Shell game: Terps continue confusing ...

Shell game: Terps continue confusing trend

There are 38 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 7, 2008, titled Shell game: Terps continue confusing trend. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

They're usually wearing a grateful grin and a colorful jacket, something you would imagine Craig Sager donated to charity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
gscaton1

Brighton, MI

#1 Nov 7, 2008
Maryland is so overrated and they are going no where. Instead of the Orange Bowl they should be in the toilet bowl. 253 yards against you on the ground is horrible. Somebody has to be accounted for. If the coach does not know how to make changes then something is wrong. They are going nowhere, plain and simple, overrated.
Dan eastern shore

Perry, IA

#2 Nov 7, 2008
First two drives looked impressive;then the Hokies became more determined to play tougher.Turner wishes he could start over,I bet,but without a running game he needed to step up big time.It was one of those games where you wondered when were the Terps going to turn it on and finally pull it out(?) Not to be down there.
M Robertson

Denton, MD

#3 Nov 7, 2008
Let's thank Ralph Friedgen and Gary Williams for all the memories and move on.
Bob

Cockeysville, MD

#4 Nov 7, 2008
NEWS FLASH to all of you MD kool aid drinkers.Did you actually think last nights result was going to be any different. Ralph needs to get fired after the season. Please don't be lulled to sleep by them winning 6 games and the so called upsetting of 2 ranked 25 teams earlier. You can see just how bad those 2 schools are now. Way better football traditions then Md have decided to fire there coaches and MD needs to do the same.Ralph is so out coached in these games it's not funny.They had to struggle 2 weeks ago to beat a bad NC State team on a last second field goal at home. They won't win another game the rest of the year. I hope they get turned down for a bowl bid , after losing to middle Tenn st and getting killed by Va and VA tech.Gary you should be next in line. 2 coaches that are living in the past.You better wake up Debbie Yow before you lose your Job.
Adrian

Laurel, MD

#5 Nov 7, 2008
Bob wrote:
NEWS FLASH to all of you MD kool aid drinkers.Did you actually think last nights result was going to be any different. Ralph needs to get fired after the season. Please don't be lulled to sleep by them winning 6 games and the so called upsetting of 2 ranked 25 teams earlier. You can see just how bad those 2 schools are now. Way better football traditions then Md have decided to fire there coaches and MD needs to do the same.Ralph is so out coached in these games it's not funny.They had to struggle 2 weeks ago to beat a bad NC State team on a last second field goal at home. They won't win another game the rest of the year. I hope they get turned down for a bowl bid , after losing to middle Tenn st and getting killed by Va and VA tech.Gary you should be next in line. 2 coaches that are living in the past.You better wake up Debbie Yow before you lose your Job.
Shut up Bobby, if they win one more game this year...please be a man an admit that you are wrong, they probably will be North Carolina next week...then what will you have to say. Just let the season play out and go from there...all ways jumping to conclusions!!! They are still 6-3 and in the hunt for the title..so shut up!!!
Jimbo

Toronto, Canada

#6 Nov 7, 2008
I'm sorry but 253 yards on the ground against you is unacceptable. Were the coaches even awake for the final six minutes? You have VT backed up to their 5-yard line. You need two scores. VT struggles to pass at the best of times - six minutes to go, you KNOW they're going to run the ball to kill the clock. I dunno - maybe you stack the line, and go single coverage on the receivers. Nope - they run for 20 yards on the first play, and the rest is history.

When a team is running strong, you pack the line and dare them to throw on you. It's that simple. The coach needs to be fired just for being an idiot.
Frank

Clarkston, MI

#7 Nov 7, 2008
The Terps O and D lines are mediocre -- can't block well for the run and can't tackle well against the run
Bob

Cockeysville, MD

#8 Nov 7, 2008
Adrian wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut up Bobby, if they win one more game this year...please be a man an admit that you are wrong, they probably will be North Carolina next week...then what will you have to say. Just let the season play out and go from there...all ways jumping to conclusions!!! They are still 6-3 and in the hunt for the title..so shut up!!!
Hey if they win another game this year i will admit that i am wrong. What are you going to do jerk keep making excuses for ralph and a underachieving program.
Bill

Baltimore, MD

#9 Nov 7, 2008
Ralph reminds me of John Smith who used to coach at Michigan State. Neither one of them seemed to have a handle on their teams. The coach has to take the blame when the team is unprepared and doesn't perform up to expectations. I agree that Debbie Yow needs to hire a new coach.
Stock up the Fridge

Linden, IA

#10 Nov 7, 2008
let's be honest, one ACC division is much better than the other this year. Tech has misfortune of being in the tougher division, and Terps have good fortunte of being in easier. So, let's go terps, seize your lucky break, win next 3 and maybe you get Tech in a rematch on neutral turf.
Bob

Cockeysville, MD

#11 Nov 7, 2008
Stock up the Fridge wrote:
let's be honest, one ACC division is much better than the other this year. Tech has misfortune of being in the tougher division, and Terps have good fortunte of being in easier. So, let's go terps, seize your lucky break, win next 3 and maybe you get Tech in a rematch on neutral turf.
Win the next 3 you must be on crack cocaine. Wake up people and see this team for what it is. UNDERACHIEVING AND NEVER WINNING ANYTHING UNTIL RALPH GETS FIRED>
Terp Fan

Bethpage, NY

#12 Nov 7, 2008
Everyone needs to settle down. BC is the only team that has EVER beaten VT on a Thursday night. At the beginning of the season, I think everyone would be OK with a 23-13 loss at VT.

Let's get back to the present... the season is far from over. The Terps still control their own destiny. Even losing to UNC would still leave the door open (assuming Wake loses another game).

As for last night's game, why didn't Turner throw the ball downfield when VT was bringing all that pressure? You gotta make them pay. Throw something up for grabs and let DHB make a play.
fkterp

Loxahatchee, FL

#13 Nov 7, 2008
out coached, out hustled, offensive and defensive lines played poorly. evans looked like o.j...knifing through the defense, slicing them up. md made their qb with a bad ankle look like an all american. when they couldn't get a td after the muffed punt you knew it was over.
LJ in MD

Alexandria, VA

#14 Nov 7, 2008
Doesn't the coach have at least a little say in determining "who this team is"? In watching this game, and at least parts of others, Ralph gets his kids to act a lot like him - aloof, somewhat disinterested. Last night, it was clearly reflected in the way they played - slapping at runners as they went by, not even yelling "look out" as they watched rushers head towards their quarterback, and a quarterback that looked no more concerned than if he had just got a B-minus on an English paper when he thought he probably earned a B.
When a single wide receiver is the only person on the sideline showing any emotion...they should have just stayed home.
Terp Fan

Baltimore, MD

#15 Nov 7, 2008
I don't get the title of this article.

What's ailing the Terps is simple. This year's team doesn't play well on the road. Probably because playing on the road is one of the toughest things to do in college football.

So, my guess is they go 2-1 down the stretch. Beat UNC and Fla. St. at home; lose to BC in Chestnut Hill.

That probably wins the Atlantic Division, given the amount of parity in the conference, and the fact that MD would have beaten every one else in the division, save for BC.
Ravtown

Arlington, VA

#16 Nov 7, 2008
Despite the fact that VT is in a rebuilding year, they still showed that they are exactly what the Terps aren't, and that's Too Big, Too Strong and Too Fast. Most of Maryland's problems are the result of their inability to recruit enough blue chippers. This is the case with their basketball team as well. In the end they depend way too much on motivational and frenetic coaching. While you can fool all of the people some of the time, it won't work every year.
Terps

Baltimore, MD

#17 Nov 7, 2008
I think maryland plays hard and with heart (maybe not against UVA) I also saw a team that was not very athletic on the lines.

I think the offensive coaching is fine. I am not sure about the defensive coaching. The recruiting has not brough enough great athletes, especially on the defensive line.
BBB

Bethpage, NY

#18 Nov 7, 2008
Sorry, but you can't blame -12 yards rushing for the entire game on "missed assignments". Poor game plan, poor coaching, no corrections made.
Bob

Cockeysville, MD

#19 Nov 7, 2008
Terp Fan wrote:
I don't get the title of this article.
What's ailing the Terps is simple. This year's team doesn't play well on the road. Probably because playing on the road is one of the toughest things to do in college football.
So, my guess is they go 2-1 down the stretch. Beat UNC and Fla. St. at home; lose to BC in Chestnut Hill.
That probably wins the Atlantic Division, given the amount of parity in the conference, and the fact that MD would have beaten every one else in the division, save for BC.
Beat unc and flas st at home you definately are smoking good weed. They won't win another game all year and that will be enough for all you in denial fans, that think just being average is ok.
Aaron

Richmond, VA

#20 Nov 7, 2008
I didn't expect to beat VT last night. I don't give a ton of credence to MD being #21. Each week its a different ACC team in the top 25 so either we all kinda stink or there is an enormous amount of parity in this league. We have long way to go before people will take us (ACC teams) as seriously as they do Big 12 or the SEC. Not overly upset losing on the road to a Frank Beamer coached team. We had our chances....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland Terrapins NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miami Dolphins NFL player AJ Francis moonlighti... (Jun '15) Jul '15 Hoss Ross 58
News Top-25 showdown on tap in ACC/Big Ten Challenge (Dec '14) Dec '14 Bob 1
News Terpsa Farrand out vs. BC (Nov '13) Nov '13 Carroll 1
News Happy Halloween in the ACC (Oct '13) Oct '13 FanTapSports ACC 1
News WVU's Close Call With Maryland Reflected in Wee... (Sep '12) Sep '12 cowboyslang 1
News Maryland Football v. West Virginia: Country Ter... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Zac 1
News ACC - Favorites will meet for title (Aug '12) Aug '12 BigDan 1
More from around the web