Rob Oller commentary: Plenty left to ...

Rob Oller commentary: Plenty left to decide in key month | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 10 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Nov 6, 2010, titled Rob Oller commentary: Plenty left to decide in key month | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

November marks the salt front of the college football season, that place in an ocean river estuary where the leading edge of briny sea water mixes with fresh water runoff.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Billy Bango Bongo

Newark, OH

#1 Nov 6, 2010
I am sorry but I really dont understand the constant bemoaning of the opening kickoff against Wisconsin. Sure, it was a big play in a big game.
It gave Da Badgers big mo on their home field with a fired up prime time crowd. However, there was a whole lot of snaps in the game still to come.
Da Bugeyes unfortunately were not up to the task on a lot of those snaps either. If the kickoff alone is the reason they lost, evidently they should have walked off the field after it, because all hope was lost. Laughable. If someone thinks that a 97 yd ko return is all that could keep OSU from playing for an NC potentially, that is delusional. No football game has ever been won or lost on one play. There are several key plays sure.
There are also countless plays where if you play the woulda coulda shouda card that a big play is negated by failure of execution that is often overlooked by most. Wisconsin beat OSU down play after play in the first half and when it counted in the 2nd. You know it. I know it. Enough of the woulda coulda shoulda, if only yakk.
Weak. You know it. I know it.

Billy Bango Bongo
MInotBlue

United States

#2 Nov 6, 2010
Pity, this team will win out and always be remembered as the team who quit on Wisconsin before the game. They will always carry the "they could have won the NC, but...," if only they had chosen to play against Wiscy in the game in Madison.

I have to agree with others here pointing out that the run back was not the defining point of the game. Good teams overcome adversity and great teams can come back in the second half to climb out of a big hole. OSU had the talent, they just lacked the will to execute.

We still can beat Mich-again and have a winning season! Go Bucks!
Stuck in the Stone Age

Atlanta, GA

#3 Nov 6, 2010
When we trip to Iowa City soon, Iowa will end any hopes of the Buckeyes for winning the conference title or playing in a BCS bowl. I don't think The Ohio State University football team is any good due a rather average passing quarterback who's injured and not able or willing to take full advantage of his running ability, a good but not great defense, and poor special teams play. The team is just not that good this year, which continues the downward trend that has happened under Tressell's lead since he ran out of Cooper and Conley recruits.

However, it will be interesting to see how the team responds the following week after such a letdown loss, as Michigan will surely be gunning for this game, with a win making their season, rewarding them with a bowl game, and keeping their coach from being fired.

“Bleeding Scarlet and Gray!”

Since: Sep 09

Worthington

#4 Nov 6, 2010
Stuck in the Stone Age wrote:
When we trip to Iowa City soon, Iowa will end any hopes of the Buckeyes for winning the conference title or playing in a BCS bowl. I don't think The Ohio State University football team is any good due a rather average passing quarterback who's injured and not able or willing to take full advantage of his running ability, a good but not great defense, and poor special teams play. The team is just not that good this year, which continues the downward trend that has happened under Tressell's lead since he ran out of Cooper and Conley recruits.
However, it will be interesting to see how the team responds the following week after such a letdown loss, as Michigan will surely be gunning for this game, with a win making their season, rewarding them with a bowl game, and keeping their coach from being fired.
You're a moron if you don't think the Bucks are any good after having one let down. That means Alabama is no good, Nebraska is no good, Oklahoma is no good, Missouri is no good, LSU is no good, Wisconsin is no good, MSU is no good, etc.
GATOR GARY

Tampa, FL

#5 Nov 6, 2010
FLABUCK wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a moron if you don't think the Bucks are any good after having one let down. That means Alabama is no good, Nebraska is no good, Oklahoma is no good, Missouri is no good, LSU is no good, Wisconsin is no good, MSU is no good, etc.
How good is OSU? Well based on that they have only played one very good team, Wisconsin and they got beat. The next three weeks they play an average PSU team (BAMA destroyed them), a good Iowa team and a below average Michigan team. Only Iowa will be a good indicator on how good this OSU team is. Then of course you have the Bowl Games. OSU's best case scenario would be to play an average PAC 10 team. They would win that game. I believe that if OSU would play either BAMA or AUBURN in the Sugar Bowl they would get crunched. There will be some great games in Novemebr. Enjoy them! College football season goes way to fast! GO GATORS!!! GO SEC!!!
GATOR GARY

Tampa, FL

#6 Nov 6, 2010
Stuck in the Stone Age wrote:
When your coach wears a sweater vest that basicaly shows you he is not up to the times. GO GATORS!!! GO SEC!!!

Worthington

#7 Nov 6, 2010
GATOR GARY wrote:
<quoted text> How good is OSU? Well based on that they have only played one very good team, Wisconsin and they got beat. The next three weeks they play an average PSU team (BAMA destroyed them), a good Iowa team and a below average Michigan team. Only Iowa will be a good indicator on how good this OSU team is. Then of course you have the Bowl Games. OSU's best case scenario would be to play an average PAC 10 team. They would win that game. I believe that if OSU would play either BAMA or AUBURN in the Sugar Bowl they would get crunched. There will be some great games in Novemebr. Enjoy them! College football season goes way to fast! GO GATORS!!! GO SEC!!!
'Bama didn't exactly destroy Penn State. They won by 3 TDs but PSU drove the ball all over 'Bama and if not for a couple interceptions and a fumble it would have been a totally different game. But I will agree that this is going to be one of the most exciting Novembers in recent history in college football!
Ron

Beverly Hills, CA

#8 Nov 6, 2010
"The Wolverines (5-3) play Illinois, at Purdue, Wisconsin and at Ohio State. I see at least three losses, possibly four...."

Yet again, U of M's wall-of-stone defense remained impervious to every offensive weapon hurled against it. No frenetic offensive hysteria in Ann Arbor. Thus, scratch the "possibly four" losses on RR's part. Is there a "Score till you bore Bowl"?
TNBuckeye

Murfreesboro, TN

#9 Nov 7, 2010
MInotBlue wrote:
Pity, this team will win out and always be remembered as the team who quit on Wisconsin before the game. They will always carry the "they could have won the NC, but...," if only they had chosen to play against Wiscy in the game in Madison.
I have to agree with others here pointing out that the run back was not the defining point of the game. Good teams overcome adversity and great teams can come back in the second half to climb out of a big hole. OSU had the talent, they just lacked the will to execute.
We still can beat Mich-again and have a winning season! Go Bucks!
Please explain why you use "they" in reference to the team that lost in Wisconsin, but "we" with the team that will win in Michigan??? You are either all in or out.

Worthington

#10 Nov 7, 2010
Ron wrote:
"The Wolverines (5-3) play Illinois, at Purdue, Wisconsin and at Ohio State. I see at least three losses, possibly four...."
Yet again, U of M's wall-of-stone defense remained impervious to every offensive weapon hurled against it. No frenetic offensive hysteria in Ann Arbor. Thus, scratch the "possibly four" losses on RR's part. Is there a "Score till you bore Bowl"?
I didn't even realize Michigan put a defense on the field. Oh, is that why there were guys with blue jerseys standing around watching the other team score?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Miami Hurricanes NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Worst ever? Pathetic Dolphins lose number 13 (Dec '07) Feb '17 Football Phart 28
Players (Nov '15) Nov '15 Running back 1
News Despite QB hype, FSU-Miami winner may rush to g... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Silverfox1951 3
News Um QB Brad Kaaya awaits first test against Fsu (Nov '14) Nov '14 Tiny Tim 1
News Allen Hurns making strides as Jaguars rookie re... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Laughing Bear Fan 2
News Miami football players JaWand Blue, Alexander F... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Go Blue Forever 1
News Kay on NFL: 'I think I will get a shot somewhere' (Jan '14) Jan '14 Chip Andrews 1
More from around the web