Miners take dominant lead into half o...

Miners take dominant lead into half over Memphis in C-USA basketball showdown

There are 50 comments on the El Paso Times story from Feb 26, 2011, titled Miners take dominant lead into half over Memphis in C-USA basketball showdown. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

UTEP's Gabe McCulley, right, and Memphis Tarik Black battle for a loose ball during the first half Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
FEDUP

El Paso, TX

#41 Feb 27, 2011
Can you imagine the possibilities if UTEP were to play with all that emotion, intensity and tenacity, as they did yesterday against Memphis, when they played all other C-USA teams? The Miners finally saw the urgency to play to win and they finally did! Way to go Miners! Keep up it up!
If UTEP plays the rest of their games with that same grit, and determination, they will be dancing in March!
The conference USA tourney is UTEP's to lose!
FEDUP

El Paso, TX

#42 Feb 27, 2011
Rebecca, this is the kind of true sportsmanship that is sorely missing! You are are true lady and fan!
Now if only all the other ignoramuses would follow your lead!
I'm as guilty as the next fellow of allowing my emotions get the better of me and acting like a jackass!
You are to be congratulated, admired, and emulated!
Thank you for posting such a positive comment!
You realize that your team was outplayed by the better team yesterday!
Good luck to Memphis the rest of the year!
Yesterday just wasn't their day!
MinerManiac in SA

San Antonio, TX

#43 Feb 27, 2011
If UTEP had not lost those 2 games this week, UTEP would have a 23-6 record. Not good enough for a top 25 ranking. UTEP has had a record that was as good and in many cases better than that of some teams listed in the top 25. One can argue the SOS, RPI, etc, but the truth of the matter is, Coach Haskins was ABSOFUCKINLUTELY RIGHT. The NCAA is ALL ABOUT $$$$$ and does not want teams from the west competing against those from the east. The most recent AP Top 25 poll has 18 teams from EAST of the Mississippi River ranked and only 7 from the west.

Keep an eye on selection sunday. Even with the field expanded to 68 teams, I bet less than 22 will be invited. That includes the automatic bids. I agree with what many are saying. UTEP's only chance of getting invited to the NCAA Tournament is if it wins the CUSA Tournament and receive the automatic win.

GOOD LUCK MINERS!!!!!
yeap

AOL

#44 Feb 27, 2011
Brilliant game plan by Coach Floyd and staff .it was Haskins like defense, and lights out offense !! very happy for Stone,ChiliCulppeper,williams, polk,Gabe,Ike and Britten.FINALLY The rest of the Nation had a chance to see this outstanding young men and their never quit work ethic !! we will miss you and thanks for the great memories !! GO MINERS !!
The one and only Bubba

El Paso, TX

#45 Feb 27, 2011
MinerManiac in SA wrote:
If UTEP had not lost those 2 games this week, UTEP would have a 23-6 record. Not good enough for a top 25 ranking. UTEP has had a record that was as good and in many cases better than that of some teams listed in the top 25. One can argue the SOS, RPI, etc, but the truth of the matter is, Coach Haskins was ABSOFUCKINLUTELY RIGHT. The NCAA is ALL ABOUT $$$$$ and does not want teams from the west competing against those from the east. The most recent AP Top 25 poll has 18 teams from EAST of the Mississippi River ranked and only 7 from the west.
Keep an eye on selection sunday. Even with the field expanded to 68 teams, I bet less than 22 will be invited. That includes the automatic bids. I agree with what many are saying. UTEP's only chance of getting invited to the NCAA Tournament is if it wins the CUSA Tournament and receive the automatic win.
GOOD LUCK MINERS!!!!!
I am a Miner fan but in your first sentance you say "If UTEP had not lost those 2 games this week". If I am not mistaken both those teams are east of the Mississippi.
Pearland dave

Houston, TX

#46 Feb 27, 2011
Had to DVR the game and just got a chance to see the ESPN game in the Haskins Center. This was a game delight for any Miner fan. Wish I could've been right there, in person to witness true Miner-Mania basketball. The defense was phenomenal and the Miners worked for good shots. Culpepper sparked the fire! UTEP clearly had the Tigers demoralized and beaten. I was hoping that the Miners would break into a storm frenzy after the two losses and the crazy officiating on the road. Miners, keep it up. We know you can do it. Love having coach Floyd at UTEP.
san anto

San Antonio, TX

#47 Feb 27, 2011
Go miners!
Amigo Man

Heerlen, Netherlands

#48 Feb 27, 2011
Seriously? We can't sell out the Don in this situation?

The marketing director needs to go...and EP as a whole has no right to complain about sports at UTEP being mediocre!!
Amigo Man

Heerlen, Netherlands

#49 Feb 27, 2011
MinerManiac in SA wrote:
GOOD LUCK MINERS!!!!!
Sorry, but UTEP has not been consistent enough to be considered a good team worthy of a ranking. This is the FIRST game they won against a true quality team all year.
George in H Town

Grand Rapids, MI

#50 Feb 28, 2011
Miners are in if they win the conference tournament. Otherwise it is the NIT - maybe. Conference will only get two - whoever wins the tournament, and probably Memphis depending on what they do in the tourney. Too many bubble teams in too many conferences. C-USA is good, if unknown. Miners RPI hurts them, Memphis win helps Miners but not enough. And remember, Memphis is the 2nd youngest team in the country. Miners are one of the oldest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Memphis NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News IU ranked 13th, Butler 16th (Dec '07) Feb '16 Fart news 89
News First night a hit for 'Tonight' host Jimmy Fallon (Feb '14) Feb '14 Marcavage s Trick 8
News Charges possible for toppled ancient Utah rock (Oct '13) Oct '13 PEE PEE PETE 10
News NCAA Basketball Recruiting: Predicting Which 20... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Preston Hubbard 1
News NFL Draft: Can Ronald Leary Tempt Dallas Cowboy... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Always the Star 1
News Memphis Tigers off target on 3-point tries, sho... (Dec '12) Dec '12 RDL 1
News Marshall football: Herd resilient, continues to... (Nov '12) Nov '12 amy 1
More from around the web