Illinois 71, Gophers 62: Minnesota lo...

Illinois 71, Gophers 62: Minnesota loses fourth straight game

There are 19 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 10, 2011, titled Illinois 71, Gophers 62: Minnesota loses fourth straight game. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

RECAP: Minnesota and Illinois both desperately needed a win to get back on track for a run at an NCAA tournament bid.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Zeke

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Feb 11, 2011
Collectively, the Gophers just can't shoot...no range beyond 10ft. Hoffarber is the only 3 pt threat...but with only one long range shooter, very easy to defend.

Unfortunately, the free throw line is at 15 feet (out of range).

Can't shoot, can't score, can't win.
Gcracker

Rochester, MN

#2 Feb 11, 2011
Collectively, the Gophers can't shoot, rebound, play defense, make free throws, dribble, pass or have adequate coaching. Other than that, they look great!

Looks like this will be a "one and done" team come tournament time (and by tournament, of course I mean N.I.T.).

Hey, at least we still have the mascot-of-the-year: Goldie!
griddy

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Feb 11, 2011
Way to coach 'em up, Tubby.
Wisconsin Beef

Rock Island, IL

#4 Feb 11, 2011
Tubby Smith: ANOTHER Epic MN goofer sports FAILURE! I remember when your boneheaded AD was touting him a "home run hire." Looks more like a "reached base on an error" to me! lmao!
The Loon

Lindstrom, MN

#5 Feb 11, 2011
Wisconsin Beef wrote:
Tubby Smith: ANOTHER Epic MN goofer sports FAILURE! I remember when your boneheaded AD was touting him a "home run hire." Looks more like a "reached base on an error" to me! lmao!
Yes, Badger fans would want to force Coach Smith out. We started this season with the normal 13 full ride players on board.

According to my math, that meant we had two players for each position on the team plus three spares. The two point guard players were returning senior Al Nolen and First Team, All Big Ten Tournament Team player Devoe Joseph. Coach Smith also tried to give more experience to Blake Hoffarber at that position so he could spot the two if needed. None of the freshman guards showed instant talent at the PG position. Potential was there for the young guys, but they were a year away from big time PT.

So, what happened? Nolen broke his foot and pot head Devoe Joseph decided to take his show to the more weed friendly University of Oregon. Blake Hoffarber has not been able to be the only scooter on the team and run the point at the same time. Those are realities that can not be overcome in the Big Ten. Until the run guards get better we are in big trouble no matter who the coach is or will be. End of story.
Brewster

Cottage Grove, MN

#6 Feb 11, 2011
I know a "bunch of ***** losers" when I see um!
Give me half of Tubbys salary and I promise you they will live up to their name.
*** whoop, there it is!
Hawkshaw

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 11, 2011
...and at the beginning of the year I was chastised for picking them 6th in the big ten. Now it looks like I may have been to optimistic.
Wisconsin Beef

Rock Island, IL

#8 Feb 11, 2011
The Loon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Badger fans would want to force Coach Smith out. We started this season with the normal 13 full ride players on board.
According to my math, that meant we had two players for each position on the team plus three spares. The two point guard players were returning senior Al Nolen and First Team, All Big Ten Tournament Team player Devoe Joseph. Coach Smith also tried to give more experience to Blake Hoffarber at that position so he could spot the two if needed. None of the freshman guards showed instant talent at the PG position. Potential was there for the young guys, but they were a year away from big time PT.
So, what happened? Nolen broke his foot and pot head Devoe Joseph decided to take his show to the more weed friendly University of Oregon. Blake Hoffarber has not been able to be the only scooter on the team and run the point at the same time. Those are realities that can not be overcome in the Big Ten. Until the run guards get better we are in big trouble no matter who the coach is or will be. End of story.
Shut the hel.l up you old welfare case loser! Goofa "athletics" s.uck!! PS: The U of MN is the most pot friendly campus for "athletes" in America! If it wasn't, you wouldn't even have the water boys showing up for kickoffs and tipoffs!
Phil

Hopkins, MN

#9 Feb 11, 2011
The Gophers are playing their way out of the NCAA field, and I would say that they are already on the outside looking in after this loss. The remaining schedule is manageable, but with how they are struggling right now every one of those games is in doubt. Hoffarber is out of his comfort zone as a PG, and it is negatively affecting his shooting percentage. Iverson was terrible last evening, Sampson had some production but was inconsistent as usual, and the young freshman look disoriented out there. It's going to take more than Blake and Trevor to win any remaining games.
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#10 Feb 11, 2011
They should be practicing free throws at least an hour a day, it may even improve their shooting from the outside. As the announcers pointed out last night the Gophers are right there but cannot finish off a play. Why hasn't Sampson been in the weight room so he can take it to the hoop with authority instead of looking like a stringbean. Then you have Mbakway and Williams who make great moves but can't put the ball in the hoop as much as they should---slam the damned thing home don't pussy around!! When they played Hoffarber at the point the first game I said they would be lucky to win 2 more games and the NCAA is down the drain. Seems like I was right. With last nights loss they pretty much knocked themselves out of the top 25 and with that being said they have the biggest powderpuff schedule left in the Big 10. With this schedule they should easily win 20 games on the season which they will need to get into the NCAA--any bets it doesn't happen--Tubby teach them how to finish!!!!
Hawkshaw

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Feb 11, 2011
Phil wrote:
The Gophers are playing their way out of the NCAA field, and I would say that they are already on the outside looking in after this loss. The remaining schedule is manageable, but with how they are struggling right now every one of those games is in doubt. Hoffarber is out of his comfort zone as a PG, and it is negatively affecting his shooting percentage. Iverson was terrible last evening, Sampson had some production but was inconsistent as usual, and the young freshman look disoriented out there. It's going to take more than Blake and Trevor to win any remaining games.
That alternative tourney might be just what the freshmen need. In the NCAA it would be one and done; in the NIT they might get to play a couple of extra games, at least.
the real just another day

Hugo, MN

#12 Feb 11, 2011
Just another day in loserville....
griddy

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Feb 11, 2011
the real just another day wrote:
Just another day in loserville....
troll
The Loon

Lindstrom, MN

#14 Feb 11, 2011
Robbie wrote:
They should be practicing free throws at least an hour a day, it may even improve their shooting from the outside. As the announcers pointed out last night the Gophers are right there but cannot finish off a play. Why hasn't Sampson been in the weight room so he can take it to the hoop with authority instead of looking like a stringbean. Then you have Mbakway and Williams who make great moves but can't put the ball in the hoop as much as they should---slam the damned thing home don't **** around!! When they played Hoffarber at the point the first game I said they would be lucky to win 2 more games and the NCAA is down the drain. Seems like I was right. With last nights loss they pretty much knocked themselves out of the top 25 and with that being said they have the biggest powderpuff schedule left in the Big 10. With this schedule they should easily win 20 games on the season which they will need to get into the NCAA--any bets it doesn't happen--Tubby teach them how to finish!!!!
Yes, a good talking to will do the trick. Have you thought that perhaps they have been talked to a lot? Is it possible they have practiced free throw shooting a lot? I'm just guessing here, but I would guess they are having a real hard time playing Big Ten BB without a true ball handler. I would also guess they are going to have a hard time the rest of the season or until one of the freshman guards really improves. Our big guys are who they are and without two outside shooters and one point guard they are being asked to do what they are not good at doing.

The Big Ten in all sports is not a place you want to bring a team that has obvious, incurable weaknesses. Many Big Ten coaches and teams will eat a team alive if they know what you can not do. No point guard, one outside shooter and you might as well accept what is going to happen. Thanks a lot Devoe.
Phil

Hopkins, MN

#15 Feb 11, 2011
I wonder if Devoe Joseph has any regrets about his transfer, now that he would have been handed over the extra playing-time that he coveted.

The Big-Ten has been overrated this year; no truly awful teams however only two or three top-level groups (Ohio St., Wisconsin, Purdue) and then a few teams who are not living up to their billing, and the rest after that being mediocre or a year away. The Gophers would not be doing any better in the Pac-10 or SEC as it presently stands.
Claymathews52

Waconia, MN

#16 Feb 11, 2011
5-7 in the Big 10? Start making plans to attend the NIT!!!!!!! Go Badgers!!! MN sports just suck!
SoCalGuy

Hermosa Beach, CA

#17 Feb 11, 2011
UM simply sucks. At everything; Save face and leave the Big 10
frankie

Eden Prairie, MN

#18 Feb 12, 2011
griddy wrote:
<quoted text>troll
But right on
frankie

Eden Prairie, MN

#19 Feb 12, 2011
SoCalGuy wrote:
UM simply sucks. At everything; Save face and leave the Big 10
The Maturi dynasty continues-zero championship in football and basketball and now even hockey and womens' bb stink

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Minnesota NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Big Ten Football Review: The One Where The Gnom... (Sep '14) Sep '14 gophsupport 1
News Bigotry couldn't stop former Seminole Ernie Cook (Dec '07) Apr '14 Michaud Cook 18
News NFL Draft: Minnesota's Hageman is rare top draf... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Tom 1
News Sansevere's Huddle: Tubby hindered Gophers' Col... (Mar '10) Aug '13 Ellen 15
News Minnesota fires Tubby Smith; going after Shaka? (Mar '13) Mar '13 PB in St Paul 2
News IU's loss to Minnesota, Big 10 Title possibilit... (Mar '13) Mar '13 STEVE MINNICK 1
News Minnesota vs. Indiana: Start Time, Live Stream,... (Jan '13) Jan '13 mei 1
More from around the web