Big bowl of postseason possibilities

Big bowl of postseason possibilities

There are 45 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 26, 2008, titled Big bowl of postseason possibilities. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Maryland and West Virginia, regional rivals not scheduled to meet until the 2010 regular season, could play next month in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte, N.C. That's one of numerous bowl scenarios that ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Scott G

Alexandria, VA

#41 Nov 27, 2008
lance917 wrote:
When md gets there A$$"s handed to them on saturday by a boston college team that knows what to do when there is a championship on the line i will see where all you kool aid drinkers are then. That means that this team will have 30 senior's waiting a month to play in a game that they will care nothing about.Oh yea i understand about how a bowl game is important because it gives you invaluable practice time for the underclassman, but when a team is made up of mostly seniors that have already quit on you , that doesn't make for the best senerio.You will then tell me all about how they beat 4 ranked oppenents during the year.Well lets take a look back and review all of them. Lost to middle tenn st, beat california ranked team that turned out to be a bust.beat clemson ranked team,way over rated fired there coach no where to be found,va hadn't beaten anybody up to our game and now no where to be found, wake forest i will give you that one,but still no where to be found, barely beat a NC st team that was horrible on a last second field goal at home,nc ranked team that just got it's A$$ handed to them by nc st now now where to be found, 2 prime time games in front of national tv that they got embarassed , so yeah they beat 4 ranked teams at the time they played them that are no where to be found right now because they were all over rated when they played them.Then we have a coach after every loss speak about how he didn't get through to his players and wonder why in the world with a championship on the line they didn't show up to play. That my friends sounds like a program that is in turmoil and not one that Scott g in frederick tells everybody is so good. So once again when they get killed on saturday and end there season in disaray you all come back and tell me what a great coach ralph is.And scott the reason bobby ross left was because he begged the administration for upgrades to the facilities and couldn't even get them to upgrade the lockers.So i hope all of you md koold aid drinkers have a great thanksgiving and save some leftovers for the trouncing we are going to get on saturday.
That is the reason Bobby Ross gave publicly. Tell me, were Georgia Tech's and Armys better than MD's were at the time? No. Thats where you fall through the cracks. Now it must be the whole ACC sux in your mind. Since MD is only behind 3 other teams in the ACC by one game to each, I would think any REASONABLE person would say, MD is an above average team in a decent, but not great conference. That in of itself makes us good.

You seemling love of Bobby Ross, name me some of his great wins. He did beat UNC a couple times when they were ranked, true. Beat ranked Clemson a couple of times. Lead UMD over Miami in the great comeback. But consider Miami ended 8-5. Consider Bobby also lost to teams like Syracuse and Vanderbilt...at HOME! Also got crushed 20-0 at Michigan. Lost the big game at Auburn that could have gotten them to the Orange Bowl. As I recall, they came out and got stomped at Clemson the week after that. Bobby ended his tenure at 5-5-1. These were his recruits, under VERY loose admissions standards under Dick Dull. He went to 4 bowl games in 5 years. Ralph will have gone to 6 in 8. Granted, bowls meant more then, but really of those 5 bowls under Ralph, would have deserved 5 of them. Last year I don't think they really belonged. But back to Bobby, when playing the big games, he was not really any more successful than MD is now. The fact you want to put him on a pedestal, when you don't even see the fallacy in your argument makes your opinion pretty small.

You can argue about UMD's play now, and Ralph's quality as a coach, but to sit and type that Bobby Ross was so good is lunacy. He and Ralph are on the same level, especially when you consider Ralph was his assistant then.

Anyway, have a safe and Happy tryptophan filled weekend.

Since: Nov 08

Baltimore, MD

#42 Nov 27, 2008
Make sure your around on saturday when they get trounced. If you can't see that ralph has lost this team then i feel sorry for you.But anyway you die hards down there that worship ralph and gary will soon realize that they both need to go. Scott i admire you rooting for the home team but i stopped along time ago giving life time passes to coaches that have allowed there programs to decline.How many more years will you be satisfied with the basketball program having to barely settle for NIT berths.Thats ok you keep making excuses for both programs but the time is drawing very near for both to get the boot.
Biff

Troy, MI

#43 Nov 27, 2008
lance917 wrote:
Make sure your around on saturday when they get trounced. If you can't see that ralph has lost this team then i feel sorry for you.But anyway you die hards down there that worship ralph and gary will soon realize that they both need to go. Scott i admire you rooting for the home team but i stopped along time ago giving life time passes to coaches that have allowed there programs to decline.How many more years will you be satisfied with the basketball program having to barely settle for NIT berths.Thats ok you keep making excuses for both programs but the time is drawing very near for both to get the boot.
I guess I just don't understand why you care, if you so against each coach. Who's offered a 'life time pass?' I have continually stated that if a trend of decline were to continue, then certainly a change would or should be made, but right now there isn't a real "absolute must" in terms of making a move. No coach gets a life pass, at least thats how I feel...but were talking about one coach who has been invited to 5 bowls in 7 years (with another to come, 6 in 8 years), and a coach that just two years ago posted a 25-9 record and a NCAA Tourney birth. Did these men forget how to coach in one year? I think not, the football team will attend yet another bowl this year, and the Men's Basketball team is off to a 3-0 start (yes its early, I know, but they can't be penalized for that).

On the first part of your note, how did Friedgen lose his team in a matter of one game? I guess he lost his team when they beat Cal, Clemson, and UNC too, they were just lucky to have scored enough points...but Friedgen didn't motivate them, they just won the game in spite of him.

The FSU game was a dissapointment, but they fell into the quicksand or things snowballed, whatever it is called nowadays...5 trips inside the FSU 20 yard line and only 3 points...that is execution or lack there of. Friedgen didn't fumble, throw bad interceptions when the receiver was covered by four players, and he didn't miss field goals or blocking assignments. The game sucked, but that happens to everyone now and again. But they have to rebound, and I feel this team will put up a good fight versus BC. They matchup well with BC and if Meggett and Scott can get untracked early, it will be a good showing.
Biff

Troy, MI

#44 Nov 27, 2008
Terrible Terps wrote:
UM is cursed when it comes to nationaly televised games. I can't bear to watch them amymore. All the way back to the early 90's when they were undefeated and playing Georgia Tech. As I recall the Terps were shut out and looked horrible- losing 35-0. The trend continues to this day.
The blame for the latest embarassment falls 100% on the players. No way the coaching can be blamed. After all the coaches are not on the field. Anyone saying otherwise needs to read the rules of college football:'only players can participate in the actual game.
The Terps were and will be an embarassment for years to come. The whole country sees them as the easiest bet in college football. Just load up and bet the farm that the Terps will get buried if the nation is watching.
Speaking of GREAT BETS the basketball team is playing MSU at 7 PM Thursday and whatever the line is give the points and bet the world on MSU. This Terp B-ball team is shaping up to be the worst in 20 years. Man it's going to be a longgggggg season.
Hmm...the Cal v MD game was nationally televised...
Bugaboo

Hancock, MD

#45 Dec 7, 2008
While many of you are concerned with where Maryland plays their bowl game, I'm concerned with Ralph's girth.
He needs to lose some friggin' weight... about 100 lbs. would be a start.
I don't know the guy, but someone close to him needs to get it through his head that whatever he's doing - over-eating, not exercising, etc., is going to kill him.
I don't want to see him drop dead on the sidelines during a game... or anywhere else for that matter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland Terrapins NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miami Dolphins NFL player AJ Francis moonlighti... (Jun '15) Jul '15 Hoss Ross 58
News Top-25 showdown on tap in ACC/Big Ten Challenge (Dec '14) Dec '14 Bob 1
News Terpsa Farrand out vs. BC (Nov '13) Nov '13 Carroll 1
News Happy Halloween in the ACC (Oct '13) Oct '13 FanTapSports ACC 1
News WVU's Close Call With Maryland Reflected in Wee... (Sep '12) Sep '12 cowboyslang 1
News Maryland Football v. West Virginia: Country Ter... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Zac 1
News ACC - Favorites will meet for title (Aug '12) Aug '12 BigDan 1
More from around the web