College football: Miami prospects fin...

College football: Miami prospects find time to deliver on their pro...

There are 37 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 23, 2010, titled College football: Miami prospects find time to deliver on their pro.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

When Arthur Brown, Vaughn Telemaque and LaRon Byrd arrived at the University of Miami in 2008, they were considered the three most ballyhooed out-of-state players in a Hurricanes recruiting class that was ranked No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Truth of JWMFIII

Falmouth, KY

#1 Jul 23, 2010
Jim Heacock's "WAIT AND REACT" defense will not work against this team.....Buckeyes will have to attack and confuse the Cane QB who is prone to make numerous mistakes....If he is not pressured Buckeyes will lose.
cowboy

Sarasota, FL

#2 Jul 23, 2010
thanks for reporting on canes players.. not, wait and react defense has put up some very impressive performances through the years, canes i believe have 2 ol returning with experience, i like our chances of putting pressure on harris

“Defecting to Mexico”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#3 Jul 23, 2010
Miami's receivers won't be getting "perfect practice" passes because Jacory Harris will be laying under Cam Heyward, John Simon, Todd Denlinger, Dexter Larimore, and Nate Williams most of the time. OSU has too much speed on defense for Miamai. Their below average receivers can't hang with Chekwa, Torrence, and Hines. Harris is a very good QB but prone to picks. OSU will get at least 2 off of him.
Brutus

Monclova, OH

#4 Jul 23, 2010
GO BUCKEYES!!! BEAT MIAMI again. Why isn't this a night game?
Tim from memphis

Memphis, TN

#5 Jul 23, 2010
Come get some Canes!
Tim from memphis

Memphis, TN

#6 Jul 23, 2010
GO BUCKEYES!!! BEAT MIAMI again. Why isn't this a night game?-----They said that they did not make it a night game because of issues they had last year after that heartbreaking loss to the Trojans. And to Net Guru, can't forget about the boys in the middle. Our line-backing core is nasty. With Ross Homan recording over 100 tackles and 5 interceptions in 2009, Brian Rolle and his ability to disrupt routes in the middle (who can forget his interception on Navys 2pt conversion last season!) and Etienne Sabino who brings the wood to anyone unfortunate enough to cross his path, the Buckeyes are solid on D!!!! Even with losing Coleman, we get Tyler Moelller back this season who is really a linebacker playing safety. In addition to Moeller the return of Chekwa and Torrence will be crucial to the Defense's success. My biggest concern this season is on special teams where Westerville's Ben Buchanan will probably take the starting Punter job and Devin Barclay at Kicker. All be it, Buchanan stepped up last year when Pettry got hurt and Barclay can thread the needle but needs to work on his leg strength. I'm not too worried though, it is Tressel ball and JT is notorious for his emphasis on solid special team play. All in all I am sooooo ready for baseball to be over and am counting down the days until Sept. 11!

“Defecting to Mexico”

Location hidden

#7 Jul 23, 2010
Tim from memphis wrote:
GO BUCKEYES!!! BEAT MIAMI again. Why isn't this a night game?-----They said that they did not make it a night game because of issues they had last year after that heartbreaking loss to the Trojans. And to Net Guru, can't forget about the boys in the middle. Our line-backing core is nasty. With Ross Homan recording over 100 tackles and 5 interceptions in 2009, Brian Rolle and his ability to disrupt routes in the middle (who can forget his interception on Navys 2pt conversion last season!) and Etienne Sabino who brings the wood to anyone unfortunate enough to cross his path, the Buckeyes are solid on D!!!! Even with losing Coleman, we get Tyler Moelller back this season who is really a linebacker playing safety. In addition to Moeller the return of Chekwa and Torrence will be crucial to the Defense's success. My biggest concern this season is on special teams where Westerville's Ben Buchanan will probably take the starting Punter job and Devin Barclay at Kicker. All be it, Buchanan stepped up last year when Pettry got hurt and Barclay can thread the needle but needs to work on his leg strength. I'm not too worried though, it is Tressel ball and JT is notorious for his emphasis on solid special team play. All in all I am sooooo ready for baseball to be over and am counting down the days until Sept. 11!
I'm ready also. I'm not sold on Sabino yet and Moeller has to prove he's healthy. I do like what I've seen from Storm Kline. He looks like a kid that just makes plays (AJ Hawk type) The D line is nasty and deep. I LOVE the secondary, Chekwa is one of the best in the country. No depth on the OLine, receivers, or at QB is a little scary. 4 backs could start and I wouldn't complain. Tons of talent there. Don't forget Boren at FB. He's an animal. I just pray that this is the year the TE gets some touches because Stoneburner has superstar written all over him.
john

Mentor, OH

#8 Jul 23, 2010
I hope the Miami defensive backs take lots of "chances" against the buckeyes. I hope they never worry about giving up the deep ball. I hope they jump the short routes all day. GO BUCKS.
SVC

Toledo, OH

#9 Jul 23, 2010
Randy Shannon is doing a heck of a job down there. He's got the Old School Miami swagger, but he's taken away the bad behavior that used to come with it.

It's a work in progress but I like the passion and enerrgy I see out of that team. Tressel had better be ready to approach that Miami game like it's the only game of the season because Shannon's definitely got that date circled on his schedule. He knows that beating the Buckeyes will put his 'Canes on the map for the rest of the year.

Tressel's teams have a tendency to start slow and build momentum. If that's the case this year Miami will win. Those boys will be ready to play.
MIAMI MARK

Tampa, FL

#10 Jul 23, 2010
AS long as RANDY SHANNON is the coach of the CANES, the Buckeyes and the rest of college football have nothing to worry about. He is a lousy coach. The CANES are a sleeping giant that need a good motivating, win at all costs type coach. The Buckeyes have a very good coach in Tressell. He proved himself in 2002 when he out-coached Larry Coker (he should have been fired after the loss). If Tressell would have been coaching the CANES that day Miami wins 42-14. Come Sept 11, you will embarrass the CANES (35-10). It is amazing how many OSU fans critize Tressell. Us CANE fans would take him in a second. We would, though take him to South Beach and get him some new threads. The VEST would not be tolerated in Miami. He would definetly get arrested by the Miami Fashion Police.
MIAMI MARK

Tampa, FL

#11 Jul 23, 2010
SVC wrote:
Randy Shannon is doing a heck of a job down there. He's got the Old School Miami swagger, but he's taken away the bad behavior that used to come with it.
It's a work in progress but I like the passion and enerrgy I see out of that team. Tressel had better be ready to approach that Miami game like it's the only game of the season because Shannon's definitely got that date circled on his schedule. He knows that beating the Buckeyes will put his 'Canes on the map for the rest of the year.
Tressel's teams have a tendency to start slow and build momentum. If that's the case this year Miami will win. Those boys will be ready to play.
You are wrong... COACH SHANNON HAS NO SWAGGER... Just watch him on the Miami Sideline on Sept. 11. He will show no emotion. He has taken the "THUG" heart out of the CANES and the "THUG image is what won us 5 National Championships.

“Bleeding Scarlet and Gray!”

Worthington

#12 Jul 23, 2010
MIAMI MARK wrote:
AS long as RANDY SHANNON is the coach of the CANES, the Buckeyes and the rest of college football have nothing to worry about. He is a lousy coach. The CANES are a sleeping giant that need a good motivating, win at all costs type coach. The Buckeyes have a very good coach in Tressell. He proved himself in 2002 when he out-coached Larry Coker (he should have been fired after the loss). If Tressell would have been coaching the CANES that day Miami wins 42-14. Come Sept 11, you will embarrass the CANES (35-10). It is amazing how many OSU fans critize Tressell. Us CANE fans would take him in a second. We would, though take him to South Beach and get him some new threads. The VEST would not be tolerated in Miami. He would definetly get arrested by the Miami Fashion Police.
Either you aren't Gary Gayturd in disguise as I originally thought or this is all sarcastic. I know this Byrd kid can do some damage, our secondary is going to have to step it up against him.

Since: Oct 09

Akron, OH

#13 Jul 23, 2010
Net Guru wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm ready also. I'm not sold on Sabino yet and Moeller has to prove he's healthy. I do like what I've seen from Storm Kline. He looks like a kid that just makes plays (AJ Hawk type) The D line is nasty and deep. I LOVE the secondary, Chekwa is one of the best in the country. No depth on the OLine, receivers, or at QB is a little scary. 4 backs could start and I wouldn't complain. Tons of talent there. Don't forget Boren at FB. He's an animal. I just pray that this is the year the TE gets some touches because Stoneburner has superstar written all over him.
Man you are getting me all excited for some Buckeye Football... I got to go watch the 2002 NC game or the Rose Bowl game when I get home from work.

Go Bucks.... Beat Michigan!! And Miami!!!!
Brutus

Monclova, OH

#14 Jul 23, 2010
SVC wrote:
Every team that OSU plays has us marked on the calendar and know that beating Ohio State will be a big feather in their cap. The buckeyes will prepare for Miami the same way they prepare for any other team.
Tim from memphis

Memphis, TN

#15 Jul 23, 2010
Net Guru wrote:
<quoted text>
The only argument I have is that your strongly underestimating the O-line. The combination of Justin Boren at the LG,(Not FB) Bryant Browning at RG, Mike Adams at LT, J.B. Shugarts at RT and Mike Brewster in the middle (Preseason favorite to be best C in the nation and Mel Kipers 1st projected C in the 2011 draft) OSU brings a big, powerful, and experienced O-line to the field in 2010. Now because we don't have much depth at any of those positions these 5 will need to stay healthy so JT can open up the playbook for TP and give him some time to make smart plays down field. I also think that we are more than OK at the QB spot if GOD FORBID anything happens to TP. Bauserman is second in line for now and hasn't had any real game time experience to showcase his ability but how could you not be encouraged by Kenny Guiton? Guiton had a great spring game and will take the reigns after Pryor's gone. Either way I love our squad this season. Remind anyone of the 2010 team??? Remember, everyone questioned Troy Smith his Soph year until he finished the regular season with impressive numbers and then had that great performance in the bowl win. The following season Smith won the Heisman and we won the National Championship. REPEAT!!!
SVC

Toledo, OH

#16 Jul 23, 2010
Tim from memphis wrote:
<quoted text>
The only argument I have is that your strongly underestimating the O-line. The combination of Justin Boren at the LG,(Not FB) Bryant Browning at RG, Mike Adams at LT, J.B. Shugarts at RT and Mike Brewster in the middle (Preseason favorite to be best C in the nation and Mel Kipers 1st projected C in the 2011 draft) OSU brings a big, powerful, and experienced O-line to the field in 2010. Now because we don't have much depth at any of those positions these 5 will need to stay healthy so JT can open up the playbook for TP and give him some time to make smart plays down field. I also think that we are more than OK at the QB spot if GOD FORBID anything happens to TP. Bauserman is second in line for now and hasn't had any real game time experience to showcase his ability but how could you not be encouraged by Kenny Guiton? Guiton had a great spring game and will take the reigns after Pryor's gone. Either way I love our squad this season. Remind anyone of the 2010 team??? Remember, everyone questioned Troy Smith his Soph year until he finished the regular season with impressive numbers and then had that great performance in the bowl win. The following season Smith won the Heisman and we won the National Championship. REPEAT!!!
The biggest difference between Troy Smith and Terrelle Pryor is that Troy always had a fantastic arm. He could throw on a dead run or out of three, five and seven step drops. A big part of his transition was just developing the timing. It also helped that Tressel and Bollman finally tweaked the offense for somebody who wasn't Zwick.

Pryor came to Ohio State with bad mechanics and an anverage attitude. He clearly didn't put in the work between his freshman and sophomore seasons. His numbers were OK, but not impressive and his Rose Bowl performance was solid but if we're being honest with ourselves it should be the standard to wich he plays on a regular basis. If he builds on that game and plays like that every week, I'll hop on his bandwagon. I still think that when he finishes his career we'll look back and say he was a waste of talent.
BuckinFla

AOL

#17 Jul 23, 2010
If OSU plays Miami like they did Navy last year it's going to be a long day for the Bucks....
Mario

Mentor, OH

#18 Jul 23, 2010
This is the deepest team that Jim Tressel has ever had.
Trs

Astoria, NY

#19 Jul 23, 2010
And Seantrel Henderson will be in the shoe, although as a Hurricane and not a Buckeye. His arrogant father will be right next to him demanding special treatment like only USC and Miami could agree to.
Punt on 2nd down

United States

#20 Jul 23, 2010
This Miami team has talent. I sware people arent giving them the respect they deserve. This is a bigger game than people believe, this is not a down program anymore. I promise you that this team has way more talent on the roster than the Oregon Duck team we played in the Rose Bowl.

They still may not believe in the team concept, like a city league team in high school football, but they have the talent. It will be a big win if we pull this one out, luckily its at home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Miami Hurricanes NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Players (Nov '15) Nov '15 Running back 1
News Despite QB hype, FSU-Miami winner may rush to g... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Silverfox1951 3
News Um QB Brad Kaaya awaits first test against Fsu (Nov '14) Nov '14 Tiny Tim 1
News Allen Hurns making strides as Jaguars rookie re... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Laughing Bear Fan 2
News Miami football players JaWand Blue, Alexander F... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Go Blue Forever 1
News Kay on NFL: 'I think I will get a shot somewhere' (Jan '14) Jan '14 Chip Andrews 1
News Miami Football: Time for the Canes to Get Ryan ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Jimmysegal 2
More from around the web