Vanquished in Va.

There are 47 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Oct 5, 2008, titled Vanquished in Va.. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Certainly, Ralph Friedgen had known this could happen, perhaps even dreaded it. "I've got butterflies," the Maryland coach had said two days before last night's football game against Virginia, a two-touchdown ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
wes

Middletown, MD

#41 Oct 5, 2008
I blame this game on the players. If they did not want to play - why did they even go there. At no time did they play with any kind of urgency, and the bottom line is there is no clear cut leadership on the field. Successful teams get up for every game, and try to beat embarrass teams like UVA. At no time did UMD get its footing last night. I do not know why it is so hard for the players to buy in to the fact that they can realistically be good. I would assume this group of players would want to be good, but maybe I am wrong. Is Darius not a big game player? UMD needs to find a guy that when all else is going bad, they can ture to him to take over.
Anti Gary

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#42 Oct 6, 2008
And guess what? If you think the football team is ugly, wait until you see Gary's mess at Midnight Madness!
Bob

Birmingham, AL

#43 Oct 6, 2008
Its not that they lost to Virginia, it is the fact that they got hammered by a team that hadn't even been competitive with another Division I team this year.

Say what you want, but playing down to the level of your competition is a direct reflection on the head coach. Virginia put 8 and 9 men in the box the entire first half- daring a down field throw- and the response from our coaches was to run off tackle on 1st and 2nd down virtually every series. I'm no rocket scientist, but I think I can figure that one out.
RELAX wrote:
If UMD beats Wake, then this loss will be forgotten as quickly as the fans have forgotten that UMD beat Clemson (on the road!) the week before. Typical case of "what have you done for me lately?" Take a deep breath, it's going to be okay.
Gary

Reston, VA

#44 Oct 6, 2008
I loved this result.

Virginia -- 31
Maryland -- 0 (zero - zip - zilch - nada)

Maryland's - Defensive and Offensive lines and Linebacking corp are the worst in College Football.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

Maryland's recruiting efforts are going to take a major hit with this result.

Prediction:

Wake Forest -- 34
Maryland -- 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels !
Tman

Lansing, MI

#45 Oct 6, 2008
He has fallen into the old entitlement trap. Many coaches are more successful in there first few seasons at a program, because there is no connection with current players and the evaluation process is different, everyone starts out even.
There are players on this team, including one 4 year starter (#55) on defense, that should never see the field period.
Put the best athletes on the field, and if they are inexpierenced and make mistakes, so be it.
No excuse for the VA. LOSS.
Dan eastern shore

United States

#46 Oct 6, 2008
Anti Gary wrote:
Raplh- Fat body and fatter contract.
Gary- Fat head and fatter contract.
Yow- Skinny brain and fat contract.
UMD- Football and Basketball-Worthless
C'mon Gary,get a grip.Go to the basketball board or better,yet,why don't you call Debbie Yow and speak to her yourself?We'll survive this drama;you're getting your money's worth as a fan,are'nt you buddy?
DFWB

Edgewater, MD

#47 Oct 6, 2008
If we get that Bowl, wonder if Gov. Palin, Hockey Mom extraordinaire, will show up???
Half Mast wrote:
All Terps fans should lower their Maryland flags to half mast. This particular loss was devastating. No other way to put in since The Cavs were barely on the radar and barely had a pulse. How could Maryland have lost to such a bunch of nobodys?
The answer is a lack of discipline and coaching. 31 points from a team that might win 1- at most 2more games this year? This feels like a bad dream.
The Frdige will have to be satisfied with another trip to the Billy Maze Gadget Bowl played in Fairbanks Alaska on a Tuesday night.
Say goodbye to any respect and a decent post season.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland Terrapins NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miami Dolphins NFL player AJ Francis moonlighti... (Jun '15) Jul '15 Hoss Ross 58
News Top-25 showdown on tap in ACC/Big Ten Challenge (Dec '14) Dec '14 Bob 1
News Terpsa Farrand out vs. BC (Nov '13) Nov '13 Carroll 1
News Happy Halloween in the ACC (Oct '13) Oct '13 FanTapSports ACC 1
News WVU's Close Call With Maryland Reflected in Wee... (Sep '12) Sep '12 cowboyslang 1
News Maryland Football v. West Virginia: Country Ter... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Zac 1
News ACC - Favorites will meet for title (Aug '12) Aug '12 BigDan 1
More from around the web