SEC releases statement on final play

SEC releases statement on final play

There are 9 comments on the Ledgerenquirer.com story from Oct 14, 2007, titled SEC releases statement on final play. In it, Ledgerenquirer.com reports that:

“He was cut off. He still made a great catch. That was one of those our guys should have come up with.”

The controversial finish of Saturday's game prompted the Southeastern Conference office to issue a statement explaining the way the rule was applied in overturning what appeared to be a 39-yard gain for Ole Miss to the Alabama 5-yard line with five seconds remaining.

Doyle Jackson , the on-site replay official ruled that Ole Miss receiver Shay Hodge stepped out of bounds while running down the sideline before making the catch, thus becoming an ineligible receiver. Alabama coach Nick Saban said he saw Hodge step out of bounds and immediately called a timeout to give referee Penn Wagers plenty of time to consult with Jackson for a replay. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ledgerenquirer.com.

Finn

Pearl, MS

#1 Oct 14, 2007
How can you call what resulted in a penalty from a review. If so why not stop for 15 20 min. or more to review every play and see if they got th call right or did they miss a call. What about the 90 sec. rule to review it. Bottom line, Ole Miss got hosed. The replay speaks for it's self. 1) the defender narrowed the field which forces the receiver out of bounds, 2) the defender comes to contact with the receiver before the ball is caught. 3) Even if you belive they got to the ball at the same time, the receiver gets the benefit of the call. I'd be willing to bet the hot line rang in the review booth telling Jackson, hey, find away to make the call go Bama's way, besides $4mill in salary and we have keep they bowl eligible. SEC officiating is at an ALL TIME LOW!
UA owns ole piss

Nashville, TN

#2 Oct 15, 2007
You're all a bunch of pathetic cry babies. There are many opportunities in a game to win, if it comes down to one play and you lose then you can only blame yourselves. Bunch of p_u_s_s_i_e_s.
footballfan

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Oct 15, 2007
First of all, the official who reversed the call, Doyle Jackson, is from Birmingham. Second, the receiver was clearly being forced out as if the Alabama defender was blocking out for a rebound. Third, even Birmingham columnists are reporting Hodge wrestled the ball away from the Alabama defender yet the official claims Hodge touched the ball first. Fourth, the telling moment in this whole situation is really the 10 to 15 seconds the referee who was spotting the ball held up the game while they looked to the sidelines as if they were checking with Alabama to see if they could proceed well before Saban actually called the timeout. C'mon, this is a clear case of Ole Miss getting screwed and if Alabama fans can't see that, they're idiots. And as far as Saban calling Ole Miss fans classless, he should remember what his fans did just a few weeks ago against Georgia. He also should note whether he's playing at home or on the road before buying another game.

“2 time BCS National Champions!”

Since: Sep 07

Baton Rouge

#4 Oct 15, 2007
GO TO MY POST ABOUT THE OFFICIALS THIS YEAR! BEEN OVER 32 BAD CALLS THIS YEAR IN EVERY CONFERENCE THAT HAS CAUSED AN OUTCOME OF THE GAME! I dont know about the Bama/Ole Miss game, I thought he was forced out by contact so he would still be eligible. But regardless of who won, the officials stink this year!
Howard Roark

United States

#6 Oct 15, 2007
UA owns ole piss wrote:
You're all a bunch of pathetic cry babies. There are many opportunities in a game to win, if it comes down to one play and you lose then you can only blame yourselves. Bunch of p_u_s_s_i_e_s.
I'm a Rebel all the way back to Archie. I know several Tide fans. A few are good friends. They aren't like you. They have some class and good taste. And they are gracious winners. If they wanted to call me names they would do it to my face. You know, like a real man.
Rebel_needs_KY

United States

#7 Oct 16, 2007
For those of you that didn't know Doyle Jackson is an Alabama alum. Not much evidence here to support a red-herring call is there?

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#8 Oct 16, 2007
GREAT CALL. NICK PULL IT OUT AND ITS HUGE ROLL TIDE THE FOOTBALL FAN IS A IDIOT TO POST PURE BS ON THIS FORUM SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE YOU ICE HOLE GREAT CALL DOYLE JACKSON HOPE YOUR THERE THIS WEEK ALSO THE GUY CALL FIN KISS OFF YOU JERK & MORFIDIKE DON'T LET THE CLOWN FIND YOU POSTING HERE AGAIN I WILL FART IN YOUR FACE IF I HAVE TO ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!
DBF

United States

#9 Oct 17, 2007
http://tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php...
That thread contains the definitive picture of who touched the ball first. It also shows that the WR is draped over and resting on opt of the DB. Doesn't matter if he's going for the ball, he's limiting his upward movement and playing the ball through the db. That's offensive pass interference. As far as being "blocked" out of bounds... the WR was never "forced" out and the rules are very clear. The DB used the sideline as a defender (ever heard that term before?). That's what DB's are trained to do and it's perfectly legal. The WR ran out of bounds on his own to get around the DB which is a no-no. Just because a DB has proper position on you and a better position on the ball doesn't mean you can run out of bounds to reposition yourself. On top of alllll that, the replay showed that the DB had sole possesion of the ball when he hit the ground and the WR wrestled it away AFTER the db was down. I have the game on TIVO and have watched it multiple times. I honestly don't see how anyone can rationalize that Ole Miss deserved the ball.
I understand being passionate, but this is just about sportsmanship and reality.
DBF

United States

#10 Oct 17, 2007
BTW - Anyone who says he was "forced out" is lying to themselves. The WR made a move to the outside clear as day. Don't fault the DB for having proper position.

I love the conspiracy theories though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mississippi Rebels NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Top Five Camp Questions for Ole Miss (Sep '16) Sep '16 Jim McCauley 1
News LSU's offense couldn't help the defense in the ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 joey 1
News Hot Reads: Saturday nears, and we smell upsets (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mizzou Fan 1
News Respect Hunting (May '13) May '13 Karvellis Lee 1
Rory Johnson LB from Vicksburg/Hinds Comm. College (Aug '06) Mar '13 tim 3
News Top-ranked Crimson Tide get back to SEC work ag... (Sep '12) Sep '12 BigDan 3
News Trent Richardson Heisman Finalist: Alabama RB A... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Tim rhodes 1
More from around the web