Colton Iverson, on leaving Gophers: '...

Colton Iverson, on leaving Gophers: 'I wish Gopher Nation the best of luck'

There are 46 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 26, 2011, titled Colton Iverson, on leaving Gophers: 'I wish Gopher Nation the best of luck'. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

University of Minnesota junior forward-center Colton Iverson said he has been granted a release from his scholarship and will transfer to another school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Chuck

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Mar 26, 2011
Who cares? He was a lousy no talent player at best. Plus his rap sheet was clean so he didn't fit into the rest of the gang - I mean team being molded by Tubby.
donl

Eden Prairie, MN

#2 Mar 26, 2011
Tubby- do the right thing and resign. Your AD will never fire you since he is incompetent. It is obvious KY fans were right about you.
Can Tubby PLEASE leave

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Mar 26, 2011
Tennessee... Mighty tempting! How about Missouri? Good stuff out there, Tubby -- could you take your retirement party somewhere else?
clem

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Mar 26, 2011
NOW its Time 4 Tubby to LEAVE as WELL.
seriouslytubbywt f

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Mar 26, 2011
what?
seriouslytubbywt f

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Mar 26, 2011
why are all these kids quitting on tubby? I wanna know the real story!
MO in CO

Boulder, CO

#7 Mar 26, 2011
Actually solves a problem. Iverson is a good kid, but was going to get even less playing time next year due to availability of Eliason and Walker. He will play in SD and do well at that level. Unfortunately, Samson will not get drafted--very little market for big men without passion who won't bang inside. Mbakwe is a border line 2nd rounder, so might go, but would be huge for the gophs next year if he returns. I don't think he likes academic life much, so could conceivably opt for Europe.
big10guy

Owatonna, MN

#8 Mar 26, 2011
Iverson would have seen his playing time limited next year and is better off transferring, although may have tough time finding a home for a one year gig at a D-II school. With his very limited offensive skills, he'll have tough time scoring at any level. I don't believe the rims get any bigger, do they???? Must admit that he always brought effort, if not skill, to every game which is more than can be said for the other "twin tower."
jimbo

Tucson, AZ

#9 Mar 26, 2011
Mr. Smith has to do a better job of recruiting talent to play at the big ten level. Why can't we recruit some of the premeir ball players from the East and West Coast? Arizona and Kansas can. Also both Colton and Ralph have not developed as big men. Jim Dutcher and his staff were able to develop big men. I think Jimmy Williams had a lot to do with that. I wish you nothing but the best Colton, however as a former coach, I think you are making a mistake in tranferring for your senior year. This leaves many with the impression that you are not a team player. On the other hand, I know all young men want to play as much as possible. One has to learn to accept their role.
Proactive

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Mar 26, 2011
Im fine with him leaving. I always felt like one of his nasty pimples was going to explode during a game. He should think of going to beauty school to clear up his pizza face.
Mitch Cumstein

Shakopee, MN

#11 Mar 26, 2011
Two words to solve the Gopher b-ball troubles...."Flip Saunders"
baltic

Casper, WY

#13 Mar 26, 2011
There likely will be several negative posts re: Iverson and his time at MN, but be reminded that anyone, even those who are labeled "prodigies", can only grow in skills with good teaching/coaching. I think that is the case with this young man -- he had the physical abilities to achieve but lacked good or/and interested coaching. Good luck to him in his new pursuits!
JNardo

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Mar 26, 2011
I wish Colton the best, I thought he was a solid and tough player down low, which Sampson certainly is not. Hopefully Walker can stay healthy, and add the missing toughness and beef they need down low.
Nailin Palin

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Mar 26, 2011
baltic wrote:
There likely will be several negative posts re: Iverson and his time at MN, but be reminded that anyone, even those who are labeled "prodigies", can only grow in skills with good teaching/coaching. I think that is the case with this young man -- he had the physical abilities to achieve but lacked good or/and interested coaching. Good luck to him in his new pursuits!
That is what I was thinking about. This guy could've been the next Labron James with the right coaching.
Nailin Palin

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Mar 26, 2011
Mitch Cumstein wrote:
Two words to solve the Gopher b-ball troubles...."Flip Saunders"
Why not just say Colton Iverson for head coach while your at it fool. Everyone knows that Flip has won multiple championships as a coach right fool.
Wisco Beef

Rock Island, IL

#17 Mar 26, 2011
Loser U, that's you!
Dacota

Winona, MN

#18 Mar 26, 2011
So long Tubby ...HOPEFULLY!!!
Johnny HmHmta

Bakersfield, CA

#19 Mar 27, 2011
This is addition by subtraction. More playing time for Mo.
Hawkshaw

United States

#20 Mar 27, 2011
Its evident that Tubby has his favorites and Iverson wasn't one of them! The only mistake Iverson made was not to transfer before the beginning of last year. Good luck Colton I hope you can regain the confidence you lost under Tubby.
Eric

Mankato, MN

#21 Mar 27, 2011
another overhyped player from SD. Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Minnesota NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Big Ten Football Review: The One Where The Gnom... (Sep '14) Sep '14 gophsupport 1
News Bigotry couldn't stop former Seminole Ernie Cook (Dec '07) Apr '14 Michaud Cook 18
News NFL Draft: Minnesota's Hageman is rare top draf... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Tom 1
News Sansevere's Huddle: Tubby hindered Gophers' Col... (Mar '10) Aug '13 Ellen 15
News Minnesota fires Tubby Smith; going after Shaka? (Mar '13) Mar '13 PB in St Paul 2
News IU's loss to Minnesota, Big 10 Title possibilit... (Mar '13) Mar '13 STEVE MINNICK 1
News Minnesota vs. Indiana: Start Time, Live Stream,... (Jan '13) Jan '13 mei 1
More from around the web