football, Columbus fans are the worst. I think the Blue Jackets and Crew would attest to that.(Although the Blue Jackets really are not good). Even Los Angeles fans would be selling out Trojans games if they were ranked No. 1.
Go Bucks

Columbus, OH

#20 Jan 29, 2011
Buckeye in California wrote:
The games aren't selling out? That's the first I've heard of that. It actually makes me sick to think that 105,000 will pay $75 to sit in the Horseshoe, but 17,000 won't watch the basketball Bucks? Come on Columbus! If it's not college football, Columbus fans are the worst. I think the Blue Jackets and Crew would attest to that.(Although the Blue Jackets really are not good). Even Los Angeles fans would be selling out Trojans games if they were ranked No. 1.
How true this is! The football team could be winless the entire season and would still sell out every game.We got the no. 1 basketball team in the country and cannot sell out most games. I know this is a college football town and fans can choose to follow whoever they want, but when you have a basketball team like Ohio State has this year, you would think that interest would increase.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northwestern Wildcats NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College basketball roundup: Northwestern cashes... (Jan '14) Jan '14 LTW 2
News Bob Hunter commentary: Patience, persistence pa... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Buckeye Knight 8
News No. 1 Ohio State Survives Northwestern In OT | ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Aunt Bea 10
News Men's basketball: Ohio State survives in OT aga... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Go Bucks 31
News Northwestern gets shot at OSU | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 Ehh 5
News Big Ten tournament: Gophers lose to Northwester... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Livinn Woodbury 24
News Men's basketball: OSU Insider | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '11) Mar '11 Mike in Raleigh 18
More from around the web