Big bowl of postseason possibilities

Big bowl of postseason possibilities

There are 45 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 26, 2008, titled Big bowl of postseason possibilities. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Maryland and West Virginia, regional rivals not scheduled to meet until the 2010 regular season, could play next month in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte, N.C. That's one of numerous bowl scenarios that ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
fkterp

Loxahatchee, FL

#1 Nov 26, 2008
the only place to play a bowl game if you can't play in a bcs game is in florida. today's high in south fl. will be 77 degress

Since: Nov 08

Baltimore, MD

#2 Nov 26, 2008
After they get there A$$ kicked in the boston college game they should be ashamed to accept a bowl bid.But you will have all the in denial md fans coming out the woodwork telling everybody how good this team is and how ralph resurrected this program from the dead.A fitting bowl would match up ND vs. Md in a bowl game where both coaches should be fired.
Huh

Raleigh, NC

#3 Nov 26, 2008
Actually UMD travels very well for bowl games.
Surf52

Baltimore, MD

#4 Nov 26, 2008
The Meineke Car Care Bowl. Oh, Goody. I just love cold weather bowl games. You can have first dibs on my tickets.
john

Baltimore, MD

#5 Nov 26, 2008
I think there are too many bowl games. There are, last time I checked, 34 NCAA bowl games. That means 68 of the Division 1 teams get to play in a bowl. That's more than half the teams. To me, with this many bowl games, a bowl bid just seems like an extra game, that's all. It doesn't seem to special to get invited to some bowl put on by some company that wants to get their name out there by sponsoring a bowl and coughing up millions to the NCAA.

I mean, if you finish 6-5 or 6-6 in the Atlantic-10, you're a pretty sad team.

I'm not trying to diminish what Maryland has accomplished this year. They're doing great. But bowl games must be special, and more rare than they currently are. And they need to all be played after Christmas, and closer to New Years.
Go Terps

Alexandria, VA

#6 Nov 26, 2008
john wrote:
I think there are too many bowl games. There are, last time I checked, 34 NCAA bowl games. That means 68 of the Division 1 teams get to play in a bowl. That's more than half the teams. To me, with this many bowl games, a bowl bid just seems like an extra game, that's all. It doesn't seem to special to get invited to some bowl put on by some company that wants to get their name out there by sponsoring a bowl and coughing up millions to the NCAA.
I'm not trying to diminish what Maryland has accomplished this year. They're doing great. But bowl games must be special, and more rare than they currently are. And they need to all be played after Christmas, and closer to New Years.
The Atlantic 10? LOL. I hope that was a mistake.

Maryland fans DO travel well and a matchup against WVU would excite the fans as much as possible after this up and down season.
BUCKEYE AND NOLE

State College, PA

#7 Nov 26, 2008
That would be a great game to watch. Good luck to both Maryland and WVU. May the best team win.
BDD

United States

#8 Nov 26, 2008
I am begging Ralph on my hands and kness to please NOT accept any Bowl game against WVU or Rutgers.

Part of the fun of the college bowl season is to play teams that yuo don't normally play in the regular season. We only have to wait one more year for the WVU series to resume and Rutgers is also on our future schedule.

I like the idea of Notre Dame or a west coast team that we don't usually play - far more intriguing.

I also happen to think that the Champs and Gator are not that far-fetched if the Terps knock off BC. The Bowl selection people have to love a team that has beaten six straight ranked opponents.

It's simple, match the Terps against a ranked team and you will get a good game.
BDD

United States

#9 Nov 26, 2008
Again, I implore the MD athletic department - No games against WVU...BORING.
Dolf

United States

#10 Nov 26, 2008
john wrote:
Your very right, only the top 20 teams should play in bowls.
Bob C

Gwynn Oak, MD

#11 Nov 26, 2008
Hey Lance-go root for Michigan. Every team has down time. Sure. I don't like it that the Terps have lost some they should have won, but they also won some that they probably should have lost. I hope we play in the rain myself-they are mudders.
Bob C

Gwynn Oak, MD

#12 Nov 26, 2008
Hey Lance-go root for Michigan. Every team has down years. Sure the Terps lost some games they should have won, but they won games they should have lost against ranked teams.
I hope we play in the rain-the Terps are mudders.
Biff

Bethpage, NY

#13 Nov 26, 2008
lance917 wrote:
After they get there A$$ kicked in the boston college game they should be ashamed to accept a bowl bid.But you will have all the in denial md fans coming out the woodwork telling everybody how good this team is and how ralph resurrected this program from the dead.A fitting bowl would match up ND vs. Md in a bowl game where both coaches should be fired.
I haven't been in the woodwork and I certainly not in denial, now is not the time to change coaches at Maryland. How can you deny that Ralph didn't to an extant bring this program out of the dark? I am not saying he is the greatest ever, but the program is consistantly being invited or earning bowl spots, players 'want' to come here, and the foundation is being built.

On another note, they will not get 'their A$$ kicked' against BC, I am not going to predict anything, but its time for the student-athletes to check themselves and step up.

Plus...you don't turn down a bowl invite.
Biff

Bethpage, NY

#14 Nov 26, 2008
I am not so oppossed to having a bowl game versus WVU, especially if the Mountaineers finish out strong. I could see from a TV standpoint, that this would be an attractive matchup, as there is a lot of history. I know we play them quite a bit, but it would be another notch in a outside the conference rivalry.

In some respects, you like to have game against a team you don't normally see, but depending on what is available, a WVU match up may fare well.
L D - The Terp - Smith

Gwynn Oak, MD

#15 Nov 26, 2008
lance917 wrote:
Sure, i can hear that conversation now.'Uh Debbie? This is Ralph. Since we didn't play well against Fla St, the team feels we don't deserve to go to a bowl game, no matter our record'.
Gee Lance lighten up huh? Yes there were some losses that hurt, but big wins also. They earned a bowl game.

Since: Nov 08

Baltimore, MD

#16 Nov 26, 2008
Biff wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't been in the woodwork and I certainly not in denial, now is not the time to change coaches at Maryland. How can you deny that Ralph didn't to an extant bring this program out of the dark? I am not saying he is the greatest ever, but the program is consistantly being invited or earning bowl spots, players 'want' to come here, and the foundation is being built.
On another note, they will not get 'their A$$ kicked' against BC, I am not going to predict anything, but its time for the student-athletes to check themselves and step up.
Plus...you don't turn down a bowl invite.
Bobby ross coached circles around ralph. And let me see if my memory is correct they have only been to 1 bowl in the last 4 years. I don't think that is constantly being invited to bowl games.
Biff

Bethpage, NY

#17 Nov 26, 2008
lance917 wrote:
<quoted text> Bobby ross coached circles around ralph. And let me see if my memory is correct they have only been to 1 bowl in the last 4 years. I don't think that is constantly being invited to bowl games.
I agree, Bobby Ross was good coach, but he left years ago and we were in a down cycle and then we went into the "Dark Years," and Ralph was part of bringing us out of it. Prior to Ralph, CP was not a great place at all for the piskin. Lest you forget, there were some coaches in between the years that Ross left and the Fridge got to campus.

In seven years, we have been invited to 5 bowls...with another one coming this year. So if I add correctly, that is 6 in 8 years if we assume a bowl is on the horizon.
Ravtown

Arlington, VA

#18 Nov 26, 2008
I don't think Maryland would travel well to Idaho.
Surf52

Baltimore, MD

#19 Nov 26, 2008
BDD wrote:
Again, I implore the MD athletic department - No games against WVU...BORING.
I agree. But I think ACC Conference rules, in the money talks and bushlitt walks era, require a team to accept a bowl offer, any bowl offer they get. If they're the only ones that want the Terps, oh well.
Biff

Bethpage, NY

#20 Nov 26, 2008
Ravtown wrote:
I don't think Maryland would travel well to Idaho.
That would be an interesting trip :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland Terrapins NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miami Dolphins NFL player AJ Francis moonlighti... (Jun '15) Jul '15 Hoss Ross 58
News Top-25 showdown on tap in ACC/Big Ten Challenge (Dec '14) Dec '14 Bob 1
News Terpsa Farrand out vs. BC (Nov '13) Nov '13 Carroll 1
News Happy Halloween in the ACC (Oct '13) Oct '13 FanTapSports ACC 1
News WVU's Close Call With Maryland Reflected in Wee... (Sep '12) Sep '12 cowboyslang 1
News Maryland Football v. West Virginia: Country Ter... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Zac 1
News ACC - Favorites will meet for title (Aug '12) Aug '12 BigDan 1
More from around the web