Montwood graduate Roman Martinez make...

Montwood graduate Roman Martinez makes most of play on national...

There are 19 comments on the El Paso Times story from Mar 19, 2010, titled Montwood graduate Roman Martinez makes most of play on national.... In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Roman Martinez walked quickly, calmly, confidently to the free-throw line. He was clearly a young man happy to be there, happy to be in this bright-light moment, standing center stage on this biggest of college basketball stages.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Steve El-Paso Rockport

Aransas Pass, TX

#1 Mar 20, 2010
I wrote to Bill Knight because another area player has been ignored by the Times. That is Jorge Gutierrez of the University of California Golden Bears. We know that Cal is the number one public university in the world by most accounts, but anyone following the NCAA's should have taken note how Cal creamed Louisville and Rick Patino last night. They started up 24-6 and won 77-62. Jorge who is from Chihuahua was named to the all Pac 10 Defensive team and is an intense smart sophomore reminding many of Jason Kidd who also starred for Cal. Cal goes up against Duke Sunday and of course will be a big underdog.
Ex El Pasoan

Dallas, TX

#2 Mar 20, 2010
What a fine young man. I'm so proud that he is from El Paso. I can't believe that UTEP and NMSU did not recruit him.....at least that is what I heard from the announcer of their game against Montana. Good Luck Roman!!!
Ex El Pasoan

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Mar 20, 2010
This story would have never been published if the Miners would have made it to the next round. You would probably see about 10 articles about the Miners instead. Afterall, we have hold on to something (or someone) somehow connected to the NCAA tournament.
eastside

El Paso, TX

#4 Mar 20, 2010
Good luck Roman!

Chuco Town!
_Arrrrrrr

San Francisco, CA

#5 Mar 20, 2010
It's good to see a local kid play in the NCAA, the Lobos were lucky they landed this El Paso product into their lineup where would they be without him at this moment?
Sadly the Miners are out of it so this is the next best thing to home that the Times could print about, something that Albuquerque Tribune or Journal enjoy doing on a regular basis.
el pasoan

El Paso, TX

#6 Mar 20, 2010
Steve El-Paso Rockport wrote:
I wrote to Bill Knight because another area player has been ignored by the Times. That is Jorge Gutierrez of the University of California Golden Bears. We know that Cal is the number one public university in the world by most accounts, but anyone following the NCAA's should have taken note how Cal creamed Louisville and Rick Patino last night. They started up 24-6 and won 77-62. Jorge who is from Chihuahua was named to the all Pac 10 Defensive team and is an intense smart sophomore reminding many of Jason Kidd who also starred for Cal. Cal goes up against Duke Sunday and of course will be a big underdog.
I really don't know the kid Jorge but how can you want local attention
if you are from Chihuahua. Where did he play in El Paso?
El Paso Proud

El Paso, TX

#7 Mar 20, 2010
Ex El Pasoan is correct. El Paso Times would have not given Roman Martinez the time of day IF Utep would have beaten Butler. Guess whatever helps them sell papers. That's the bottomline at El Paso Times.

In a way I am glad Utep lost. This opens up the fact that there are bigger and more important things than the Utep Miners and that is all of the ex local El Paso kids that are kicking butt out there in the college world and beyond.

Great Job Roman Martinez and congratulations to all Montwood faithful.

Since: Mar 10

El Paso, TX

#8 Mar 20, 2010
Im the real El Paso Proud and I would not comment anything negative about the Miners, they had a great year, and this was a hard loss for them and the city but they had a great run and I'm sure Coach B will have them ready for next year. Any local high schooler that does good should be recognized. I would like to see the Times report weekly on any Local in the college or professional level, Im sure their parents would be proud and would make better reading than the local stock ponds getting restocked with catfish.
Chris

United States

#10 Mar 20, 2010
What was especially awesome was when the CBS commentator mentioned that Roman was not even recruited by his hometown team (UTEP) or NMSU.
You have to be from Memphis to play at UTEP.
Coach Harper and all the coaches in El Paso do a good job of teaching the game to the kids its just too bad that the exposure is not very good. I agree with El Paso proud that the Times should do more to expose our kids to the public and other venues. Have you seen any of the other newspapers in Texas? We want to call ourselves a big city?
Roman is doing a great job and is at the right place. He may not be on ESPN Top Ten Dunks but he is in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. That is awesome. Good luck

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#11 Mar 20, 2010
Good result from what seems like a great El Paso young man. Like many with his talents and others with other talents, the best decision is to leave El Paso if you want opportunity. I am proud to be from El Paso, but I know as Roman and countless others do..... If you want to get the benefits of the American dream, leave El Paso. If you can return as a lawyer, doctor or Narco then you can enjoy the benefits of the plantation society El Paso has become.
EdG

El Paso, TX

#12 Mar 20, 2010
traitor!
Steve El-Paso Rockport

Aransas Pass, TX

#13 Mar 20, 2010
New Mexico just got totally creamed by Pac 10 Washington so no more El Paso players. All who's left is Jorge Gutierrez on Cal from Chihuahua. I realize Chihuahua is not El Paso, but its about the only area link left in the NCAA's I was hoping UTEP would last past the first round but it was not to be.

Cal v Duke - Sunday afternoon
rrr

United States

#15 Mar 20, 2010
ggsamj wrote:
Good result from what seems like a great El Paso young man. Like many with his talents and others with other talents, the best decision is to leave El Paso if you want opportunity. I am proud to be from El Paso, but I know as Roman and countless others do..... If you want to get the benefits of the American dream, leave El Paso. If you can return as a lawyer, doctor or Narco then you can enjoy the benefits of the plantation society El Paso has become.
correct. El Paso is a dump, and I hope the brain drain continues. I know Im leaving.
For me to know

Capitan, NM

#16 Mar 20, 2010
Too bad UTEP didn't have the foresight to recruit him
So What

Houston, TX

#17 Mar 20, 2010
A couple of days back, I was reading a thread on here where some arm-chair expert picked UTEP to "beat those slow moving white dudes from Butler". Two days later, several teams of slow-moving white dudes are still alive in the tourney: Butler, Saint Mary's, Cornell, Northern Iowa and BYU. All of these teams play good defense, execute offensively and they are talented as well -- but no one gave them a shot against high-flying, slam-dunking, streetball teams (including UTEP). This year's tourney has been VERY entertaining (even though our Miners are gone) and I, for one, am enjoying the "slow-paced" play. It's a thing of beauty when you watch a team execute it's offense and drop 3's or open 15-footers with precision (just ask the Miners -- they had a front-row seat). So, Einstein, still think those light-skinned boys can't play ball?

Great job, Roman! Another example of hard work and dedication by a local kid who proved that talent isn't found only on the streets of the big inner-cities.
are you serious

El Paso, TX

#18 Mar 20, 2010
So What wrote:
A couple of days back, I was reading a thread on here where some arm-chair expert picked UTEP to "beat those slow moving white dudes from Butler". Two days later, several teams of slow-moving white dudes are still alive in the tourney: Butler, Saint Mary's, Cornell, Northern Iowa and BYU. All of these teams play good defense, execute offensively and they are talented as well -- but no one gave them a shot against high-flying, slam-dunking, streetball teams (including UTEP). This year's tourney has been VERY entertaining (even though our Miners are gone) and I, for one, am enjoying the "slow-paced" play. It's a thing of beauty when you watch a team execute it's offense and drop 3's or open 15-footers with precision (just ask the Miners -- they had a front-row seat). So, Einstein, still think those light-skinned boys can't play ball?
Great job, Roman! Another example of hard work and dedication by a local kid who proved that talent isn't found only on the streets of the big inner-cities.
Where's the story on Cliff Tucker from Chapin?

Hey Hitler, the reason so many light skinned or white teams are making it through the tournament is because all the inner city kids are already in the NBA. Teams in the ACC and Pac-10 have been overhauled completely because of the one and done college environment. And please refrain from bringing BYU in to the equation. 27-year olds playing against kids is not exactly fair -- even if you're light skinned.

And these slow teams will not win it all anyway. The championship game will have a bunch of high flyers on both sides of the court. After all, fundamental basketball is for church and women leagues.
UNMbeatsUTEP

El Paso, TX

#19 Mar 20, 2010
Always great to see an El Paso player of Mexican-American descent do well in College Basketball.
Dunno why UTEP didn't pick him up... Oh wait, I know why because he isn't Black.
Maybe UTEP basketball/football would get more support if they had at least some local players instead of flooding it with a bunch of black apes who don't give a turd about the community.
I love to cheer against UTEP sports.
haha

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Mar 21, 2010
Roman is going down as one of the best lobos ever and i am sad to see him leave UNM but i think that it is best that as the only senior on the team and the best player ever to play at unm he had his own day and ceremony on senior night at the pit.

it was doc sadler who didnt want roman and there is a big story about roman at golobos.com check it out it is really a great story
Rubeinstain

United States

#21 Mar 23, 2010
Best wishes to Roman

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of New Mexico NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Mexico Sucks (Jan '07) Jul 7 Alexander 330
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) Jul '15 Fartman 24
News Adult flag football league recruiting teams, pl... (Aug '07) Jul '14 Mark Martin 135
News Lobo guard back for conference play (Dec '13) Dec '13 BigHog 1
News New Mexico dominates New Mexico St. 66-17 (Nov '13) Nov '13 Marty 1
News New Mexico lands JuCo forward Deshawn Delaney (May '13) May '13 LoboNation505 1
News No. 15 New Mexico too much for Air Force with 8... (Feb '13) Feb '13 U take 5 Dollar 1
More from around the web