NFL first-round draft picks overpriced

There are 20 comments on the Apr 11, 2009, Chicago Tribune story titled NFL first-round draft picks overpriced. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Now that the realities of the Jay Cutler trade are settling in, the Bears have to come to grips with the fact they will not have a first-round draft pick in two weeks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wrigley Field Bear

San Jose, CA

#1 Apr 12, 2009
"Pace is a superior player to St. Clair ..."

That's a joke, right? I mean, it's so far beyond being an understatement that I don't know what to call it.
Daedalus

Scituate, MA

#2 Apr 12, 2009
First rounders are overvalued and overpaid which drains cap away from the other players who deserve it much more. Then quite often they aren't ready to handle the position. Very few guys make a smooth transition from college to the the pros and quite often they landed in the right place. The contenders can't pay these prices. So quite often they make an agreement with a player who they will draft at the reight price on the first round or constantly search for some team that wants to use it in exchange for other draft choices now or years later. The first round is unrealistic about prices. The price structure must come down or you will see more and more teams draft for a safe pick that they can afford.
John

Elk Grove Village, IL

#3 Apr 12, 2009
Hopefully the next round of NFL - NFLPA negotiations introduces a salary cap on drafted player's salaries. It is in the best interest of veteran players to stop these ridiculous amounts being played to unproven players.

This will make the draft interesting too since there will be trades galore. Weak teams like Detroit would be able to trade away their number 1 pick and fill multiple holes.
Trey

Chicago, IL

#4 Apr 12, 2009
It is time for the NFL to restructure the value of Rookies. There is no way in hell an unproven player should make that much coming into the league.
ldc

Champaign, IL

#5 Apr 12, 2009
Good article.

While I think the Broncos squeezed every drop that could be had from the Bears, it still was a fair deal.

Even in a good draft, it is very possible to see the first and third-round picks end up as busts or marginal players.

This move earned the Bears a top-tier QB, and SAVED THEM MONEY.
Go Bears

Bensenville, IL

#6 Apr 12, 2009
Well, let's not overlook the fact that Angelo has wasted away the team's draft picks. Teams like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have shown that the draft is a viable way to build a team. At least Angelo's playing to his strengths.
ldc

Champaign, IL

#7 Apr 12, 2009
Go Bears wrote:
Well, let's not overlook the fact that Angelo has wasted away the team's draft picks. Teams like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have shown that the draft is a viable way to build a team. At least Angelo's playing to his strengths.
Could we give credit to Angelo, please?

The bulk of the 2005 and 2006 defenses were made up of Angelo draft picks.

And the team's biggest offensive weapon in the Super Bowl year -- Bernard Berrian -- was also an Angelo pick.

That's not including, of course, Devin Hester.

IOW, this team has largely been built by draft picks, whether directly or via trades.

Even players who have left like Wade, Gage and Columbo have been productive for other teams.

Sure he has had some stinkers, but for the most part, he's done an above average job in the draft.
Good Luck With That

Bensenville, IL

#8 Apr 12, 2009
ldc wrote:
<quoted text>
Could we give credit to Angelo, please?
The bulk of the 2005 and 2006 defenses were made up of Angelo draft picks.
And the team's biggest offensive weapon in the Super Bowl year -- Bernard Berrian -- was also an Angelo pick.
That's not including, of course, Devin Hester.
IOW, this team has largely been built by draft picks, whether directly or via trades.
Even players who have left like Wade, Gage and Columbo have been productive for other teams.
Sure he has had some stinkers, but for the most part, he's done an above average job in the draft.
Those guys are no longer here, without compensation no less.

With all due respect, Angelo's done a much better job through free agency than the draft.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#9 Apr 12, 2009
The NFL pays disproportionately well for "potential." The owners had a rookie cap and found ways around it themselves.

The only way the overpaying of first round rookies will ever change is if an NFL GM successfully abandons this system. This means that they need to trade these picks for proven veterans AND build a consistent winner. Of course, this would only happen with ownership support. Who's willing to give it a real effort?
Mr Breeze

Painesville, OH

#10 Apr 12, 2009
Trey wrote:
It is time for the NFL to restructure the value of Rookies. There is no way in hell an unproven player should make that much coming into the league.
It sure is. And everyone knows it. This will be the first order of buisness in the new collective bargaining agreement. Even vetern players are against paying big money to unproven rookies, many of whom never pan out. The union under Upshaw demanded these salaries in the last two agreements. They now see how this prevents established veterns their deserved salaries because of the cap. The NBA went through this a while back. One thing the NBA players got out of their agreement was free agent eligebility for rookie contracts after three seasons.
Weezy F Baby

United States

#11 Apr 13, 2009
The Bengals are the new Raiders.
Mike

Chicago, IL

#12 Apr 13, 2009
Jerry Angelo's first round picks have for the most part not worked out. No one is question his ability to draft in the later rounds, he does that quite well I think. But his first round picks are wastes of time and money and slowly eat away at the psyche of Bears fans. It's a total loss.
Vee

Austin, TX

#13 Apr 13, 2009
I am actually a cowboys fan and I believe the bears got the better end of this deal. First of all, I didn't here anything that required a trade and secondly, why on earth would Denver make this trade with the way rookie salaries are escalating? It seems they were only occupied with getting rid of Jay (which is foolish because our 2 famed qbs didn't fare any better early on in their careers-they eventually came around so stats can be overblown). I would not want to be the person doing the negotiations for them and you won't incur the huge payroll hit and that will allow you to build towards the future.The cowboys don't have a first round pick this year either and we're glad! There seems to be more busts than booms in regards to the qb position. You did the right thing and don't be shocked when people say you gave up too much-it was probably the same people that told us that Troy Aikman wouldn't amount to anything and we should've traded him instead of Steve Walsh. We all know how that turned out! I'm proud of you Chicago!
Gresham

Sun Prairie, WI

#14 Apr 13, 2009
Good article, actually has so much content in it was thinking you might share some with other tribune sportswriters who always seem to have to do without. Keep up the great work, it is a pleasure to read your well informed columns.

One small quibble, you say grossmans two injuries caused his loss of mobility and reduced his effectiveness. Well, that may be a polite epitaph but what mobility did he have? Remember his first injury, his mobility caused him to fall and hurt himself when crossing the goal line untouched. That's some mobility there. And his ankle, wasn't that going out of bounds while running for his life? I guess that is mobility of sorts. Maybe lack of mobility caused his injuries and led to his early departure. How's that?
California Bear

Pleasanton, CA

#15 Apr 13, 2009
Thanks to Jerry Angelo I certainly undervalue first round picks.

Grossman, Benson, Williams
Rob

Des Plaines, IL

#16 Apr 13, 2009
Give me a break .... just because the Bears dont have a pick, its overrated? Are the bears PR department writing your stuff?
big z

Clearwater, FL

#17 Apr 13, 2009
The biggest problem with the Bears is that they had no O-Line..they were non existent. I don't think it is ironic that Grossman enters the NFL with no history of injuries and then gets injured all the time trying to to throw the ball behind the worst line in the NFL. Those people will never get it in Chicago. Everything starts with the O-Line...look at every successful QB and see how many times they get rushed/sacked in a years time! I mean it isn't rocket science!
John

Elk Grove Village, IL

#18 Apr 13, 2009
Rob wrote:
Give me a break .... just because the Bears dont have a pick, its overrated? Are the bears PR department writing your stuff?
No. They were always overrated.

Try doing an economic analysis of how much money is given to them and how many of they become successful. By becoming successful I mean if they manage to stay in NFL... forget becoming superstars.
DagoT

Ankeny, IA

#19 Apr 14, 2009
It TAKES an over-valued turkey to know an over-valued turkey. Right Mr. Angelo?
DagoT

Ankeny, IA

#20 Apr 14, 2009
Did "Idc" notice that, of "The bulk of the 2005 and 2006 defenses were made up of Angelo draft picks," the 2008 defense lost 7 games?

Or that, "the team's biggest offensive weapon in the Super Bowl year -- Bernard Berrian -- was also an Angelo pick." and was now playing for anther team? And how did that other team do in the Super Bowl?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morgan State University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College Basketball Preview - Mid-Eastern Athlet... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Dwight Love 1
News Is Joe Starkey Too Optimistic About The 0-2 Pit... (Sep '13) Sep '13 urug26 3
News The 10 Greatest Bear Movies (Sep '12) Sep '12 PEE PEE PETE 1
News Notre Dame Football Recruiting 2013: A Numbers ... (Jul '12) Jul '12 BigDan 1
News A rundown/analysis of the Raiders draft visits (Apr '12) Apr '12 Zild0405 4
News ClarkeA's Late Heroics Come Up Short (Nov '09) Nov '09 Hogpower 1
News `Nothing went right in wipeout at Cincy (Oct '09) Oct '09 sambini204 1
More from around the web