Time's up if UCF doesn't beat Tulsa

Time's up if UCF doesn't beat Tulsa

There are 32 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 19, 2007, titled Time's up if UCF doesn't beat Tulsa. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

There's an old country song -- Tulsa Time -- done by Don Williams and remade later by guitar legend Eric Clapton.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Go UCF-- and Fire OLeary

Orlando, FL

#1 Oct 19, 2007
O'Leary is already known as O'Dreary. I hope those Syracuse rumers are true. He's a waste of money and a HORRIBLE coach.
UCF07

Lake Worth, FL

#2 Oct 19, 2007
Thanks for the pep talk Bianchi...nice hometown paper.
G-Man

United States

#3 Oct 19, 2007
Maybe it's time for O'Leary to prepare his resume for his next coaching gig. This time, he might want to indicate that the coached at USF instead of UCF.
Frustrated UCF Fan

Sunnyvale, CA

#4 Oct 19, 2007
How can you rail on Bianchi? He's right.

As an alum and booster, I'm wondering why I should continue to pull out my checkbook to support this? We've ponied up for all new facilities, a new stadium, etc. etc. When O'Leary got here, he said he had a 5 yr plan (which was curiously the lenght of his initial contract). Well, we're in year 4. Where's the consistancy? Virtually, if no all, of Kruz's guys are gone. Shouldn't we have the right to expect more. They are no better than they were when Kruz was here.

In the last 6 quarters of play, we've been out scored 99-22. ECU was good, but come on? And after last night, USF was exposed - good Lord, the Owls played them better than we did.

If I see yet another pathetic outing, my checkbook will be staying put...or I'll start earmarking it for the Cheerleaders. At least they win stuff.
Reality Check

Jupiter, FL

#5 Oct 19, 2007
The UCF situation is a disaster. Oleary is a horrible coach, but he's protected by a multimillion dollar, guaranteed contract. He's also free to hire his cronies to pricy contracts, and give scholarships to son's of personal friends. All he can say after another disgraceful performance is, "the mistakes are all correctable". Well, George, they never are, are they? Isn't that what the coaches are paid to do? But I'm afraid he'll be there until hell freezes over, because Pres. Hitt can't afford back-to-back, multimillion dollar wastes of money buying out long term contracts he approved for football coaches. What a disgusting situation.
AAAARRRRGGHH

Winter Haven, FL

#6 Oct 19, 2007
Reality Check wrote:
All he can say after another disgraceful performance is, "the mistakes are all correctable".
Gator fans heard that same line from Ron Zook for 3 years. Luckily we don't have to listen to that garbage anymore.
Reality Check

Jupiter, FL

#7 Oct 19, 2007
I have to admit, Mike, you are so right. This is a program on a horrible downward spiral, and I don't see any end in sight. They are being left in the dust by USF and now even FAU (compare the performances against USF!). Oleary is a dinosaur. His style is 1950's, and it shows in his record and his recruiting. A careful look at his history shows that his only real success as a head coach came when Ralph Fridgen was his offensive coordinator at GaTech. I predicted he'd go 4-8 this year, but I was wrong. It looks like he'll go 5-7. Who could have known NC State was so bad?
Knight4Ever

San Antonio, TX

#8 Oct 19, 2007
Mike,

You and a handful of radicals are bailing on O'Leary. You contradict yourself by saying O'Leary is in serious danger of losing fans when after two terrible effort, the Knights are coming home to a sellout! If you look at our loses over the past two weeks...it's not O'Leary...he didn't turn the ball over 5 times in the third quarter against ECU. As for the USF game I did not see it so I can't comment, but your negativity is unbelievable... I know you play the bad guy but give it a rest pal.... we just want to enjoy some football and not have to listen to your rantings.... to think you get paid to spew this crap.
turnabll

Palm Bay, FL

#9 Oct 19, 2007
You whiners will all be back tomorrow after UCF beats Tulsa, at least you're not having to watch Marshall week in and week out. Bianchi is a verified douche!
Dan

Altamonte Springs, FL

#10 Oct 19, 2007
You should support UCF because you are Alum and that is what people do when they support "their" team... duh
Tony

Tallahassee, FL

#11 Oct 19, 2007
People like you guys are the reason why UCF will never have the fan support needed to make a splash on the national level. Two bad games and thats it, all hope is lost! Downward spiral? They are 3-3, not 0-6. A few weeks ago everyone here was talking about how great they were. Is there a chance maybe everyone over-reacted and expectations rose too quickly. Do you know how hard it is to turn a team into a national contender? Just because USF did it so quickly doesn't mean its easy. I'd hate to see what you guys are like in real life. A couple of bad days and thats it, time to go jump off a bridge. O'Leary may not be Bobby Bowden, but this program is in much better shape now than it was when he took over, whether you want to admit it or not. We are not even through a full season at BHN stadium yet. I hope more UCF fans don't share the pessimistic outlook that you guys do.
G-Man

United States

#12 Oct 19, 2007
A lot of people are quick to point out that the reason USF is on the faster path to success than UCF is b.c. USF is in the Big East while UCF is in Conf USA. USF made a great hire in an assistant coach from a Kansas State staff that was developed into a Top 25 program by Snyder. That same staff also included Bob Stoops. USF got a better coach than UCF got in George O'Leary. O'Leary probably padded his resume to get the UCF head coaching job.
punk0mi

United States

#13 Oct 19, 2007
I as a student I am supportive of this team and its coaching staff. But in the back of my head, I won't deny there is a little voice screaming:

TERRY BOWDEN FOR UCF HEAD COACH!
UCFAlways

Atlanta, GA

#14 Oct 19, 2007
Let's finish the season first...then talk. Six games to go...but Bianchi is right...it starts tomorrow!! It's do or die for UCF!! We must beat Tulsa and USM...then come home to a another sold out game for Homecoming!!
James

Orlando, FL

#15 Oct 19, 2007
The Alumni and fans are doing their part. It is about time for us to see some results on the field. If O'Leary does not have it any more then he needs to step down and play golf for the rest of his life.
Frustrated UCF Fan

Sunnyvale, CA

#16 Oct 19, 2007
Tony wrote:
People like you guys are the reason why UCF will never have the fan support needed to make a splash on the national level. Two bad games and thats it, all hope is lost! Downward spiral? They are 3-3, not 0-6.
2 games? How about 4 years of mediorcity? Where on the field of play is UCF any better under O'Leary than they were under Kruz? Are players being developed? Is Isreal really any better today than he was as a freshman? Whose fault is that?

At least with Coach K, the offense was fun to watch. Do we even have 5 receivers capable of taking the field at once?

While its fun to be on the board discussing this, at the end of the day it's a moot point. We can't afford to dump him. And, he isn't going anywhere - why would he give up a shure fire 7 figure paycheck and who would want him with his recent resume (no pun intended)?

Since: Sep 07

Indialantic, FL

#17 Oct 19, 2007
Good grief. This team will finish with, at a minimum, 6 wins and be bowl eligible. We're likely to win 7 games and if we're lucky 8.

We had 4 wins last year with a more favorable schedule. The team, the program, and the fan base has all made drastic improvements. Be patient.
Time to Win

Orlando, FL

#18 Oct 19, 2007
It is time to win. Bianchi is right. Halfway through year 4 is long enough. No more excuses. No more "the mistakes are all correctable"--Correct them!! Quit putting your talent-short QB in situations that lead to turnovers. The defense gets demoralized when they have to try to pick up the pieces from yet another turnover or miscue on offense.

If they can get a sponsor to pony up $15M for naming rights, I think they should be able to raise the cash to buy out O'Leary if this doesn't get turned around soon. This would be an attractive job for a lot of big name coaches. Time for O'Leary and staff to prove this wasn't a mistake.
FromGOLApologist

United States

#19 Oct 19, 2007
I like the academics that GOL emphasizes but crap he has ZERO warmth. The HS coaches in CFL hate him (They are just as much at fault but thatís beside the point) I donít know if coaches by fear bc Moffett last year hated GOL. GOL better start walking the line bc he has zero room for error in my book. He recruits good kids but they canít tackle or have ZERO heart. I hate USFs coach bc he does not care weather they grad but he has his guys fired up. I just hope some rich team can buy UCF out of crappy contract bc GOL best days are behind him. Sadly he still is prob the best UCF can get but that only speaks volumes of how crappy our program is.
FromGOLApologist

United States

#20 Oct 19, 2007
SORRY additional soapbox item. UCF MUST fire Salem and Godsey. One can't call a decent passing attack and another can't develop a decent QB.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Memphis Tigers NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charges possible for toppled ancient Utah rock (Oct '13) Oct '13 PEE PEE PETE 10
News NFL Draft: Can Ronald Leary Tempt Dallas Cowboy... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Always the Star 1
News Marshall football: Herd resilient, continues to... (Nov '12) Nov '12 amy 1
News Stephen Morris X-Rays negative, Ryan Williams m... (Oct '12) Oct '12 canes4life 5
News At least 1 dead in South Africa boat accident (Oct '12) Oct '12 Anna 1
News What You Need to Know About Miami Hurricanes QB... (Aug '12) Aug '12 canes 4 life 1
News Robert Poe kept younger brother Dontari off wro... (Jun '12) Jun '12 KKKafeteria KKKri... 1
More from around the web