Setting a tone: New staff testing Gop...

Setting a tone: New staff testing Gophers on the field and in the classroom

There are 11 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 21, 2011, titled Setting a tone: New staff testing Gophers on the field and in the classroom. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

New Gopher head coach Jerry Kill, right, watches the team practice during the Minnesota Gophers first spring football practice in Minneapolis, Minn., on Thursday, March 24, 2011.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

The Hard Truth

Northome, MN

#1 Apr 22, 2011
I think I've finally figured it out. Coach Kill deals with the kids like this is an extension of high school; clowns like Brewster dealt with the kids like they were young NFLers. Kill seems to understand that these are not yet mature men who will make good decisions on their own. He is holding them accountable and forcing them to be responsible for their decisions or lack thereof.

I, personally, find it very refreshing. It's nice to see someone who has a global view of the student athlete's situation and approaches it with an attention to detail.

Good luck, Mr. Kill. A lot of us have your back.
DD Austin

Pinola, MS

#2 Apr 22, 2011
Coach Kill can do just fine without Maturi checking up on him all the time. He has the track record to prove it. Maturi needs to be attending to his own job, and.....doing it much much much better!!!!!!!
Ben Dreith

Coraopolis, PA

#3 Apr 22, 2011
I want to know who is dropping in on Joltin Joel Maturi to see if he is being accountable? Last time I checked, Tubby's basketball program sucked, Donnie's so called high powered hockey program sucked, and Gopher baseball still plays in a dump for their home games. Doesn't seem like anyone is checking in on Joltin Joel

The more you hear about Kill's practices and procedures, the more everyone should be infuriated with Maturi's decision to hire Punky Brewster. It becomes more and more apparent each day that he had no semblance of a program or team discipline! How was this allowed to go on over three years. Apparently our man Joel has had no one looking at him>
Nostradumass

Webster, NY

#4 Apr 22, 2011
Ben Dreith wrote:
I want to know who is dropping in on Joltin Joel Maturi to see if he is being accountable? Last time I checked, Tubby's basketball program sucked, Donnie's so called high powered hockey program sucked, and Gopher baseball still plays in a dump for their home games. Doesn't seem like anyone is checking in on Joltin Joel
The more you hear about Kill's practices and procedures, the more everyone should be infuriated with Maturi's decision to hire Punky Brewster. It becomes more and more apparent each day that he had no semblance of a program or team discipline! How was this allowed to go on over three years. Apparently our man Joel has had no one looking at him>
When you don't do anything, you don't need someone watching over you.
Wisco Beef

Springfield, IL

#5 Apr 22, 2011
A few more notes from the penultimate practice:
-- The "Football Frenzy" that the Gophers had hoped would reignite student interest in football fizzled, thanks to the winter that won't end. It was supposed to be a giant pizza party last Friday, but was postponed until Thursday by the snow that day. Thursday wasn't much better, with mid-40s temps, and the 3 p.m. start time wasn't particularly convenient for students. So while the Gophers had 500 team blankets to give away, and pizza and soft drinks for at least that many, perhaps a couple of hundred students actually showed up.
quigle

Eden Prairie, MN

#6 Apr 22, 2011
Blah blah blah, let's see what happens on Saturdays starting in Sept. There is always a lot of blather with a new coach--just win baby
quigle

Eden Prairie, MN

#7 Apr 22, 2011
Ben Dreith wrote:
Exactly right. Gopher sports are a disgrace and people like Sid Hartman and Dave Mona were telling us last fall the great improvements Brewster had brought to the program. Maturi should have been fired years ago!
krz007mn

United States

#9 Apr 22, 2011
the real just another day wrote:
Why do the Goofer coaches all look like pedophiles?
Look in your own mirror.
the real just another day

Hugo, MN

#10 Apr 23, 2011
krz007mn wrote:
<quoted text>
Look in your own mirror.
I did. I'm not overweight, balding, pasty-faced, and wear pedophile glasses. Guess I'm ok....

Since: Jan 11

Oakland, CA

#11 Apr 23, 2011
the real just another day wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. I'm not overweight, balding, pasty-faced, and wear pedophile glasses. Guess I'm ok....
LOL, should be the come back of the day.
Chuck

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Apr 28, 2011
Does this mean the new coaching staff won't be looking the other way while players not so sneakily commit plagiarism?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Minnesota NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Big Ten Football Review: The One Where The Gnom... (Sep '14) Sep '14 gophsupport 1
News Bigotry couldn't stop former Seminole Ernie Cook (Dec '07) Apr '14 Michaud Cook 18
News NFL Draft: Minnesota's Hageman is rare top draf... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Tom 1
News Sansevere's Huddle: Tubby hindered Gophers' Col... (Mar '10) Aug '13 Ellen 15
News Minnesota fires Tubby Smith; going after Shaka? (Mar '13) Mar '13 PB in St Paul 2
News IU's loss to Minnesota, Big 10 Title possibilit... (Mar '13) Mar '13 STEVE MINNICK 1
News Minnesota vs. Indiana: Start Time, Live Stream,... (Jan '13) Jan '13 mei 1
More from around the web