Where does Hansbrough rank?

Where does Hansbrough rank?

There are 11 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 28, 2009, titled Where does Hansbrough rank?. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

ASHEVILLE The numbers deserve and demand that Tyler Hansbrough be included on any list and discussion about the best who ever played in the ACC.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Lance

Greenville, SC

#1 Mar 29, 2009
Charlie Scott was NOT the "first African-American to play Division I basketball in the South" That's just a legend that arose from the Dean Smith propaganda machine.

As far as Hansbrough being in the Top 10? Not even close. He benefited more from uncalled traveling violations, uncalled over-the-back rebounds, and more touch-fouls than any player in ACC history. When he entered the ACC, all you heard from "media" was how mature he was as a freshman. Well, OF COURSE, he was mature. He was 20 years old!

Your choice of David Thompson as the greatest ACC player ever is right on the mark, as is your selection of Wilt Chamberlin as the greatest NBA player ever. Rules were changed to keep Wilt from dominating. Rules were relaxed to allow Jordan to dominate.
COCO50

Lincolnton, NC

#3 Mar 29, 2009
I think you have to take your team to the promised land of the Final 4 to rank in top 10 or at least come close (Tim Duncan). My Top 10: 1. David Thompson; 2. Phil Ford; 3. Ralph Sampson; 4. James Worthy; 5. Christian Laettner; 6. Michael Jordan; 7. Grant Hill; 8. Sam Perkins; 9. Art Heyman; 10. Tim Duncan

Since: Feb 09

Asheville, NC

#4 Mar 29, 2009
These arguments are always subjective. It is rare when these players go head-to-head. Was Thompson better than Jordon? Did Phil Ford play as well as Ty Lawson does? Is the game the same today as it was then? How many times would they have to play to get a clear, dominate winner?

When Carolina and Oklahoma clash this afternoon, we'll see some great players get after each other. What ever the result....would it be the same if they played for the next 6 days?
Cmmn sense

Maxton, NC

#5 Mar 29, 2009
Lance.......No one could have said it better than you did!
Bulldog Blue

Black Mountain, NC

#6 Mar 29, 2009
Wow! A list column from the C-Ts tubby 'colunmist.' A cheap way out with little work and less thought. How but writing about events that happen in the 828 area code? You have no insight into the ACC. Enjoy your furlough. Use it to figure out that you should write about local events, teams and athletes.

Since: Feb 09

Asheville, NC

#7 Mar 29, 2009
Bulldog Blue wrote:
Wow! A list column from the C-Ts tubby 'colunmist.' A cheap way out with little work and less thought. How but writing about events that happen in the 828 area code? You have no insight into the ACC. Enjoy your furlough. Use it to figure out that you should write about local events, teams and athletes.
The National interest, all the way to the Chief Executive, is focused right now on the quality programs. There certainly is nothing of substantial national impact occurring in the 828 area. With the exception of ASU's football program, Brad Johnson, Brad Daugherty, Roy Williams, and Darren Holmes cutting their teeth in this area, there is nothing worthy of note. How many times can he write about how the Cats would like to win a game or UNCA is plagued by injuries and failed yet once again, to produce even a conference championship.
Cya

Suffolk, VA

#8 Mar 29, 2009
Cmmn sense wrote:
Lance.......No one could have said it better than you did!
You and Lance are both using Duke/Wolfpack logic. Hansbrough gets fouled more than any player in the ACC. Its the only way you can stop him. If they called all of them, he would score 40 a night. The boy is all heart and doesn't stop to look around with his hands in the air and a stupid look on his face trying to influence the refs a la Duke. Simply stated, he puts the ball in the hoop.

Obviously you guys never played college sports. Quit whining and don't let emotions alter your perception of the "rules of the game".
demondeacons

Suffolk, VA

#9 Mar 29, 2009
Cya wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Lance are both using Duke/Wolfpack logic. Hansbrough gets fouled more than any player in the ACC. Its the only way you can stop him. If they called all of them, he would score 40 a night. The boy is all heart and doesn't stop to look around with his hands in the air and a stupid look on his face trying to influence the refs a la Duke. Simply stated, he puts the ball in the hoop.
Obviously you guys never played college sports. Quit whining and don't let emotions alter your perception of the "rules of the game".
So very true. National Player of the Year honors, 4 time all american. I will concede that Psyco T is the man. This "sports writer" (lol) needs to stick to nascar, or wrasslin.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#10 Mar 29, 2009
demondeacons wrote:
<quoted text>
So very true. National Player of the Year honors, 4 time all american. I will concede that Psyco T is the man. This "sports writer" (lol) needs to stick to nascar, or wrasslin.
Probably also things he knows nothing about! Go Heels! This coming from a Wake Forest fan is high praise indeed. Thank You.
The Last Word

Maxton, NC

#11 Mar 29, 2009
I know MY list of the ACC’s top players is the last word. It includeds college and pro accomplishments.

1. Michael Jordan, North Carolina (81-83)

2. David Thompson, N.C. State (1972-’75)

3. Tim Duncan, Wake Forest (’94-’97)

4. Walter Davis, North Carolina (’75-’77)

5. Larry Nance, Clemson

6. John Lucas, Maryland

7. Charlie Scott, North Carolina (’67-70)

8. Ralph Sampson, Virginia

9. Mark Price (Georgia Tech, 1983-6)

10. James Worthy (UNC, 1980-2)

** Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina (2006-’09)
** JJ Redick, Duke (’04-’07)
* Len Bias (Maryland, 1983-6)
* Jason Williams (Duke, 2000-2)
* Bobby Hurley (Duke, 1990-3)

Kenny Anderson (Georgia Tech, 1990-1)
Shane Battier (Duke, 1998-2001)
Elton Brand (Duke, 1998-9)
Tom Burleson (NC State, 1971-4)
Billy Cunningham (UNC, 1963-5)
Vince Carter (Carolina)
Brad Daugherty (UNC, 1983-6)
Johnny Dawkins (Duke, 1983-6)
Len Elmore (Maryland, 1972-4)
Danny Ferry (Duke, 1986-9)
Phil Ford (UNC, 1975-8)
Mike Gminski (Duke, 1977-80)
Horace Grant (Clemson, 1984-7)
Matt Harpring (Georgia Tech, 1995-8)
Grant Hill (Duke, 1991-4)
Antawn Jamison (UNC, 1996-8)
Bobby Jones (UNC, 1972-4)
Albert King (Maryland, 1978-81)
Christian Laettner (Duke, 1989-92)
Tom McMillen (Maryland, 1972-4)
Sam Perkins (UNC, 1981-4)
Wayne "Tree" Rollins (Clemson, 1974-7)
John Sally (GA Tech)
Jerry Stackhouse (UNC)
Dennis Scott (Georgia Tech, 1988-90)
Joe Smith (Maryland, 1994-5)
Kenny Smith (Carolina)
Buck Williams (Maryland, 1979-81)

** NOT NBA test
* Injury or death prevented NBA career
Cmmn sense

Maxton, NC

#12 Mar 29, 2009
ok cya and demondeacons..if he is so great he will go top 5 in the draft right?..Top ten? Yeah...thats what I thought. If he's so good then why doesnt any pro team want him? He's not even the best player on his team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of North Carolina NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite (Sep '16) Mar '17 MakePhartce 105
News North Carolina Governor Who Signed Bathroom Bil... Mar '17 Bath phart 2
News No. 5 North Carolina pulls away for 83-68 win o... (Nov '16) Nov '16 I love it 1
News Four Halton field lacrosse teams heading to OFSAA (May '16) May '16 predators still o... 1
News UNC pep band finds internet fame with dance-off (Mar '16) Mar '16 Abrahamanic Relig... 3
News UNC Basketball: What Tar Heels Must Prove in Fi... (Feb '15) Feb '15 tanya 1
News UNC Basketball: How Tar Heels Stack Up with the... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Repeatly 1
More from around the web