SIU coach jumps to NIU

SIU coach jumps to NIU

There are 11 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 13, 2007, titled SIU coach jumps to NIU. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Jerry Kill, who guided Southern Illinois to Championship Subdivision playoff appearances each of the past five seasons, will be named the head football coach at Northern Illinois, succeeding Joe Novak.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Go Huskies

Okemos, MI

#1 Dec 13, 2007
Welcome Coach Kill! I think your the perfect fit to take a solid program to the next level. As a Huskie Alum I welcome you to the North end of the state and look forward to many wonderful, winning, fall afternoons.
Salukifan

AOL

#2 Dec 14, 2007
Shame on you coach Kill. We beat SIU and then you have the nerve to leave and go work for them? SIU has a better football team and basketball team than NIU,and gets to compete in an actual football playoff for the national chapionship. at NIu you will be lucky if you ever get too a bowl game.
Saluki Rod

Elmhurst, IL

#3 Dec 14, 2007
As an SIU alum, this is a sad day for the Dawgs.
You have to wonder if SIU has become the training ground for other Illinois Division I programs with Itchy Jones and Bruce Weber going to U of I after both long term and breakthrough success, and now Kill jumping to NIU.
I'll wish him well, but dang guys, why can't SIU retain these guys long term? Hopefully Chris Lowery will stick around.
NIU Legacy

Boca Raton, FL

#4 Dec 14, 2007
Salukifan wrote:
Shame on you coach Kill. We beat SIU and then you have the nerve to leave and go work for them? SIU has a better football team and basketball team than NIU,and gets to compete in an actual football playoff for the national chapionship. at NIu you will be lucky if you ever get too a bowl game.
Saluki Fan: Be happy for the man, thank him for all he did for SIU and wish him well. Where was SIU football before he got there? On the verge of being eliminated. Be informed before you speak.
And, by the way, NIU has been to 2 bowl games in the last 3 years, and played for the conference championship 3 years ago. If he can have the success at NIU he had at SIU he will take them to bowls on a regular basis. The conference has 3 bowl tie-ins, and chances at at large bids, too. And the NIU program is in better shape now than the SIU program was when he took over there. Good luck in your coaching search!
HUSKIEFAN

United States

#5 Dec 14, 2007
Dear Sulukifan,

I understand how the fans of SIU feel - NIU has been on that side of the coaching transitions before and it sucks! If Coach Kill is as good as he seems to be we may feel the exact same way in a few years. But why the sour grapes? Be happy for a man improving himself, fulfilling a dream. Most of all make sure you know what your talking about prior to running your fingers on the keyboard.

Face the facts, NIU's job (for Football) is better. Yes, you won the game between us this year. Congrats on a well played and coached victory!

Remember however that a single win does not make a job. The man doubled his base salary coming to NIU, will be able to field a team with more talented players, much better facilities and be play regularly in front of home crowds that come close to tripling the average home attendence of an SIU game. Even in this terrible 2-10 season, NIU had more people show up for its final game of the year than SIU had in the stands last Saturday in the National Championship Simifinal Game that "Salukifan" is so thrilled about. By the way, NIU has been in 2 bowls in the past three years, winning one and comming within 40 seconds of winning the MAC Championship and securing another bowl in between that. We have also gone to and knocked off Alabama in front of 70,000 - WI in front of 77,000 - Won a sold out game in Huskie Stadium on National TV vs.#10 Maryland and # 18 Bowling Green so there is no doubt this is a move up for Coach Kill.

Please - Thank him for 7 years of a job very well done, wish him the best and find your next coach and move on with what is a proud strong program at SIU. As NIU fans we can only hope we get a similar result and we will try not to spill sour grapes online when he hopefully leaves us in 7 years for a annual BCS contender making a few M$ per year.

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

#6 Dec 14, 2007
Salukifan, I gotta stand by these Huskie alums. NIU's football team is a true 'up and comer' and my bet is Kill can get them to the next level.
If I was in Kill's shoes, it would be next to impossible to decline a job that betters the financial situation.
I wonder how long SIU's football team will survive, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's gone in 10 years or less.
HUSKIEFAN

United States

#7 Dec 14, 2007
Saluki Rod,

I sure hope your wrong about the 10 year surprise. I know SIU is a basketball school, but it would be a shame to close a program that has such a good foundation to build from now. If you get a good coach he can take over a solid program left by coach Kill and stay competitive. Best wishes SIU in your search!

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

#8 Dec 14, 2007
Thanks Huskiefan.
I hope I'm wrong as well, but in SIU land, the basketball team is king, followed by baseball.
The key is the next head coach decision. If they can bring in the right guy, someone who can keep up the success level, they will survive.
Jess

Lisle, IL

#9 Dec 14, 2007
Welcome Coach Kill! You will like being the head of a major program and university like NIU, and we look forward to the competitive teams you will put on the field. It is also very satisfying that you elevated SIU's football team academically (SIU and academic excellence are never mentioned in the same breath), and that was probably not an easy task.

It will be great to have such a winner come to the MAC, the Chicago area market, and to NIU!
niufan99

Greenwood, IN

#10 Dec 15, 2007
I had a chance to meet coach Kill on fri.Really seems like a down to earth guy.Looking forward to the upcoming season.I fully understand how the SIU fans feel about losing someone like coach Kill.I think as solid as that program is now you will have no problem finding a coach to keep the program where it is.Good Luck!
MiamiHuskie

Orlando, FL

#11 Dec 15, 2007
SIU impressed me this year in their win over the Huskies-they took chances, played aggressively, beat the favored team. Coach Novak saved the Huskie football program, but stayed a little too conservative as time passed. The other successful mid-majors (Boise State, USF) played wide-open games and became successful.
I think Kill will take us back to 2003, when we were a BCS contender.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northern Illinois University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vikings Draft Targets: Jimmie Ward Visits (Apr '14) Apr '14 Laughing Bear Fan 6
News The Hype Train vol 1-- NIU's Jimmie Ward (Jan '14) Jan '14 viking nation 1
News Ranking the Best Mid-American Conference Footba... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Brenda 1
News Ranking the Best Mid-American Conference Footba... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Brenda 1
News Heisman: Winston, Manziel, Lynch among 6 finalists (Dec '13) Dec '13 I THOT THE HEISMAN 1
News NIU passes Fresno St in BCS standings; Ohio St 3rd (Nov '13) Dec '13 Janitor 3
News No. 18 N Illinois beats W Michigan 33-14 (Nov '13) Nov '13 enroh45 1