Big 12 Admits Blown Call in Mizzou Game

Big 12 Admits Blown Call in Mizzou Game

There are 5 comments on the The Associated Press story from Nov 20, 2006, titled Big 12 Admits Blown Call in Mizzou Game . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

This time, Big 12 officials blew the call. The league's supervisor of officials admitted Monday that the crew working Saturday's Missouri-Iowa State game made a wrong call that nullified what would have been ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

Brisck62

Corpus Christi, TX

#1 Nov 21, 2006
What's new. MU gets screwed at the end of the game when there is only time for one play left to overcome the BAD call. ISU complaines about bad calls last year but they didn't come at the end when they had the game won. Bad calls will always be part of the game, but if a team is driving for the winning score and the ref's end up deciding it with a bad call they should loose there job, just like in the real world.
Chad

United States

#2 Nov 21, 2006
You have got to be kidding!?!?

Who is to say if the officials get the call right on MU's first possesion and call him out of bounds the "call" at the end of the game even matters, maybe that play doesn't even happen?

Or better yet, maybe MU should have tackled ISU's fullback instead of allowing him to run for the most yards by a running back from ISU in like 5-6 years and the "call" isn't even an issue.

And if the refs lose their job for making bad calls, we wouldn't have any officials at all.
Brisck62

Corpus Christi, TX

#3 Nov 22, 2006
Here are the facts: 33% of scoring in college football occurs during the last 3 minutes of the game,(a mere 5% or total game time). Since scoring is the most important part of any game the end is statistically MOST important. The reason all this scoring takes place at the end in simple. Coaches do not always take the gambles to score until the have to. Stats don't lie.

You’re what “if” scenarios could be endless, and really have no bearing on what did happen at the end when the game was on the line. All that matter then is was what happen then.

My point about the refs are simple, if they can’t handle the speed of the game at the end,(logical reasoning taking from stated stats), then they should opt for the Pop Warner league where they would be more comfortable and better equipped instead of taking paychecks from the Big 12. These guys are being paid over a grand each including travel and meals, we should expect a professional job done. Not a fictional call at the end which there bosses agreed was, and which hurts the efforts put forth by the kids playing the game.
Chad

United States

#4 Nov 22, 2006
You can shove all the "facts" and "stats" in my face and it won't change my mind. I will agree whole heartedly officials who can't keep up or just plain suck, shouldn't be there.

However, if your stats are true, who is to say after Missouri scores Iowa State doesn't pull out some miracle and score on the kick off, or pull a Cordell Stewart/Doug Flutie type play to end the game. You just don't know. That is why your "facts" and "stats" don't hold any water when it comes to these types of situations.

It only takes one time. That's why they play the game. And many other cheesy quotes.

By the way you failed to comment on the fact Missouri couldn't stop Koch.

Oh and if Iowa State had made their FG, this probably wouldn't even be discussed.
Chad

United States

#5 Nov 22, 2006
And where was the big 12 coming to Iowa State's aid when they got screwed by bad officiating against Nebraska this year. Two touchdowns called back, one reviewed as well. Where the hell was the supervisor of officials then?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Missouri NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Four-star Texas defender Marvin Terry committed... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Fart news 4
News "Resurrection of Dorial Green Beckham" (Apr '15) Apr '15 tom wingo 2
News Mizzou Basketball Releases 2008-09 Television S... (Nov '08) Mar '15 Lab 3
News Randy Smith: SEC Picks Week 14 (Nov '14) Nov '14 tldooley 1
News Just Let Michael Sam Play (Sep '14) Sep '14 Flatulence Fred 3
News Conservative Christians plan protest, boycott o... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Cowboyzz 10
News A comparison of Michael Sam and Tim Tebow's rec... (May '14) May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 3
More from around the web