Bloodbath at alma mater cruelly colors college life

My God, I really wanted to make this one hellacious anti-gun screed. I really did. Full Story
Elbee

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Feb 19, 2008
If you ruled the world, would you rule it with guns? If not, you will not rule it for long! Gary, schools are gun free zones on the honor system. They are not, as history has shown gun free at all. Madmen and criminals know that they have a captive group of victims at these shools. This probably would not have happened if faculty that possess conceiled carry permits were allowed their right to be armed. I know that this ideal is fightening for you, but give it some thaught.
i dont know

Arlington Heights, IL

#2 Feb 19, 2008
Elbee, Do you really think that anyone in Cole Hall had the time to bend down, grab a gun and aim for the shooter? I doubt it. They we're students, waiting 10 minutes for the end of class. Perhaps daydreaming of what they were going to do on Valentine's night, weather it was grab dinner with their sweetheart or go to the bars. Concealed/Carry laws would not have changed the outcome of this terrible, terrible tradegy.
Elbee

Nashville, TN

#3 Feb 19, 2008
I can't prove it either way, but yes I think the likely hood that someone is armed, might have deterred the man. I don't have all the answers but I do know these things always happen in "gun free zones". For what it's worth, a lot of people that I know would have stopped this if they were there and legally allowed to carry.
i dont know

Arlington Heights, IL

#4 Feb 20, 2008
I see your point, but I really don't think that it would have changed the outcome of this event. Really, no one knows if a gun was carried illegally by the students. I just think it will be a scarey world if everyone is walking around with guns.
WPB

AOL

#5 Feb 21, 2008
Oh, yeah. Ask any teacher if he'd want his students carrying a gun into his classroom. The gun-hugger crowd are orbiting in another galaxy, far, far away.

“Democrats Are DANGEROUS!!!”

Since: Oct 07

South Florida

#8 Feb 22, 2008
i dont know wrote:
Elbee, Do you really think that anyone in Cole Hall had the time to bend down, grab a gun and aim for the shooter? I doubt it. They we're students, waiting 10 minutes for the end of class. Perhaps daydreaming of what they were going to do on Valentine's night, weather it was grab dinner with their sweetheart or go to the bars. Concealed/Carry laws would not have changed the outcome of this terrible, terrible tradegy.
I disagree. When the first shot, or hint of a shot happens, the first thing an armed student would do is duck for cover - the next thing is to start shooting back.

Of course, there'd be a slew of liberal bleeding hearts that would ignore the lives saved and insist he/she should have waited for campus police to come with a tranquilizer gun (also ignoring the fact that tranquilizers take time to take effect).

South Florida

#9 Feb 22, 2008
WPB wrote:
Oh, yeah. Ask any teacher if he'd want his students carrying a gun into his classroom. The gun-hugger crowd are orbiting in another galaxy, far, far away.
Perhaps if the teachers would stop perpetuating the myth that the only people with guns are gangsters and cops, and realize that good, normal, everyday people also have guns and that they are never a threat to anyone - except the bad guys, that is.
get a clue

Miami, FL

#10 Feb 22, 2008
Right Wing Conspirator wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. When the first shot, or hint of a shot happens, the first thing an armed student would do is duck for cover - the next thing is to start shooting back.
Of course, there'd be a slew of liberal bleeding hearts that would ignore the lives saved and insist he/she should have waited for campus police to come with a tranquilizer gun (also ignoring the fact that tranquilizers take time to take effect).
I am not anti-gun, I own one. But a wild west shootout in a classroom would have probably resulted in more injuries.

South Florida

#11 Feb 22, 2008
get a clue wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not anti-gun, I own one. But a wild west shootout in a classroom would have probably resulted in more injuries.
My friend, you need more range time.

Personally, I have a lot more confidence in anyone serious enough to actually get a carry permit.
WPB

AOL

#12 Feb 22, 2008
You and your precious "carry permit". I guess that makes you all growed up! Who needs a college edgy-ca-shun when you've got that proof of fuzz on your gonads.

South Florida

#13 Feb 23, 2008
WPB wrote:
You and your precious "carry permit". I guess that makes you all growed up! Who needs a college edgy-ca-shun when you've got that proof of fuzz on your gonads.
Hey, a lot of good your pin-headed anti-gun laws did the ones who died. I've got to wonder how many of them wished they had a chance when the crazies started shooting.
Elbee

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Feb 23, 2008
I saw a news clip yesterday about a serial rapist. A bunch of women were carrying pepper spray. I guess they felt the need to protect themselves. That's kind of a basic human right isn't it? WPB and others like them think that a raped and stranged woman has more value that one standing next to a dead rapist with a smoking gun in her hand.
Elbee

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Feb 23, 2008
WPB wrote:
Frankly I would rather ask a teacher/professor if he or she should be allowed to carry a conceiled weapon.
WPB

United States

#16 Feb 23, 2008
Go ahead and ask them. Then ask some parents of students about it.
Pete

New Milford, CT

#17 Feb 24, 2008
Gary-
Nobody, anywhere, picks up a gun "as easy as they pick up dry cleaning." If you do a little research, you'll realize this.
If you "ruled the world, nobody would have a gun," but that would do nothing to eliminate the predatory nature of the criminal, or the disenfranchised feelings of others.
In the sixties, if you celebrated your "21st birthday the way all college kids should celebrate their 21st birthday, no explanation needed," you were three years too late for your 18th birthday party...and why legitimize binge drinking?
If the schools today had the sense of community and personal responsibility that we had "yesterday," there would be no need for increased police patrols or text-messaging systems.
Today, personal privilege and individuality has eclipsed personal responsibility. Yesterday, we didn't have to worry about kids so alienated that they would kill their classmates, because yesterday, we didn't alienate them as we do today. Today, it's perceived to be the responsibility of the administration, or the police, to hold these people in check, after the rest of the school or community has told them that they are not part of that community. Today's motto seems to be "let the government take care of it: I don't want the responsibility."
Elbee

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18 Feb 24, 2008
WPB wrote:
Go ahead and ask them. Then ask some parents of students about it.
I have asked faculty and staff and the ones I know that have a CWP want to carry to work. One of my sons want to carry, but cannot legally. I have no problem with a school having a policy against allowing self protection. It's a lot like the local shopping mall. The bad guys know that some people are carrying, which makes everyone else safer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northern Illinois University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vikings Draft Targets: Jimmie Ward Visits (Apr '14) Apr '14 Laughing Bear Fan 6
The Hype Train vol 1-- NIU's Jimmie Ward (Jan '14) Jan '14 viking nation 1
Ranking the Best Mid-American Conference Footba... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Brenda 1
Ranking the Best Mid-American Conference Footba... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Brenda 1
Heisman: Winston, Manziel, Lynch among 6 finalists (Dec '13) Dec '13 I THOT THE HEISMAN 1
NIU passes Fresno St in BCS standings; Ohio St 3rd (Nov '13) Dec '13 Janitor 3
No. 18 N Illinois beats W Michigan 33-14 (Nov '13) Nov '13 enroh45 1
More from around the web