Lions' recruiting march again cuts deep into Md.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.
#1 Jul 8, 2008
I agree with Mr. Lovelace, getting Austin and Jenkins would make or break this recruiting class. We could really use both of these guys and getting them and keeping them from heading elsewhere would put us on the recruiting map, so to speak. These types of guys are who we brought OC and recruiting "stud" James Franklin here to land. Let's see if he can deliver. If not it is just the same old second rate stuff most Terps fans have spent a lifetime getting used to dealing.
#2 Jul 8, 2008
"In 2006, the Nittany Lions had what was perceived an excellent class, signing standout Maryland recruits in McDonough's A.J. Wallace, Mount Hebron's Aaron Maybin, Suitland's Navarro Bowman, Forestville's Antonio Logan-El, Gwynn Park's Phillip Taylor and Quince Orchard's Bani Gbadyu. That class has not performed as expected. Bowman, Logan-El and Taylor are no longer with the team, and the others have not played up to their potential."
Research my friend!
Logan-El quit the team. Taylor and Bowman had temporary suspensions. Bowman is back on the team now and Taylor will be once the summer semester ends.
Wallace is a starter. Taylor has started. Gbadyu will start this year. Bowman and Maybin will be starters by the time they leave.
That group has had more than its share of off-the-field issues, but other than Logan-El, all have done just fine on the field.
#3 Jul 8, 2008
Let all those loseres just gooooooo.
#4 Jul 8, 2008
Big Picture Reality Check-- PSU has successfully recruited MD going back to Rip Engle (yes, there WAS a State Head Coach pre-Joe Paterno) in the early 60's and the only time, ironically, MD has beaten (at least on the scoreboard) State (MD lead to victory by a PA native QB, no less).. One of the few notable early MD recruiting successes was in 1973, when Ft. Hill High (Cumberland) QB Mark Mangas famously declared in signing with UM he would "rather lead the Maryland team which beats State than just play on another State team beating Maryland". Well, it didn't happen. He did get on the cover of SI and made first team All-ACC, a rare feat in days ACC was short for "All-Carolina Conference". Absent the broken hand in the 3rd game his senior season, had a legitmate shot at the Heisman.
Best speech I ever heard on the subject was delivered in the Memorial Stadium home locker room by the then UM Defensive Coordinator and PA native (who played D-back at NC State)- "And to all you guys from PA, I don't want to hear that crap-- face it, if you guys were good enough out of high school you would be over in the other locker room right now wearing those damn ugly white uniforms."
Outcome: Terps play an incredibly focused game,keeping their emotions in check yet playing with intensity, use a shadow linebacker scheme to slow down the PSU running game (stopping State three times inside the 20 yard line in the first half), playing smart offensive, protecting the ball and not making the typical dumb turnover/bad decision trying to convert a hero play, and tie State 13-13, driving 57 yards in 11 plays and Dan DeArmas kicking a clutch FG to tie it with 58 seconds left, State failing on its final drive to do anything. The Maryland kids really felt they would get the ball back and win. So did the UM staff. Thanks to UM Head Coach (and yes, PA native) Joe Krivak, for leading a UM team against State which wasn't allowed to beat itself, just this one time against State, back in 1989. Penn State kids after the game simply shocked they didn't win, and the MD kids and staff too exhausted to enjoy it, much less believe it.
Yes-- having the horses via the recruiting trail key, but give me a bunch of kids like that Maryland squad
in 1989 and a coaching staff like that one any time, any place, and I will happily take on the Mighty Nittany Lions. If only that truly loathsome Brit Kirwan, son of a football head coach, no less, hadn't sacked Joe Krivak from the blind side at the end of the 1991 Season. Who knows where the UM program might be today?
Yes, it's "Terpman", and no, I ain't comin' back :-) Good luck Ralph, and continue to watch your backside with the AD and the Administration. Snakes sadly seem to remain in the College Park tall grass, judging by the recent experience of Coach Williams with the AD when it comes to basketball recruiting?
#5 Jul 8, 2008
Maryland football will continue to be horrible until Ralph leaves. There camps are poor and their recruiting methods are a joke. All of the high school players think they are a second/third tier program. Even Delaware has facilities that surpass UMD.
#6 Jul 8, 2008
yeah Dwill has had a banner career at State Penn. Last years recruits are really tearing it up on the field. That's right 3 dropped out. Not the type of players we want at Maryland,even if they live here!
#7 Jul 8, 2008
Ralph signed a huge ten year contract and has coasted ever since,,,,,,,,,,he did real well with the kids from prior coaches then he petered out with his own kids , what does that tell you about his drafting ability ? He actually won the ACC several years ago , but it was with Vanderlindens kids,,,,,,,,,,Ralph must go..........
#8 Jul 8, 2008
Rumor has it that the U of D will be preparing for a new stadium.
#9 Jul 8, 2008
I am surprised that so many top-notch recruits from Maryland are going to PSU. PSU may have the reputation, but if you look at NFL draft success, Maryland has had much more success recently, especially on the defensive side of the ball (Henderson, Jackson, Jenkins, et al). If a kid wants an NFL career, I would think he would go to Maryland over PSU.
#10 Jul 8, 2008
Penn St is recruiting MD harder because Pitt has forced them out of Western Pa and Rutgers has forced them out of NJ.
Also, another 2 of the 6 want to play receiver, which would be difficult at MD with last year's recruits.
#11 Jul 8, 2008
If I were a Penn St fan, I'd worry about the success of Pittsburgh in recruiting the Keystone State.
I think it speaks to the talent in the state of MD rather than the lack of recruiting by the Terps.
Interesting timing of this article, days after the Terps nailed down their biggest recruit, a PG county kid in Arnett.
I think most Terp fans would take a successful team regardless of where the star players played their high school ball, but articles like this one gives the false perception that MD is getting raided by Penn St which just isn't factual.
Didn't Kenny Tate (4 star PG County WR) turn down Penn St to play for the terps like 5 months ago?
Also who is a better WR, former MD high school players Derrick Williams (Penn st) or Darrius Heyward-Bey (MD)?? hmmmmm
#12 Jul 8, 2008
Yes, go to that fine institution State Penn.
From ESPN "Outside the Lines"
( http://runupthescore.wordpress.com/2008/06/09... )
PENN STATE PLAYERS ARRESTED SINCE 2002
1. Maurice Humphrey - Arrest, Assault & Prison - Guilty
2. Maurice Humphrey - Probation Violation - Guilty
3. Maurice Humphrey - Fake ID Probation Violation - Guilty
4. Tyler Reed - Drunk in Public Summary Charge - Guilty
5. Andrew Richardson - Drunk in Public Summary Charge - Guilty
6. Rashard Casey - Arrest, Assault,- Dismissed
7. Anwar Phillips - Arrest, Assault,- Dismissed
8. T.C. Cosby - Arrest, Assault,- Acquitted
9. Michael Robinson - Ice-Rink Fight - Summary Charge
10. Lavon Chisley - Arrest, Sexual Assault,- Dismissed
11. Paul Jefferson - Drunk In Public Summary Charge - Guilty
12. Ed Johnson - Ice-rink fight Summary Charge - Guilty
13. Matthew Rice - Ice-rink fight - Summary Charge - Guilty
14. John Bronson, Arrest, Assault - Dismissed
15. Jeremy Kapinos - Drunk in public - Summary Charge
16. Tom McHugh - Hitting a woman - Summary Charge
17. Tony Johnson - Arrest, DUI - Guilty
18. Richard Cheek - Arrest, Stolen Credit Card - Guilty
19. Yaacov Yisreal - DUI - Guilty
20. Dan Drogan - DUI Leaving Accident - Guilty
21. Dethrell Garcia - DUI - Guilty
22. Scott Paxson - Criminal Mischief, Summary Charge - Guilty
23. E.Z. Smith - Drunk in public - Summary Charge - Guilty
24. R.J. Luke - Arrest Assault - Acquitted
25. Damone Jones - Unknown Charges - Dismissed From School
26. Mike Sothern - Terroristic Disorderly Criminal Mischief - Guilty
27. Mike Sothern - Criminal Mischief Expelled - Guilty
28. EZ Smith - Criminal Mischief Summary Charge - Guilty
29. Scott Paxson - Criminal Mischief Summary Charge - Guilty
30. Tyler Reed - Criminal Mischief Summary Charge - Guilty
31. Andrew Richardson - Criminal Mischief Summary Charge - Guilty
32. Ed Johnson - Sexual Misconduct Arrest - Guilty
34. Dan Connor - Criminal Mischief Phone Summary Charge - Guilty
35. Nolan MCready - Criminal Mischief Phone Summary Charge - Guilty
36. Jim Kanuch - Criminal Mischief Summary Phone Charge - Guilty
37. Paul Cronin - Drunk In Public Summary Charge - Guilty
38. Scott Paxson - Sexual Assault & Aggravated Indecent Charge - Guilty
39. Francis Claude - Arrest At Bar Disorderly Conduct - Guilty
40. Ed Johnson - Failed Drug Test Condition of Parole - Guilty
41. Lavon Chisley - Murder Charge - Guilty Life Sentence
42. Anthony P. Scirrotto - Burglary, criminal trespass, criminal solicitation, simple assault, harassment.- Trial Pending
43. Chris I. Baker - Burglary, criminal trespass criminal trespass, disorderly conduct, harassment.
44. Jerome A. Hayes - Criminal trespass, disorderly conduct, harassment.- Dismissed
45. Justin King - Criminal trespass, disorderly conduct, harassment.- Dismissed
46. Tyrell A. Sales - Criminal trespass, disorderly conduct, harassment - Dismissed
47. Lydell R. Sargeant - Criminal trespass, disorderly conduct, harassment - Dismissed
48. Andrew Quarless - Underage Drinking - Guilty
49. Willie Harriot - Underage Drinking - Guilty
50. Austin Scott - Rape, Drugs - Trial
51. Joe Suhey - Underage Drinking - Guilty
52. Ryan Breen - Underage Drinking - Guilty,
53. Joe Paterno - Road Rage - No Charges
54. Chris Baker - Felony aggravated assault, simple assault, disorderly conduct, summary harassment and stalking,- Pending.
55. Navarro Bowman - Felony aggravated assault, simple assault, disorderly conduct, summary harassment and stalking,- Pending.
56. Knowledge Timmons - Disorderly conduct and defiant trespass - Pending
57. Tyrell Sales – Under age drinking 2008 - Pending
58. Chris Bell Dismissed - off the field issues and academics
59. Phillip Taylor Dismissed - off the field issues and academics
60. Andrew Quarless Suspended, charged with DUI.
61. Chris Bell Dismissed - for threatening a teammate with a knife in team dining room.
#13 Jul 8, 2008
You know Jim i agree with you. When ralph came here he had the place going crazy. He won 10 games in a row but like you said he did that with the prior coaches recruits. I have been a loyal terps fan in basketball and in basketball and it is still a mystery with the size of this school the location why in the world do we always take the back seat when it comes to getting kids to play here. Ralph can't for the life of me get a blue chip QB to come here.I really beleive he needs to turn this around pretty soon or his time should be up as well as Gary's.You need to produce now and not continue to keep living on past deeds.
#14 Jul 8, 2008
WOW a pro UPS article by a UPS grad how totally predictable.. Why dont you revisit how that first batch or recruts are doing up at ups.. How many are eligible??
#15 Jul 8, 2008
I only caught this because of a link on a message board...articles like this are why i no longer read or subscribe to the Sun...looking forward to the next round of layoffs as you alienate more MARYLAND readers
#16 Jul 8, 2008
These kids also have the opportunity of playing for a legend, Coach Joe Paterno
#17 Jul 8, 2008
Still waiting on how Johnson sweet talked all those MD recruits on 2006 to take the bus to University of Penn State(what Derrick Williams called the school when he committed) and then tossed most of them aside once they got there
#18 Jul 8, 2008
Logan-El was picked up by Towson U after leaving Penn State.
#19 Jul 8, 2008
Im sure someone who states in their bio that they go to "Linebacker U" has no biases whatsoever towards MD. Thanks for the disclosure. Where are your editors, can't believe they actually approved this garbage.
#20 Jul 8, 2008
John is correct
Journalistic integrity is the Sun's M.O. He should have at least summed up the 2006 class as the failure that it is. Even Williams, the #1 recruit, has not lived up to the potential a top recruit should obtain.
Add your comments below
|Miami Dolphins NFL player AJ Francis moonlighti... (Jun '15)||Jul '15||Hoss Ross||58|
|Top-25 showdown on tap in ACC/Big Ten Challenge (Dec '14)||Dec '14||Bob||1|
|Terpsa Farrand out vs. BC (Nov '13)||Nov '13||Carroll||1|
|Happy Halloween in the ACC (Oct '13)||Oct '13||FanTapSports ACC||1|
|WVU's Close Call With Maryland Reflected in Wee... (Sep '12)||Sep '12||cowboyslang||1|
|Maryland Football v. West Virginia: Country Ter... (Sep '12)||Sep '12||Zac||1|
|ACC - Favorites will meet for title (Aug '12)||Aug '12||BigDan||1|
Find what you want!
Search Maryland Terrapins NCAA Football Forum Now
Copyright © 2018 Topix LLC