Injury Shifts Focus For No. 1 UConn Vs. No. 2 UNC

Syracuse, thoughts of tonight's showdown between No.1 UConn and No.2 North Carolina centered on one variety of transition. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
downeaster

Ashburn, VA

#1 Jan 19, 2009
GO UCONN

you will prove to the nation how deep you are and exactly how good your bench is

your players and coaches have always exhibited class and the proper attitude.

unlike other teams you are all a positive reflection on your state

thank you and our prayers and thoughts are with ms doty she will be ok.
KevinCT

West Haven, CT

#2 Jan 19, 2009
Our girls will go down their with enough heart and passion to win. Win this one for Caroline!!!

GO UCONN
Keith

Milford, MA

#3 Jan 19, 2009
As a UConn fan, I have become seriously concerned with the number of ACL injuries that have occurred to members of the UConn Womens Basketball Team! This has been going on for at least 15 years and one has to question whether the Strength and Conditioning Coach @ UConn knows what he or she is doing!
Beacon Falls

United States

#4 Jan 19, 2009
Green and Hayes are going to be the difference makers in this game.
just a guard

West Springfield, MA

#5 Jan 19, 2009
Keith wrote:
As a UConn fan, I have become seriously concerned with the number of ACL injuries that have occurred to members of the UConn Womens Basketball Team! This has been going on for at least 15 years and one has to question whether the Strength and Conditioning Coach @ UConn knows what he or she is doing!
Keith, just an fyi, it has been determined that in women,the way they are built, that womens hamstrings aren't developed enough. Excersising and lifting just isn't enough to change this but it does help. If you follow womens basketball it is happening all over, not just at uconn. Again I am no expert but what I have read and had explained to me by an MD is where I'm getting my info. You can take it leave it or continue to look for more answers.
Rudy in NH

AOL

#6 Jan 19, 2009
Here a link that explains that women are 8 times more susceptical to ACL injuries in sporte.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/aclrepain/a/a...
fan

Glastonbury, CT

#7 Jan 19, 2009
Watch Maya EXPLODE!!!!
LadyHuskyFan

Plainville, CT

#8 Jan 19, 2009
It seems UConns freshamn class is shrinking. This is the third freshman we lost this season (EED, Healther Buck, and now Caroline). Other than Caroline's unfortunate injury, it is too bad that we will never know the potential of the starting five. I am sure the other players will step up, but it is so sad that UConn's true potential, like last year will not be realized. However, I am sure Geno will make the best possible adjustments. The timing of this could not be worse (not that there is ever a good time). UNC vs UConn match up will not be a "true test" after all. I am heart broke for both Caroline and the team.
Mike_From_Connec ticut

AOL

#9 Jan 19, 2009
We will win, its a damn shame that this keeps happening,, but I have a feeling that geno is going to let Maya and Rennee loose again..One thing about our huskies is that you cant double cover any of them, because you will always leave another scorer open..I have a good feeling about tonights game..And I agree with Kevin about those trainers. I know women are more susceptable to injury than men, but this is getting ridiculous. 3 season ending injuries in 12 months, are you kidding me..And its never and injury that last a week or two weeks, its always done for the season type stuff..
rooski1

Knoxville, TN

#10 Jan 19, 2009
Keith wrote:
I know it seems that it is just happenning to UC, but that is far from the truth. Women BB players in general are having more ACL's problems than men, no matter how good your Strength& Condidtioning coach. Within the past 18 months, 3 Lady Vol's have had ACL surgeries. The LV's starting Soph guard just had to "retire" because of her injuries. I just hope your Doty doesn't have to "retire" also. The second time on the same knee is really tough. Candy Parker had two on the same knee and came back, so there is hope for Doty. I look forward to the game tonight. Just got a 46" plasma flat screen, and this will be the first game I watch on it. I briefly thought about waiting for a LV game to be first( hate for UC to be first on anything involving womens BB), but the LV don't play for several days. I will just get a better view of the Huskies first (and hopefully not last) DEFEAT! I thought it would be a toss up until Doty got hurt. Now I have to think that UNC will be a definit small favorite. Triple overtime victory for UNCF.
KevinCT

West Haven, CT

#11 Jan 19, 2009
Hey ROOSKI1

Arent the LV going to be at home watching this game, instead of being part of the Game of the Year? UCONN/UNC have been the marquee game the past cpl of years and possibly the future. Too bad Pat took her ball and left! hehe

GO UCONN!!!!!
Fan

Brooklyn, CT

#12 Jan 19, 2009
hey, rooski ~ I watched as the Lady Vols won the championship last March on my BIG SCREEN ~ now it's YOUR TURN to watch the Lady Huskies win it all on yours! Pretty fair trade, if you ask me! Go Womens Basketball! Better than the men ANYDAY!
Geno supporter

Schaumburg, IL

#13 Jan 19, 2009
This NOT a must win for UConn either, it's a we'd like to win game.

Win or lose, UConn will still play deep into the NCAA even the final four--but we saw with Caroline Doty, there are no certaintees

Caroline's injury will be a motivating factor for the UConn Women. This is the time for Tiffany Hayes and Megan Gardler to step up and become top notch Division One players that they both have within them.

Kaili, will be a major factor, she is the big game player---she took care of Sylvia Fowles last year. She can do it and will!!!

Go Huskies, this is your first REAL test.
UConn Phan

Schaumburg, IL

#14 Jan 19, 2009
Dear Rooski1--your comments on ACL's were good to read. Also, your concern for OUR Caroline. We can see that you don't hate the Huskies and we don't hate the Vols. A great home and home series with the bigs in Women's basketball makes the game.

Too Bad the focus on the world of Womens basketball will be on North Carolina and Connecticut. It will be the series to watch

If any of the professionals (Medical or Coaching) knew how to stop ACL injuries--it would already have been done. Geno would be the first to take the advise to stop ACL injuries to his team. Maybe someday we'll know.
rooski1

Knoxville, TN

#15 Jan 19, 2009
KevinCT wrote:
Hey ROOSKI1
Arent the LV going to be at home watching this game, instead of being part of the Game of the Year? UCONN/UNC have been the marquee game the past cpl of years and possibly the future. Too bad Pat took her ball and left! hehe
GO UCONN!!!!!
You are looking at the game of the year wrong. As much as I love UT, and you UC, it is better for women's BB for these game to be more than JUST UT vs. UC. Away from the FAR EAST, games that have two other top ten teams are also the game of the year. You imply that if UC isn't playing it , then it can't be a game of the year. When we played Stanford earilier this year, I can assure you that the Stanford fans thought that was the game of the year. UT can not play every team every year that wants a part of us. Before you guys came along, we alreay had Stanford,Texas,Duke, La. Teck, and Vanderbilt(not to mention the rest of the SEC) for hard core every year rivals. Now we also have Rutgers, and maybe someday again you guys. Our plate is a little full now. Please forgive us if we don't feel the need to play you guys every year also. Pat also promises every LV an home&away game at the closest major college that our recruits comes from. This is for the family and friends of our players. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see our teams meet each year, but we don't have to play you guys to help our program. We already play the toughest schedule in women's BB every year.
FAN: Your right. Turnabout is fair play. You watched my team, so now I will watch your team. Just like you didn't pull for UT, I won't pull for UC.
Marcus

Gaithersburg, MD

#16 Jan 19, 2009
Wha, wha, WHAAAAT? Did I seriously read people questioning UConn trainers and the ACL injuries?

Just when you think you've seen it all on these message boards, people come up with new stuff to entertain...

rooski1, back again I see. A little UConn-envy, no?
rooski1

Knoxville, TN

#17 Jan 19, 2009
Marcus wrote:
Wha, wha, WHAAAAT? Did I seriously read people questioning UConn trainers and the ACL injuries?
Just when you think you've seen it all on these message boards, people come up with new stuff to entertain...
rooski1, back again I see. A little UConn-envy, no?
No, just bored at home. Big snow here and not much going on the UT blogs. I wouldn't trade(that is what envy means)UT's championships and victories for UC's. I do owe you a "I am sorry" for my harsh post awhile back. Not like me at at all. I do enjoy your posts for the most part. I like talking facts, not trash. What are predicting the score to be tonight? I think UNC gets you guys by about 3-5 points. They have home court, you lost Doty, and they have been beating your team the last couple of times you played. Tell me why my prediction is wrong.
LadyHuskyFan

Lebanon, CT

#18 Jan 19, 2009
rooski1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, just bored at home. Big snow here and not much going on the UT blogs. I wouldn't trade(that is what envy means)UT's championships and victories for UC's. I do owe you a "I am sorry" for my harsh post awhile back. Not like me at at all. I do enjoy your posts for the most part. I like talking facts, not trash. What are predicting the score to be tonight? I think UNC gets you guys by about 3-5 points. They have home court, you lost Doty, and they have been beating your team the last couple of times you played. Tell me why my prediction is wrong.
Your wrong because UConn won the last game last year. Hey, anything can happen any time. Whichever team shows up and wants it more will win. I am certain that this will become "the series" for women basketball every year. I would like to correct you on your other point- the big east is the toughest conference for both men and women's basketball.
LadyHuskyFan

Lebanon, CT

#19 Jan 19, 2009
Mike_From_Connecticut wrote:
We will win, its a damn shame that this keeps happening,, but I have a feeling that geno is going to let Maya and Rennee loose again..One thing about our huskies is that you cant double cover any of them, because you will always leave another scorer open..I have a good feeling about tonights game..And I agree with Kevin about those trainers. I know women are more susceptable to injury than men, but this is getting ridiculous. 3 season ending injuries in 12 months, are you kidding me..And its never and injury that last a week or two weeks, its always done for the season type stuff..
I hope your right. However, even if we lose, UCONN is still the better team. We have not had time to make the adjustments for losing a sharp shooting starter like Caroline. However, I do believe the others will take over in a big way. If we do get our first loss, at least it will be against a class program..... unlike other, i.e. Rutgers or UT. Syracuse recently made my list of a classless program due to their behavior on Saturday.
KevinCT

West Haven, CT

#20 Jan 19, 2009
rooski1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We may have lost Doty but UNC lost their starter 6'2 forward (damn,forgot her name). So they are down a player. Also, I think UNC matched up better last year. Not to mention Erlana Larkins. I think our 3headed All Americans will give UNC trouble just like UNC's depth and press will give us trouble. Should be good. I predict UCONN by 7. Again, dont really care at this point. Just entertainment. It's all about being #1 in the end.
GO UCONN

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of North Carolina NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UNC Game Watch Sep '14 MattWright 1
Voter Integrity Director: Rolls Filled With Ill... Sep '14 Jay DeLancy 1
This Will Go Down On Your Permanent Record (Apr '14) Jun '14 IdeasandTruth 3
James Daye Sports Commentary (Mar '14) Mar '14 IdeasandTruth 1
Does Milwaukee have what it takes to beat 'Nova? (Mar '14) Mar '14 shamiyah 1
In North Carolina coal ash spill case, feds eye... (Feb '14) Feb '14 HeavensToMergatroid 1
Where to Watch Duke Blue Devils vs. North Carol... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Thurman 1
More from around the web