UConn Football Schedule

UConn Football Schedule

There are 17 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 6, 2009, titled UConn Football Schedule. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

UConn will play six home games at Rentschler Field this season, highlighted by Big East games against Louisville, South Florida, Syracuse and Rutgers plus a non-conference matchup with North Carolina .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Eddie C

United States

#1 Mar 6, 2009
This is great news. College football was meant to be played on Saturdays. Thursday night games of years past hurt attedance and fan interest waned.
white elephant

Woodbury, CT

#2 Mar 6, 2009
This is great news. Six home games at that monstrosity of a stadium. What a royal waste of $$. A multiuse facility should have been built to lura a permanent tenant that would use it more than six times a year.
cinderella

Coventry, RI

#3 Mar 6, 2009
Eddie C wrote:
This is great news. College football was meant to be played on Saturdays. Thursday night games of years past hurt attedance and fan interest waned.
South Florida at rhe Rent on Dec. 5th should be pleasant.
jdn

Shelton, CT

#4 Mar 6, 2009
Should play games on saturday so that is good. also good to see only one sub divison team on the schedule.The only gripe I have is with ND. Why they allow them to call the shots is crazy. If they were in the big east the way they should be, last year they would have been the worst team in the big east.
john pignone

Newington, CT

#5 Mar 6, 2009
Maybe Connecticut School of Broadcasting can take over the Rentch...Owner w/family members being bathroom patrol millionaires, then go on lavish boat trips down the CT River w/non-clients!!!
jdn

Shelton, CT

#6 Mar 6, 2009
john pignone wrote:
Maybe Connecticut School of Broadcasting can take over the Rentch...Owner w/family members being bathroom patrol millionaires, then go on lavish boat trips down the CT River w/non-clients!!!
why don't you try to make sense
lighten up

Hartford, CT

#7 Mar 6, 2009
guarenteed we smash up ND this year, Frazier in a high paced balanced offense will be money the kid has a great arm. Ohhhhh I hope we beat them.
Mike

Somers, NY

#8 Mar 6, 2009
And we spent HOW many million for this stadium so we could play only 6 games this year ? Sell it...let some private folks run it !
JJP in CT

Addison, TX

#9 Mar 6, 2009
white elephant wrote:
This is great news. Six home games at that monstrosity of a stadium. What a royal waste of $$. A multiuse facility should have been built to lura a permanent tenant that would use it more than six times a year.
Nice to throw ideas around that have no substance or aren't thought out. Who would that PERMANENT TENANT be?

In case you haven't realized it most college football stadiums are only partially utilized.

I'm so sick of all the negatives people like you throw out. UCONN is the only game in the state so why don't you try to be supportive.

Here's a thought. Move to some remote part of Maine.
JJP in CT

Addison, TX

#10 Mar 6, 2009
Mike wrote:
And we spent HOW many million for this stadium so we could play only 6 games this year ? Sell it...let some private folks run it !
Sell it? To whom? What should we do with the money? Stick in in the general fund so the politicians can waste it?

BTW 6 home game is what most college football teams play each year. Did you think they were going to play 30?
jciaff

Westford, MA

#11 Mar 6, 2009
white elephant wrote:
What kind of "permanent tenant" do you have in mind? Examples?

The land was donated by UTC to the State for the purpose of building a stadium to house a Division I UCONN football team. Do you think UTC would have donated as much as a handful of dirt had any of your prospective "permanent tenants" been involved?
Simple Observation

Naugatuck, CT

#12 Mar 6, 2009
Perhaps Conn's priorities are faulty. Everyone is concerned about the poor economy. The Gov. is even cancelling the purchase of pencils and paper supplies (sad and embarrassing to me). But we can still afford to pay millions each year to UCONN coaches. Let us not forget Calhoun, Auriemma and Edsall are state employees. I guess as long as UCONN has a winning season nothing else is really important. I'm sure this is very comforting to everyone who loses their job.
JJP in CT wrote:
<quoted text>
Sell it? To whom? What should we do with the money? Stick in in the general fund so the politicians can waste it?
BTW 6 home game is what most college football teams play each year. Did you think they were going to play 30?
UCONN in the Valley

AOL

#13 Mar 6, 2009
Simple Observation wrote:
Perhaps Conn's priorities are faulty. Everyone is concerned about the poor economy. The Gov. is even cancelling the purchase of pencils and paper supplies (sad and embarrassing to me). But we can still afford to pay millions each year to UCONN coaches. Let us not forget Calhoun, Auriemma and Edsall are state employees. I guess as long as UCONN has a winning season nothing else is really important. I'm sure this is very comforting to everyone who loses their job.
<quoted text>
The only validity in your post is part of the name you post under. "Simple" as in "simpleminded"!
You say the Coaches are "state employess" as if their salaries are an expense to the state. For the 10,000th time (and I will say it slowly for the "simpleminded") the coaches salaries are not paid from taxpayers money. The 3 athletic programs you reference are selfsustaining. All costs for operating these programs, including coaches salaries, are covered by revenues generated by the programs. In fact, these 3 programs generate a surplus of revenues beyond their costs which are applied to the Operating Budget at UCONN. In other words, the surplus funds the cost of all other sports programs at the school plus goes toward academic, facualty, construction, etc costs at the University.
To the simpleminded posters who attack the building of Rent. Field let me remind them that the state legislature provide funding for this venue as a multi use facility where UCONN football would be one tenant. The inability of the company managing the property to find additional events for the venue is the fault of UCONN, right?
JJP

United States

#14 Mar 6, 2009
Simple Observation wrote:
<quoted text>
If the governor wants to save the state money maybe she should either live in the Governor's mansion which is maintained by tax dollars or drive herself from Brookfield to Hartford every day on her own dime. Nobody is picking up my commuting cost or anyone else.
JJP

United States

#15 Mar 6, 2009
UCONN in the Valley wrote:
<quoted text>
The only validity in your post is part of the name you post under. "Simple" as in "simpleminded"!
You say the Coaches are "state employess" as if their salaries are an expense to the state. For the 10,000th time (and I will say it slowly for the "simpleminded") the coaches salaries are not paid from taxpayers money. The 3 athletic programs you reference are selfsustaining. All costs for operating these programs, including coaches salaries, are covered by revenues generated by the programs. In fact, these 3 programs generate a surplus of revenues beyond their costs which are applied to the Operating Budget at UCONN. In other words, the surplus funds the cost of all other sports programs at the school plus goes toward academic, facualty, construction, etc costs at the University.
To the simpleminded posters who attack the building of Rent. Field let me remind them that the state legislature provide funding for this venue as a multi use facility where UCONN football would be one tenant. The inability of the company managing the property to find additional events for the venue is the fault of UCONN, right?
Good Post!!
Simple Observation

Naugatuck, CT

#16 Mar 6, 2009
"UConn in the Valley" you are "simply" showing your ignorance by starting your comments with bush league sarcasim toward my name. Not very impressive. You seem to be frustrated as well as misguided. Although the salary of these coaches is generated through ticket sales,media, etc. UConn still depends on taxpayer dollars to stay in operation. Since this is true, coaches such as Calhoun and Auriemme should not be offered multi-million dollar contracts as state employees.
If your school is generating so much revenue, perhaps it should forgoe taxpayer money.
Simple Observation

Naugatuck, CT

#17 Mar 6, 2009
P.S. UConn in the Valley, you couldn't even spell " state employees" correctly. Is it possible you attended UCONN? Perhaps you should follow Calhoun's advice and just "shut up" LOL
JJP wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Post!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of North Carolina NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Jan 17 Go Blue Forever 75
News No. 5 North Carolina pulls away for 83-68 win o... Nov '16 I love it 1
News Four Halton field lacrosse teams heading to OFSAA (May '16) May '16 predators still o... 1
News UNC pep band finds internet fame with dance-off (Mar '16) Mar '16 Abrahamanic Relig... 3
News UNC Basketball: What Tar Heels Must Prove in Fi... (Feb '15) Feb '15 tanya 1
News UNC Basketball: How Tar Heels Stack Up with the... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Repeatly 1
UNC Game Watch (Sep '14) Sep '14 MattWright 1
More from around the web