Northern Illinois 34, Gophers 23: Hus...

Northern Illinois 34, Gophers 23: Huskies' Chad Spann runs wild aga...

There are 45 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 25, 2010, titled Northern Illinois 34, Gophers 23: Huskies' Chad Spann runs wild aga.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

RECAP: Minnesota had a solid drive going to start the game but had to settle for Eric Ellestad's 28-yard field goal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
The Loon

Lindstrom, MN

#1 Sep 25, 2010
All the Kings horses and all the Kings men, could not put Humpty together again.
Wow

Lakeville, MN

#2 Sep 26, 2010
Mature said Brewster "analyzed" the game well.? Wow, get the rose colored glasses of Joel and analyze you need to make a move fast. Its over, the guy just doesn't get it and neither does his staff.
Chuck

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Sep 26, 2010
I'm wondering if after the game Brewster said anything more about when we are going to the Rose Bowl?

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Sep 26, 2010
brewster will remind us again how this program is light years ahead of where it was, us average fans just dont see it

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

#5 Sep 26, 2010
Maturi and Brewster have managed to turn a once proud football program into absolute garbage. This current team would have trouble beating a MIAC School. Lousy coaching, a constant turnover of assistant coaches, poor recruiting has marked Brewster's time at Minnesota.
The season is already lost, the Gophers have no chance against any team in the Big Ten and there is no valid reason to not fire both these dorks right now.
The Hard Truth

Waverly, IA

#6 Sep 26, 2010
Perhaps the most tragic (and ridiculous) thing about this Gophers program is listening the Coach (?) Brewster spew his "up with people" superlatives of
"Great" and "Wonderful" and "Fantastic" and blah, blah, blah. He's living proof that there is a dark underbelly to the "power of positive thinking" view of reality: when things are going badly, you can't see the forest for the trees because you have to be positive all the time, when calling a spade a spade might be more productive and beneficial.

Well, here's the truth: You can't run a program, Mr. Brewster. Perhaps you're good as a position coach, but you are a failure as a manager, either of a program or a game. There is no harm in being excellent at a given task that is somewhere lower in the food chain and embracing that task with all your skill and passion. But when you are way out of your league, to keep saying that things are great is not going to will them into greatness.

Go back to coaching tight ends and give over the reigns.

And, Mr. Maturi, what is wrong with you? This man has out-Monsoned Monson, and you can't pull the trigger.

You'd better kill the head, because the body is dying. In fact, it may already be dead. But the head keeps talking, talking, talking. Finish it off.
Bearer of Bad News

Plum City, WI

#7 Sep 26, 2010
Fascinating fact - The Gopher Football program hasn't been relevant since Tony Dungy was throwing the ball. Brewster, while admittedly horrible, took over a lackluster and unexciting program, and has done little to make it different.
jjj

United States

#8 Sep 26, 2010
The Hard Truth wrote:
Perhaps the most tragic (and ridiculous) thing about this Gophers program is listening the Coach (?) Brewster spew his "up with people" superlatives of
"Great" and "Wonderful" and "Fantastic" and blah, blah, blah. He's living proof that there is a dark underbelly to the "power of positive thinking" view of reality: when things are going badly, you can't see the forest for the trees because you have to be positive all the time, when calling a spade a spade might be more productive and beneficial.
Well, here's the truth: You can't run a program, Mr. Brewster. Perhaps you're good as a position coach, but you are a failure as a manager, either of a program or a game. There is no harm in being excellent at a given task that is somewhere lower in the food chain and embracing that task with all your skill and passion. But when you are way out of your league, to keep saying that things are great is not going to will them into greatness.
Go back to coaching tight ends and give over the reigns.
And, Mr. Maturi, what is wrong with you? This man has out-Monsoned Monson, and you can't pull the trigger.
You'd better kill the head, because the body is dying. In fact, it may already be dead. But the head keeps talking, talking, talking. Finish it off.
good post. I don't think Brewster realizes how annoying it is to hear positive comments when your team is absolutely sucking. I don't even care about this years team their season is effectively lost. Im work more worried about the loss of morale and how it will affect recruiting. I think morale will continue to erode and you have to get rid of this guy before more damage is done to the reputation of the university. To hear this guy spewing positive garbage only pours salt in the wound.
annette

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Sep 26, 2010
They've sucked since before I was born. Put the program out of it's misery. Nobody cares anymore.
tim dawg

United States

#10 Sep 26, 2010
He has the audacity to tell us they are doing things the right way. How long do we need to give you coach? 20 years? Do everybody a favor and cut him loose. This is getting embarrassing.
thissucks

Clear Lake, MN

#11 Sep 26, 2010
So ya get rid of Brewster. Then what? Make an assistant the interim head coach? They all suck as bad as Brewster!
The one guy that could come in and turn the program around would be Tony Dungee, and apparently he's not interested. Of course maybe if Maturi sweetened the pot he might take a crack at it. How to help pay the extra? Turn the beer taps on at TCF.
guy

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Sep 26, 2010
If the Gophers had scored "10 unaswered points" after being down 10-3 they would have won the game 13-10. That's what unanswered means. The Huskies had an answer. Maturi has got to go, and take Brewster with him.
Zeke

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Sep 26, 2010
It's not the players...the Gophers have size, speed, and depth.

It's that the Gophers are poorly coached...going for it on 4th down when they should punt or kick a field goal...defensive player (especially the linebackers) that are out of position and confused.

Poorly coached...that's it in a nutshell!
awerty

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Sep 26, 2010
Let the kids coach themselves, there has to be some leaders who will be followed by the players, it would be entertaining, unpredictable, and if they win the coach could take the credit. give the players credit for their efforts.
VikesGofsFan

Cottage Grove, MN

#15 Sep 26, 2010
This is the first time since 1898 ... that is right, since 1898 ... that the Gophers have lost three non-conference games to start a season. Our program is now the worst of the worse and the lousiest of the lousy.

I have met Brewster and he is a nice man. But enough is enough. Both Maturi and Tim must be relieve of their duties.
ludwig

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Sep 26, 2010
There's more to this than an inept football program. If the only D-I school in the state can't somehow put even a mediocre football team on the field, what else is it failing at that isn't televised? Is it producing bad doctors, incompetent MBAs, tone-deaf music teachers and witless attorneys, too? Maybe the whole thing needs to be refashioned.
ex-hp

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Sep 26, 2010
Gophers should just back out of the Big Ten and join the Northern Sun conference. Then the Big Ten could be relevant again.
ThisGuy

Des Moines, IA

#18 Sep 26, 2010
Brewster sucks, Weber sucks, well the whole team really sucks.

At least they will get a high draft pick after the season...oh wait - never mind.
The Loon

Lindstrom, MN

#19 Sep 26, 2010
There are so many jokes that could be posted from over the past seven years that would show how delusional many of the Brew Crew have been during this whole "Fire Mason", "anyone would be better" era. Recently, I recall those who said "this would be "the most talented Gopher defense in decades". Another favorite was the "Brewster is a great recruiter" truism. But, most importantly, I recall Maturi saying shortly after he hired Brewster that "if this man was not the solution for the Gophers, he (Maturi) did not know who would be." Let us take Maturi at his word and get rid of both men right now. I can not stand the idea that Joel Maturi will be hiring our next coach. I will NOT believe one word that he utters about that coach.
The Loon

Lindstrom, MN

#20 Sep 26, 2010
Zeke wrote:
It's not the players...the Gophers have size, speed, and depth.
It's that the Gophers are poorly coached...going for it on 4th down when they should punt or kick a field goal...defensive player (especially the linebackers) that are out of position and confused.
Poorly coached...that's it in a nutshell!
Many of our players are also just not very bright. They do not "coach up" easily.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northern Illinois University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vikings Draft Targets: Jimmie Ward Visits (Apr '14) Apr '14 Laughing Bear Fan 6
News The Hype Train vol 1-- NIU's Jimmie Ward (Jan '14) Jan '14 viking nation 1
News Ranking the Best Mid-American Conference Footba... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Brenda 1
News Ranking the Best Mid-American Conference Footba... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Brenda 1
News Heisman: Winston, Manziel, Lynch among 6 finalists (Dec '13) Dec '13 I THOT THE HEISMAN 1
News NIU passes Fresno St in BCS standings; Ohio St 3rd (Nov '13) Dec '13 Janitor 3
News No. 18 N Illinois beats W Michigan 33-14 (Nov '13) Nov '13 enroh45 1
More from around the web