Red Wolves will do just fine at ASU

Red Wolves will do just fine at ASU

There are 5 comments on the Pine Bluff Commercial story from Feb 4, 2008, titled Red Wolves will do just fine at ASU. In it, Pine Bluff Commercial reports that:

On Wednesday afternoon, the name Wolves was recommended as the new Arkansas State University mascot, which would replace the current name of Indians. via Pine Bluff Commercial

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pine Bluff Commercial.

Don Toombs

Lake Charles, LA

#1 Feb 12, 2008
Typical ASU B.S.!!!!! The mighty and the few rule everything about ASU. Its been that way since I started to college there in 1955, and it's the reason why ASU doesn't grow and develope tradition, alumni support, and a sense of belonging to a university community that other prominate university's have--(hogs, Rebels, Tigers, Tide, etc.
Jim Fisher

Jonesboro, AR

#2 Feb 12, 2008
Red Wolves is a great mascot. Much better than the Ridgerunners or Express in my opinion. ASU doesn't have time for whiners like yourself. Worry about a "prominent" team like the swine or rebels.

“Go stAte Go!”

Since: Oct 07

Jonesboro

#3 Feb 18, 2008
While I am willing to admit I see ASU let the "mighty and few" rule some, in this situation it did not. Red Wolves was the only name that was on all 9 constituent groups lists. It was the most popular name among the students and alumni. It was most popular among the ASU Staff and Faculty. It was the top name from the athletes and the Indian Club. If the "few and mighty" continue to be these lists of people, then I am happy to let them rule!
Gary Dale Cearley

Bangkok, Thailand

#4 Apr 29, 2008
I am not saying whether I liked the Red Wolves or not during the process of choosing the new name but I am happy in the end that this will be the new name. Why? Very simple! Indians is very generic as a mascot name. There are no other Red Wolves team in the NCAA and with the notable exceptions of NC State and the University of Washington not many other schools would have similar names. So I am happy with the final out come. Let's see them build a winning tradition from this!
David Henderson

New Port Richey, FL

#5 Aug 21, 2008
I am a 1979 graduate of ASU. This new name will work fine for ASU but the reasoning behind the change is ridiculous. Growing up in Arkansas in grade school I was a WARRIOR, in Junior High I was a PAPOOSE and in high school I was a CHICKASAW. All of these names rferred to our Indian heritage and the great traditions of Arkansas. as many of you know this is not somethings that is debated among professional teams...like Atlanta BRAVES, Cleveland INDIANS, etc. The debate is ridiculous because the name was always used to honor our heritage, not to dishonor it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Memphis Tigers NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charges possible for toppled ancient Utah rock (Oct '13) Oct '13 PEE PEE PETE 10
News NFL Draft: Can Ronald Leary Tempt Dallas Cowboy... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Always the Star 1
News Marshall football: Herd resilient, continues to... (Nov '12) Nov '12 amy 1
News Stephen Morris X-Rays negative, Ryan Williams m... (Oct '12) Oct '12 canes4life 5
News At least 1 dead in South Africa boat accident (Oct '12) Oct '12 Anna 1
News What You Need to Know About Miami Hurricanes QB... (Aug '12) Aug '12 canes 4 life 1
News Robert Poe kept younger brother Dontari off wro... (Jun '12) Jun '12 KKKafeteria KKKri... 1
More from around the web