Neyland goes smoke-free

Neyland goes smoke-free

There are 97 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Jul 24, 2007, titled Neyland goes smoke-free. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

Smokey the bluetick coonhound will find himself in a smokeless environment this football season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Scott

Kingsport, TN

#1 Jul 24, 2007
Now if we could just make it LOSS free we would be accomplishing something.
ghost town

Huntersville, NC

#2 Jul 24, 2007
It's about time!!
Momma

Waynesboro, TN

#3 Jul 24, 2007
Finally, something GOOD in the news today! This is the best news I've heard in a long time.

My only concern is this: Who's going to enforce the smoking ban? My daughters couldn't even go to the bathroom at Farragut High School because the smoke was so thick they couldn't breathe. Rules are only as strong as the enforcement that backs them up.
Not a drug addict

Knoxville, TN

#4 Jul 24, 2007
Yea!

Let the drug addicted tobacco users practice their stinky, dangerous habit elsewhere!

They do not have the right to pollute my air!
knoxville sux

United States

#5 Jul 24, 2007
who cares my buh, says he likes notre dame! we're going up north. they're going to kick some smokey butt in 08.
Gwen

Atlanta, GA

#6 Jul 24, 2007
Scott wrote:
Now if we could just make it LOSS free we would be accomplishing something.
Good thought, I have a feeling we are going need all the help we can get. Magic, voodoo, prayers!!!!
Go Vols.

DAH

“Live, Laugh, Love”

Since: Jun 07

Knoxville, TN

#7 Jul 24, 2007
People seem to forget that smokers also fund the beloved football program. Think about how much money they would miss if smokers refused to attend. It's still ok to drink and make a complete idiot of yourself though right?
ARIA

United States

#8 Jul 24, 2007
Do they serve beer?
If so, they need to go alcohol free too.
ARIA

United States

#9 Jul 24, 2007
Scott wrote:
Now if we could just make it LOSS free we would be accomplishing something.
Or, make the football team Thug Free.
But, that won't ever happen.
Johnn Trotter

Clayton, IN

#10 Jul 24, 2007
I am a non-smoker but cannot understand why smoking is banned outdoors. Poor law.
Wally World Queen

Eatonton, GA

#11 Jul 24, 2007
This issue has been pushed way too far. Even in states that have the smoking ban, you can still smoke in the designated area's on the ramps, at their stadiums.
I supposed the loss of revenue from mine and my spouses tickets, food, souvenirs, parking, etc., will be made up by non-smokers.
All you backwards, TN hillbillies enjoy the game!
unlisted

United States

#12 Jul 24, 2007
ARIA wrote:
Do they serve beer?
If so, they need to go alcohol free too.
No, beer is not sold at UT sports functions. That doesn't meet alcohol is not over there though. Walk through the parking garage before the first home football game.
unlisted

United States

#13 Jul 24, 2007
Oops! "mean" not "meet". "That doesn't mean alcohol..." Sorry.
Dad

Columbia, MO

#14 Jul 24, 2007
DAH wrote:
People seem to forget that smokers also fund the beloved football program. Think about how much money they would miss if smokers refused to attend. It's still ok to drink and make a complete idiot of yourself though right?
Second-hand drinking doesn't kill people. Second-hand smoke does. If people are so selfish that they won't go to a football game unless they're allowed to poison the air of others, let them stay at home, they're not much of a fan anyway.

Now, that said, I'm all for any ideas you could come up with to reduce drinking at games, too. But that's a seperate issue. This was a very good move by UT.
Dad

Columbia, MO

#15 Jul 24, 2007
Johnn Trotter wrote:
I am a non-smoker but cannot understand why smoking is banned outdoors. Poor law.
Because second-hand smoke kills people, because it's immensely rude and disturbs others, because there's no legitimate reason to smoke around others, because people have a right to go to a public place and not come home smelling like a cheap bar. You say "smoking banned outdoors" as if this were a big park with lots of space, it's not, it's 100,000 people crammed into a stadium. They should have banned smoking there years ago.
Dad

Columbia, MO

#16 Jul 24, 2007
Wally World Queen wrote:
This issue has been pushed way too far. Even in states that have the smoking ban, you can still smoke in the designated area's on the ramps, at their stadiums.
I supposed the loss of revenue from mine and my spouses tickets, food, souvenirs, parking, etc., will be made up by non-smokers.
All you backwards, TN hillbillies enjoy the game!
You got it wrong. A person who claims to support a team yet stops going to a game because they're not allowed to poison the air of others is the backwards one.
Gwen

Atlanta, GA

#17 Jul 24, 2007
Wally World Queen wrote:
This issue has been pushed way too far. Even in states that have the smoking ban, you can still smoke in the designated area's on the ramps, at their stadiums.
I supposed the loss of revenue from mine and my spouses tickets, food, souvenirs, parking, etc., will be made up by non-smokers.
All you backwards, TN hillbillies enjoy the game!
Hey, us backward TN hiibillies didn't make this rule for the UT football games. Name calling a little mind trying to express itself. Grow up!!!
Vicki

Nashville, TN

#18 Jul 24, 2007
Not a drug addict wrote:
Yea!
Let the drug addicted tobacco users practice their stinky, dangerous habit elsewhere!
They do not have the right to pollute my air!
My,My,My...You sure sound bitter
UPSET Vol Fan

Knoxville, TN

#19 Jul 24, 2007
I thought the smoking ban in the stands was a good idea. Even though I smoke, the areas are much too cramped to not offened someone around you with smoking, however, I think this has taken it a bit too far. I have been a fan for many years and only missed a couple of games in the past 10 years. I will however not attend another game at Neyland Stadium. The non smokers can make up the extra money I normally spend on food, drink, parking, tickets, donations, souvenirs, etc.
Fred

Knoxville, TN

#20 Jul 24, 2007
Dad wrote:
<quoted text>
Second-hand drinking doesn't kill people. Second-hand smoke does. If people are so selfish that they won't go to a football game unless they're allowed to poison the air of others, let them stay at home, they're not much of a fan anyway.
Now, that said, I'm all for any ideas you could come up with to reduce drinking at games, too. But that's a seperate issue. This was a very good move by UT.
I would have to argue that getting killed by a drunk driver is dying by second hand drinking. Just a thought...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mississippi Rebels NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Top Five Camp Questions for Ole Miss (Sep '16) Sep '16 Jim McCauley 1
News LSU's offense couldn't help the defense in the ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 joey 1
News Hot Reads: Saturday nears, and we smell upsets (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mizzou Fan 1
News Respect Hunting (May '13) May '13 Karvellis Lee 1
Rory Johnson LB from Vicksburg/Hinds Comm. College (Aug '06) Mar '13 tim 3
News Top-ranked Crimson Tide get back to SEC work ag... (Sep '12) Sep '12 BigDan 3
News Trent Richardson Heisman Finalist: Alabama RB A... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Tim rhodes 1
More from around the web