sucks

Roswell, GA

#131 May 19, 2010
Hey there is one bright spot about n.m. the chile is good be it red or green. Why do you think that breaking bad is filmed here? They want to show a city or state that is dirty,has bald killers and big time drug nitwits. This place is not a good place to live or have to bring up your faimily. Anyone thinking about moving here is absolutely nuts without question....too man nut cases here this and has benn true for many years....
noneya

Las Cruces, NM

#132 May 26, 2010
I just hate all the Mexicans who act like they are entitled. NM is full of them and NMSU caters to them like royalty.
EyeOpener

Colorado Springs, CO

#133 Jun 1, 2010
Visted Santa Fe and surrounding areas over the long weekend and was quite saddened. Seen a lot of poverty all about and felt like I was in a third world country. :(
LASK

Los Alamos, NM

#134 Jun 2, 2010
Hm, it is odd that NM has the highest rated Public High school in the nation. Oh and Los Alamos has the highest population of millionaires in the nation. My class had a 96% grad rate and 46% went to private colleges. LANL invented the MRI (most of the technology behind it at the very least) and keeps spitting out a ton of shit that you ignorant [email protected] heads use everyday (look it up). So if you wanna judge a town or an area that you actually know then make sure you keep it straight. There are some shitty places in NM, but think before you stereotype a whole state. You are all just as ignorant as the "racists New Mexicans" you insult.
Nmbadlands wrote:
NM is for many, "The Land of Entrapment" vice the state's logo "Land of Enchantment". I have recently departed the local school system as a teacher largely in part to matters related to many of the above observations. If I were to summarize the state's deficiencies, I would address the following issues:
1) Deplorable public schools and state colleges. UNM and NMSU are the equivalency of competent high schools. Listed as noncompetitive schools in Barron's college guide and well deserving of their hideous reputations. NM Tech is the college in the state worthy of the name.
2) Crime is out of control, assisted by deplorable socioeconomics.
3) Taxes are high, to include gross receipt taxes.
4) Yes, some pride in our multi-cultural community on my part. However, not always a happy relationship. I hear ethnic and racial slurs daily.
5) Half the state lives in Albuquerque. I submit that ABQ has exceeded its limits to growth; water, jobs and transportation consisting of major factors.
6) Major political and graft scandals are almost a daily event. I have no respect for or trust in our local and/or state government.
7) Salaries and earning opportunities are very limited here; just not compettive with the vast majority of states.
8) Arts in the parks? What a joke! Expressionism that requires taxation, and for that matter is not appreciated by the vast majority of locals is trash, pure and simple.
I'd love to hear any responses.
NM not for me

Beaverton, OR

#135 Jun 27, 2010
In response to the last post, it is probably true that the education in Los Alamos is good, as Los Alamos is a national center for technical advancements, with well-paid residents, but you kind of just threw out a statement that NM has the highest rated public high school in the nation, when for years, NM had been rated DEAD last in education.
I am someone who moved to NM from back east, couldn't take it for reasons stated previously, and since have moved further west and north to where I am now happy. But I too will share my insights about NM, to vent, as it seems that this is what this forum is good for, being how a native NMcan will refuse to listen or understand what any of us are saying, as native NMcans are conditioned to think that skepticism and being critical should be avoided as it is 'rude' and 'not nice.'(When in effect, in most places, it is helpful in making ideas for improvement.)
-Saying NM has no culture, I don't think is correct. Everywhere has culture of some sort. It is just that NMcan culture is overblown and stretched to the limit by most residents, who seem to take accomplishment in mountains that God created and dumping lots of cheese on Mexican food. Even Jessica Alba said when filming a movie that Albuquerque has nothing to do but shop at Walmart and go to Applebee's, which enraged many residents, who were quick to point out green chiles and the Sandia mountain (those two their eternal ACE IN THE HOLE) yet a mountain and chiles arent something to do.
-NMcans seem to think New Mexico has some sort of connection to Los Angeles, which is odd, like saying Indianapolis has a connection to New York City (what's funny is that most NMcans have NO IDEA where Indianapolis and NYC are)
-Many people on here saying that NM is overrun by Spanish-speaking, racist "beaners" is a)racist themselves for refering to someone as a "beaner"; b)not totally correct, as many of the Hispanics I met in NM DID NOT SPEAK more than 2 words of Spanish. In fact, many Hispanic people I met were racist against Spanish-speaking Mexican immigrants, as well as whites, blacks, and Natives.
The Hispanics seem to take pride in mocking the Natives, Natives who almost sound like they are from westside of Chicago (da Bearss, beerss, deerss)
-But yeah, the Hispanics seem to be very racist against Caucasians. I guess I would be too. The way I figure, the passive nature of NMcans has allowed bossy, obnoxious Texans to move in, and if Texans were my example of what white people are, I would hate white people too. But the racist nature simply derives from ignorance too. I got sick of "Anglo" being used synonomously with "White" by well-educated (by NM's system) Hispanics with Bachelor's degrees, who apparantly know zilch about Slavics, Italians, Celts, Gauls, Scandanavians, and other white ethnicities I have forgotten.
NM not for me

Beaverton, OR

#136 Jun 27, 2010
Nevertheless, speaking of the racism (and Xenophobia), NMcans will gladly award a good position of employment to a Hispanic with a drug conviction and a GED than a non-Hispanic non-NMcan with a clean record and a college degree. I am not saying Hispanics characteristically have drug convictions, I am saying ANY PERSON IN ANY SORT OF POSITION OF POWER IN NM SEEMED TO HAVE ONE. Go look at government offices like the DMV - mostly hispanic employees, the boss is a fat, gangster wannabe cholo.
And speaking of, seems when I lived there, every NMcan born resident either had or was working to overcome a drug problem. Coke, meth, etc. They aggressively tackle drunk driving (yes, a problem) but seem to completely ignore ALL THAT METH USE.
NM has a big problem with enabling. Most places have people that dabble in drug use during college, then kick it because it will get them nowhere in life; whereas NM embraces drug use and it is quite common to see the elderly financially support their 50-year-old children and give them drug money, praying for a change. But if you don't care to do drugs you are labeled as a SNOB who is can't fit in.
And they support their politicians like they are the founding forefathers. Bill Richardson, whom they revere like Jesus Christ, gets caught in a scandal awarding work to Californians without a bidding process, thereby ending his appointment with the Obama cabinet, and all they say is "tough break, Bill." Nevermind he is using YOUR tax dollars to give jobs to another state.
Also, I loved the story where the ABQ Commissioner of Water (or something) was processing his own paperwork to give himself multiple retirement pensions while still collecting his regular paycheck (though not showing up for work) and all the NMcans were up in arms like "he got us! nothing we can do!" Odd, when in most states, if a politician buys a fancy desk, he's HUNG BY THE BALLS.
I suppose I could go on and on, but like I said in the beginning, I no longer live in NM and therefore have something to go out and do! But, last i heard, what's popular in NM now is chopping up and snorting pills (cuz it's fun!) and hating Obama (for no reason they understand other than 'It's trendy now!' and "Healthcare is for Canada, not us!"
But I will leave by saying what i liked about NM:
I thought the people were nice. Racist, but nice.
I didn't think drivers were all that bad.
Sadie's is good.
You don't have to worry about being outclassed or outsmarted.
NM is a good place to visit, but not to live.
Unless your from there.
And then I pray for you.
NM not for me

Beaverton, OR

#137 Jun 27, 2010
Nevertheless, speaking of the racism (and Xenophobia), NMcans will gladly award a good position of employment to a Hispanic with a drug conviction and a GED than a non-Hispanic non-NMcan with a clean record and a college degree. I am not saying Hispanics characteristically have drug convictions, I am saying ANY PERSON IN ANY SORT OF POSITION OF POWER IN NM SEEMED TO HAVE ONE. Go look at government offices like the DMV - mostly hispanic employees, the boss is a fat, gangster wannabe cholo.
And speaking of, seems when I lived there, every NMcan born resident either had or was working to overcome a drug problem. Coke, meth, etc. They aggressively tackle drunk driving (yes, a problem) but seem to completely ignore ALL THAT METH USE.
NM has a big problem with enabling. Most places have people that dabble in drug use during college, then kick it because it will get them nowhere in life; whereas NM embraces drug use and it is quite common to see the elderly financially support their 50-year-old children and give them drug money, praying for a change. But if you don't care to do drugs you are labeled as a SNOB who is can't fit in.
And they support their politicians like they are the founding forefathers. Bill Richardson, whom they revere like Jesus Christ, gets caught in a scandal awarding work to Californians without a bidding process, thereby ending his appointment with the Obama cabinet, and all they say is "tough break, Bill." Nevermind he is using YOUR tax dollars to give jobs to another state.
Also, I loved the story where the ABQ Commissioner of Water (or something) was processing his own paperwork to give himself multiple retirement pensions while still collecting his regular paycheck (though not showing up for work) and all the NMcans were up in arms like "he got us! nothing we can do!" Odd, when in most states, if a politician buys a fancy desk, he's HUNG BY THE BALLS.
I suppose I could go on and on, but like I said in the beginning, I no longer live in NM and therefore have something to go out and do! But, last i heard, what's popular in NM now is chopping up and snorting pills (cuz it's fun!) and hating Obama (for no reason they understand other than 'It's trendy now!' and "Healthcare is for Canada, not us!"
Sadie's is good.
NM not for me

Beaverton, OR

#138 Jun 27, 2010
oh no, i accidently posted the second half twice. i'm gonna get a thousand comments from angry New Mexicans who will argue that because of this error, the content is therefore not credible. Not in those words of course.

"Yu cant even post rite, dumm joto! Go lobos!"
to familia car club

Houston, TX

#139 Jun 30, 2010
Wow u just popped up and proved everyone right !! Lmfao !! Hehe you are such a stereotype of what everyone is talking about.. and you can't spell and lack correct grammar ! I guess you will not see this comment or respond because you most likely do not actually own your own computer !
to familia car club

Houston, TX

#140 Jun 30, 2010
Also ... the lobos suck !
Jeffafa

Chandler, AZ

#141 Jul 24, 2010
I just got out of New Mexico. I tried to like it but I was so disgusted everywhere I looked. I was sick of seeing people who look like zombies and seeing dead dogs everywhere! New Mexico is still in the 1800s!!!
Jeff

Albuquerque, NM

#142 Jul 27, 2010
New Mexico is ignorant and backwards. I say let Mexico have it back. That would be one major burden off the USA. Unfortunatly one the wets figure out there is no food stamps or as they are more commonly known as "Coupones de Comida" in the newest state of Mexico, they will make a beeline for the Colorado Border ese
MrDeez

Albuquerque, NM

#143 Aug 10, 2010
God, this is all so true! This state is like a hot blond bimbo. It's beautiful to look at, but once you get to know it, it's utterly stupid. I've never seen mediocrity so celebrated...ANYWHERE. It's ok to do just enough..."bro"...in New Mexico.
The film industry recently moved out here, and was unsurprisingly disappointed by the local workforce. It was supposed to create new jobs, income and the likes, but the local carpenters, workers etc. just proved everything that this post said. It's ok to be stupid out here. It's just "culture". That's the default answer.
As for all the defendants of New Mexico on this post. Learn how to spell, use the word "our" instead of "are" when speaking possessively. And learn proper spelling and punctuation. You look like an idiot, and successfully proving everyone attacking New Mexico right. People are terrible drivers out here, and are complacent in their lackluster pace of life. This town/state is at least a decade behind the curve, and everyone's happy with it. 2.5 million people in the STATE is nothing. Stop acting like this is some huge trend setting state, get your heads out of your arses, and admit that a larger population will only help this state. They want to be bigger and better out here, but anytime an opportunity shows itself, they protest it.
All in all this COULD be a good state, if everyone got their crap together. This whole "Not my problem...BRO!" mentality serves no one. Stop screwing up your opportunities to be better. We're nowhere near acceptable.
I choose leave it

Huntsville, AL

#144 Aug 12, 2010
I just want to say that I cant believe how you have nailed it right on the head. I moved here to live a better life and attend NMSU in 2007. But after 3 years of living here, I will not even stay long enough for them to mail my degree from NMS-Zoo when I finish this December.
There really is nothing more to be said that you haven't already. It's 3rd world here with all the gov't entitlements and I feel it will only keep changing for the worse.
I tried to keep that enchanted feeling about this place the same that I had when I first arrived, but it wore off like the eventual drunken buzz and starry eyed high that many of the locals seem to very much enjoy here on a daily basis.
I will miss the warmer climate, and the affordable livin but not the liberalism and tolerance of child molestation, murders, corruption, drug use, lack of respect for authority and for me most of all, the blatant elitism of the tenure educational staff at NMSU who havent recieved the memo that they are employed at a 3rd or 4th rate University.
This would be a great state to reloacte all the country's prison's into one lumped in area. From what I've seen, most of the current population in NM would be VIP guest's.......
NM not for me wrote:
Sadie's is good.
Unless your from there.
And then I pray for you.
Tx Raised NM Entrapped

Albuquerque, NM

#145 Sep 5, 2010
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! My fiance is from here and hates it as well. Only problem is her entire family lives here and she is Hispanic so I doubt I'll be getting out of here anytime soon. The only real big argument I have with the anti-nm posters is some are sayin the people here are nice...really? No one here has any idea what southern hospitality is. Perfect example, I'm a gentlemen I still so the simple things like opening a door and letting others pass by me and outta the countless times I've done it 2% of the time I'll get a thank you other than that, these assholes just will ignore you. And all these retards here sure don't know how to drive, I wonder if they teach these people how to use turn signals in driver's ed. But hey if you're poor, stupid, racist, lazy or mexican....new mexico is the place for you! I hope my old lady sees the light soon!
friendly

Florence, AL

#146 Sep 5, 2010
Albuquerque Sucks wrote:
Yes this town those suck lack of culture lack of any brain cells i came to Albuquerque 1992.
NOW i want out nothing but racist hispanics who think they're trend setting. I WILL NOT LEARN SPANISH ITS A WASTE OF TIME AND I REFUSE TO SPEAK THAT PIG LATIN!!!!!!!!!!
i agree with you, i live in santa fe, nm and it sucks. im half hispanic and the people here are fake and racists, i think they hate themselfs. my husband is white and the people here treat him soo bad..we would love to leave but its hard because nm is called land of entrapment! sf is a safe house for elligals since the gov. here is half mexican... he and the gov. cater to the elligals they get everything they want and its not fair.. if law goes through in az that is were we r moving!!
friendly

Florence, AL

#147 Sep 5, 2010
noneya wrote:
I just hate all the Mexicans who act like they are entitled. NM is full of them and NMSU caters to them like royalty.
santa fe is worse the mexicans get everything here, sf is like a safe house for them. its not fair they get everything they want. the gov is mexican too so he is trying ti help them and keep them safe.
living in sf too long

Florence, AL

#148 Sep 7, 2010
people miss judge santa fe, the only nice thing about sf is the mountains.. i lived here all my life and it is not all what people think, the cost of living is expensive, there is crime here but they sweep it under the rug cause they want to tourest attraction to be here, there not alot to do here unles u like galleries or bars oh and returaunts,the tax you on everything, jobs r hard to find unless u have good degree or know someone, most of the population is elligal imigrants. sf is not a good place to raise a child unless u want your child to be spanish speaking! sf is the land of entrapment.most people live check to check, so if your concidering sf then look at other places first because it is not all what it claims to be..
trapped

Albuquerque, NM

#149 Sep 16, 2010
I have lived all over the country, New Mexico is by far the worst place I live. I hate the people here, they are nice to your face, but stab you in the back. The crime rate is worse than Detroit, and not once, but three time in the last three months someone has been arrested here for kidnapping people from out of state and forcing them to be sex slaves. Different people each time. Uh, people don't do that where I am from. I am afraid to drive after dark because the legal system is so ineffective that drunk drivers with 4,5,6,7,8,9 etc. DUIs are still allowed to drive. Someone gets killed once a week from a drunk driver here.
To You All

Libby, MT

#150 Sep 22, 2010
I like what you have to say! I was thinking about relocating to N. M from MT. but, I don't want to make a mistake by doing so. Can you recommend a decent, safe, inexpensive neighborhood there? Thanks.
RPM wrote:
New Mexico's not perfect, but Jesus almighty, you're either making up your problems, or y'all must have picked some pretty crazy neighborhoods.(News flash: if living in the ghetto doesn't sit right with you, DON'T LIVE IN THE GHETTO.)
I've lived here almost 3 years and haven't had any racial problems at all, my neighborhood isn't the slightest bit dirty, and I've never had Mexicans deal dope in front of me or park their cars on my lawn. I'm about as white a person as you're likely to find. I've lived in several states and several countries, and I chose to come here. I've met racist whites, racist Hispanos, racist Indians, they're out there and haven't had any affect on my life. But if you think this place is some kind of benchmark for racism, you just haven't been around much. Compared to the hillbillies from Texas, elitist snobs from New York, fakes from LA, world-weary poseurs from San Fran, leather skinned monsters from Florida and Phoenix, hopeless inbred morons from Ohio and Oklahoma, treehuggers from Portland and the trustifarians and new age loonies from god knows where, Hispanos are easy to get along with. So are the bikers. You don't know racist until you've been through a drivethrough in Indiana on a Friday night with someone who isn't white.
Complaints about local government? OK, fine. I'm sure you'll be much happier in that city or state where the government isn't corrupt.(Where's that again?) Most of the people complaining about New Mexico seem to hate that it's not like where they're from, or they hate that it's not like "the good old days," and it never was. The whole US is worse than it was 30 years ago, granted, but if you love Olive Gardens and Home Depots, you'll be at home anywhere. If you need a Trader Joes to find your bliss, you can be happy in most cities. If you want to escape all that, you're in for some rude awakenings.
It can be hard to make a living here, and sure there's some litter, but it's cleaner than most places I've lived.(To be honest, that's probably because there are less people to litter, not because the people are any less dirty. The US is a fast-food, everything's disposable, everything is someone else's problem kind of society. Cleaner places are cleaner because they spend more money picking things up, not because the people are better.) If I was younger and singler, I definitely wouldn't move here. If I worked for someone besides myself, I'd also think twice.
But a lot of people move here expecting freaking shangrai-la, and when the world doesn't spoon feed them a living, they get bitter. And a lot of locals spend all their days complaining about how it's "gotten so much worse." New Yorkers move here to "get away from it all" and then complain they have to drive everywhere and how there's "no culture." Culture can mean something other than bagels and subways. If you like the Met and thrive in the Smithsonian, you won't find it here. You never were going to, though. New York and DC are much better places to have the New York or DC experience.
But it's still part of the US, and that means you're free to leave as you please if it doesn't suit you.(You could do that "stay and make things better" thing, but I don't really believe that works anywhere.) I'm not saying "love it or leave it" or any other simple notion, you're free to stay and complain as you please, but you have options, it's a big beautiful world. It's not perfect here by any means, but anyone who calls it "hell" is just expressing the pain of their own failures. I make a good living from my hard work, have made some good friends, have a house I like in some place I enjoy being, and can move somewhere else whenever the mood hits me. America's pretty cool.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of New Mexico NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) Jul '15 Fartman 24
News Adult flag football league recruiting teams, pl... (Aug '07) Jul '14 Mark Martin 135
News Lobo guard back for conference play (Dec '13) Dec '13 BigHog 1
News New Mexico dominates New Mexico St. 66-17 (Nov '13) Nov '13 Marty 1
News New Mexico lands JuCo forward Deshawn Delaney (May '13) May '13 LoboNation505 1
News No. 15 New Mexico too much for Air Force with 8... (Feb '13) Feb '13 U take 5 Dollar 1
News Williams scores 23 as New Mexico holds off Illi... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Patriot 1
More from around the web