Ole Miss fans pine for Cutcliffe days

Ole Miss fans pine for Cutcliffe days

There are 44 comments on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution story from Sep 29, 2006, titled Ole Miss fans pine for Cutcliffe days. In it, Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that:

In 2003, David Cutcliffe had Ole Miss football at a level it hadn't seen since the Nixon Administration.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mac Davis

Cleveland, MS

#1 Oct 1, 2006
Had Cutcliff recruited, he would still be there. Look at the roster now. Bare, except for the new players coming in since his de[arture. Cutcliff was sucessful because of talent left by Tuberville & the services of Eli Manning & the support staff that followed him to Ole Miss. Nice guy, terrible head coach/recruiter.
Eagle

Hayneville, AL

#2 Oct 1, 2006
And your doing better without em?
Cutwho

Oxford, MS

#3 Oct 2, 2006
Either it was keep Cutcliffe and be a medeocor five hundred or worse team until Eli had offspring or get rid of him and pick up a coach who would actually go somewhere exciting with the program albeit not immediately. Cutcliffe could make a game like Georgia Saturday interesting with his coaching but not recruiting which is what gives you a chance. You don't have a chance with what Cut was bringing into Oxford. None of Cutcliffe's players that left with him or soon after went anywhere better than ole miss. Enough said.
Eagle

Hayneville, AL

#4 Oct 3, 2006
Ole Miss seems worse without him. He improved the program and since he has been gone the program has fallen, again. Just an outside observation.
paul kelly

AOL

#5 Oct 3, 2006
cutcliff was a nice guy and ole miss fans should be greatful to him for coming in and taking over when that snake, tubberville, left in the middle of the night, but he wasn't getting the job done as head coach. give O a chance to get some more recruits and experience and i think we will be where we want to go.
Cutwho

University, MS

#6 Oct 3, 2006
Ole Miss is worse without a Duece Mcallister or an Eli Manning not without a David Cutcliffe. I have two siblings that where friends of David Cutcliffe growing up in Alabama. I have no ill will against David Cutcliffe. Not everyone is meant to be a head coach. Cutcliffe is a good example. As Mark Richt showed Saturday against the Ole Miss rebels, It's better to be a good recruiter and a not as of a good coach than a great coach and not as good recruiter. Georgia won that game with raw talent, nothing more.
bcz

United States

#7 Oct 18, 2006
I think 10-2 and a Cotton Bowl win is getting somewhere. To become a consistent program, you have to weather the ups and downs. He had to be doing something right to immediately be picked up as the OC for Notre Dame. Now, he has completely revamped an offensive team in Knoxville. I'm just saying 10-2 was excellent for Ole Miss. The Rebs may have jumped the gun on getting rid of Cutcliffe.
Eagle

Hayneville, AL

#8 Oct 18, 2006
bcz wrote:
I think 10-2 and a Cotton Bowl win is getting somewhere. To become a consistent program, you have to weather the ups and downs. He had to be doing something right to immediately be picked up as the OC for Notre Dame. Now, he has completely revamped an offensive team in Knoxville. I'm just saying 10-2 was excellent for Ole Miss. The Rebs may have jumped the gun on getting rid of Cutcliffe.
Agreed.
Cutwho

University, MS

#9 Oct 20, 2006
Eli Manning was one of the greatest college quarterbacks to ever play the game. He was the only significant departure after the 10-2 Cotton Bowl Season and what happened? We were terrible. Cutcliffe was largely ineffective without great players that he was and is ineffective at going out and finding. He is a great probably wouldn't be bad in the NFL because they have GM's there. In college getting the talent is ninety percent of the battle.
bcz

United States

#10 Oct 23, 2006
About Manning, losing an All-American quarterback is a very significant loss. 3-8 was probably too far of a drop off after a 10-2 season, but not everyone can just re-load after losing a player like that.

Here's my two points:

1. The 2003 Rebels were made up almost entirely of players Cucliffe recruited.

2. 10-win seasons have been few and far between at Ole Miss in the last 30 years. Cutcliffe deserves a lot of the credit for that team's success.
Eagle

Hayneville, AL

#11 Oct 24, 2006
bcz wrote:
About Manning, losing an All-American quarterback is a very significant loss. 3-8 was probably too far of a drop off after a 10-2 season, but not everyone can just re-load after losing a player like that.
Here's my two points:
1. The 2003 Rebels were made up almost entirely of players Cucliffe recruited.
2. 10-win seasons have been few and far between at Ole Miss in the last 30 years. Cutcliffe deserves a lot of the credit for that team's success.
Obviously. I agree 100%
fishhomer

United States

#12 Oct 24, 2006
You can't be serious. Butcliffe left the cupboard bare. His recruiting was so bad, he wasn't even filling all of his scholarships. That's like being on NCAA probation for no reason. Other than Patrick Willis, there are basicaly no Cutcliffe players contributing to this team. Orgeron might not be the answer, but I'd rather find that out now than have waited two more years.
Cutwho

University, MS

#13 Oct 24, 2006
Cutcliffe wouldn't even play Patrick Willis. That fact in and of itself is reason to fire Cutcliffe. Hindsight is 20/20 on this one and Hindsight is FIRE CUTTCLIFFE! Losing Eli and noone else of real note and playing like we did(not the losing just the playing like we did) is inexcusable. A ten win team doesn't forget how to win with the loss of one player unless that one player was in a terrible situation. I feel bad for Eli and the five years of crap he had to put up with at Ole Miss. If Archie and Peyton hadn't recruited the kid here for Cutcliffe he never would have considered it and Cutcliffe would have lasted two years tops. We might have even been kicked out of the SEC with how bad we could have gotten without Eli. There is no telling what would have happened.
bcz

United States

#14 Oct 25, 2006
Alright, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. You people follow Ole Miss football more closely than I do. Seriously though, when was the last time the Rebs won 10 games before '03?
HoopMonster

Pinole, CA

#15 Oct 28, 2006
2 wins and 7 losses and still have LSU and Miss State to play. Tennessee is 7 wins 1 loss and ranked in top ten. Big turn-around for Tennesse with the same talent as last year. Only difference is David Cutcliffe. Ask the Manning family if they think firing him was fair and good for Ole Miss!
Cutwho

University, MS

#16 Oct 31, 2006
Your dumb, or you didn't read any of the other previous postings. Cuttcliffe lost one player, Eli Manning after a 10-3 season, and he proceeded to go 4-7 in 2004. I saw it. I was a freshman here. It's not that Cuttcliffe is a bad coach when it comes to game preparation. He's one of the best in the business at game preparation. He can't recruit to save his life. He can't effectively find and evaluate talent and get them to come to a school. You can't argue against that. It is just the way it is. Cuttlciffe road on Tuberville's talent and brought in Eli because he had coached peyton at tennessee that is the only reason he lasted as long as he did. Don't talk HoopMonster unless you're going to address the entire situation. Yes Cuttcliffe is doing great at Tennesse as the OFFENSIVE COORDIANTOR. I knew he would just like everyone else knew he would. Fulmer does the recruiting and public relations. Cuttcliffe calls the games and gets the wins.
Cutwho

University, MS

#17 Oct 31, 2006
And speaking of this year's Ole Miss Squad. We are the second youngest football team in the nation behind Temple. We have played over twenty of our 2005 recruiting class. We have two true freshman starting on our defensive line. We have one true freshman starting on our Offensive line. We have had at least four different true freshman start at wide receiver. Brent Schaeffer got here in August. YEt we have Lost to 2 Top ten teams by five and six point respectively. Watch out for Ole Miss come next year. We are losing one key senior in Patrick Willis. Yes Cuttcliffe signed him. That is because Ole Miss gave him his best offer nobody knew about Patrick Willis. In three years say all you want about firing cuttcliffe.
Cutwho

University, MS

#18 Oct 31, 2006
We're an emotionally volatile 2-7 team because we are young and immature.
Eagle

Hayneville, AL

#19 Oct 31, 2006
Ole Miss can play with anyone in the SEC. If they'll stick it out with a coach then I can see some good things happening. They looked very tough against Auburn. We (SEC) need another tough team in the west for some balance against the east.
Cutwho

University, MS

#20 Oct 31, 2006
Thank you. Cuttcliffe didn't show that he could do this for us with any sort of longevity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mississippi Rebels NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Top Five Camp Questions for Ole Miss (Sep '16) Sep '16 Jim McCauley 1
News LSU's offense couldn't help the defense in the ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 joey 1
News Hot Reads: Saturday nears, and we smell upsets (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mizzou Fan 1
News Respect Hunting (May '13) May '13 Karvellis Lee 1
Rory Johnson LB from Vicksburg/Hinds Comm. College (Aug '06) Mar '13 tim 3
News Top-ranked Crimson Tide get back to SEC work ag... (Sep '12) Sep '12 BigDan 3
News Trent Richardson Heisman Finalist: Alabama RB A... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Tim rhodes 1
More from around the web