Cubs lack MVP candidates

Cubs lack MVP candidates

There are 27 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 16, 2008, titled Cubs lack MVP candidates. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Cubs could finish with the best record in the National League and still not have a viable candidate for Most Valuable Player.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Aisle 126

Highland, IN

#1 Aug 16, 2008
Interesting. I read the Trib's Cubs coverage, including this story about not having a clear MVP. That's true.

Then I go over to ESPN MLB home page and see as lead story Peter Gammons suggesting that Geovany Soto is NL MVP. Yes, sir!
Big Cat

Lake In The Hills, IL

#2 Aug 16, 2008
Beat me to it. Gammons makes a legit case too, though I doubt the hacks who vote on the MVP award would have the chutzpah to give it to a rookie with "only" 20-25 home runs and 85-95 RBI's no matter how well he handled the pitching staff.

Since: Jul 08

United States

#3 Aug 16, 2008
Gammons never directly stated that he thought Geo should be a legitimate MVP candidate. Gammons was told by a Cubs player how much Soto means to the team and Gammons decided it was a good time to stir up some MVP talk because there aren't any standout candidates. He definitely achieved his goal on that front. Soriano is the Cubs MVP. The team is playing .500 ball without him in the lineup.
Hawk and DJs Love Child

Chicago, IL

#4 Aug 16, 2008
The fact that this team doesn't even know who their MVP is, speaks volumes about their balanced play. I don't buy a catcher being an MVP candidate, unless he is tearing the seam off the ball (avg. hrs), has the pitching staff around 3 ER's and is hitting near the middle of the lineup.

I know I am a Sox fan, but my choice would be Zambrano. He is clearly the heart of this team, a clear indicator as to who the MVP is.

Go Sox!!! Mercy!!
Bobby Knight

Orlando, FL

#5 Aug 16, 2008
I don't think they have this record without Soto! I agree with Gammons.
Linda

Las Vegas, NV

#6 Aug 16, 2008
Hawk and DJs Love Child wrote:
The fact that this team doesn't even know who their MVP is, speaks volumes about their balanced play. I don't buy a catcher being an MVP candidate, unless he is tearing the seam off the ball (avg. hrs), has the pitching staff around 3 ER's and is hitting near the middle of the lineup.
I know I am a Sox fan, but my choice would be Zambrano. He is clearly the heart of this team, a clear indicator as to who the MVP is.
Go Sox!!! Mercy!!
You are a little "out of the loop" Sox fan ....... Zambrano, at the moment, is even losing his grip on the title "ace of the pitching staff?"
ty welke

Poway, CA

#7 Aug 16, 2008
They have no outstanding individual player because they are FINALLY playing as a unified team with a collective purpose. The letters WIN are far superior to MVP
ty welke

Poway, CA

#8 Aug 16, 2008
I fear Soriano would spell team differently....perhaps teME. He does not portray a team leader to me as he has far too many flaws. He is an overpaid slugger.... pure and simple!

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#9 Aug 16, 2008
Its called team ball ! GO CUBBIES soon to be your world champions !!!!
acw

Batavia, IL

#10 Aug 16, 2008
Im just so sick of people still bashing Soriano and his contract. The man has been a beast since his return from the the DL, and our best hitter since the break. yeah he makes his share of mistakes but there are not too many other left fielders in the league that i would rather have. He is explosive. I also don't see how he is not a team player. The guy is always smiling and celebrating with everyone. I think he is a great teammate and I believe every Cub player would concur.
As for Soto, he really should get consideration for MVP..285, 25-30 homers , and 85-95 rbis is spectacular for anyone. Plus he has the pitching staff top five in the league in era. He should get some serious props. I also think that Dempster should get some consideration. He has been so consistent, and the glue on our staff.
SteveR

Sarasota, FL

#11 Aug 16, 2008
Cubs record is night and day with and without Soriano in the lineup.
SteveR

Sarasota, FL

#12 Aug 16, 2008
meant to write with or without.
Billy Bob

United States

#13 Aug 16, 2008
ty welke wrote:
They have no outstanding individual player because they are FINALLY playing as a unified team with a collective purpose. The letters WIN are far superior to MVP
Touche'!!!!!!!!!
100 Years of Futility

Las Vegas, NV

#14 Aug 16, 2008
This just goes to show you the moron Gammons is. Everyone knows he loves the Cubs and Red Sox. Soto is having a nice a year and should win rookie of the year, but there is no way he is the MVP. Maybe in 3 or 4 years but not right now.

There are 3 players on your team who I think would have a better case for MVP than Soto: Dempster, Marmol, and Edmonds. I think your team would not be in first place if those 3 were taken off. Henry Blanco is a fine defensive catcher and calls a pretty good game.

Take Soto away, the Cubs would still be in first. Take away one of those other 3, and maybe not. Remember how much your club was struggling when they signed Edmonds.

GO WHITE SOX

United States

#15 Aug 16, 2008
Did you read what I wrote, futility?
100 Years of Futility

Las Vegas, NV

#16 Aug 16, 2008
Yes, you must not have read Gammons article very closely

United States

#17 Aug 16, 2008
Gammons made a case for McCann over Soto as a hypothetical, therefore hes not vying for Soto. He was bringing to attention the fact that there is no lock for MVP at this point.
I yam who I ahm

Keene, NH

#18 Aug 17, 2008
Get it right. The pitching staff is the MVP this season. Dempster certainly should be at the top of the list. He has exceeded all expectations and has followed through on all his boasts so far.
And the hitting coaches. Whoever got the walks to strikeout ratio where it is is doing a great job.
Larry

Wilkesboro, NC

#19 Aug 17, 2008
The Cubs team MVP (not the entire league) should be split between Ryan Dempster, Jim Edmonds and Reed Johnson. Each of those guys has been a huge contributor to the Cubs' success this year.
Hawk and DJs Love Child

Winnetka, IL

#20 Aug 17, 2008
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a little "out of the loop" Sox fan ....... Zambrano, at the moment, is even losing his grip on the title "ace of the pitching staff?"
Uh, you have to look at the body of work, dear, not a few weeks worth of work. Without Zambrano, they are the Cardinals.......

And you call yourself a knowledgeable Cub's fan? Typical response. Here I am trying to give some respect to your team and I gotta hear THAT nonsense?!?! Please, do yourself a favor and have another beer, wear your pink Cub shirt, go Whoo-whoo! when the camera is looking for "hot" fans and shaddup!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marshall University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Marshall WR Troy Evans charged with robberies (Aug '11) Apr '14 Daisy 11
News Women's Basketball Defeats Marshall, 68-61, Sna... (Mar '13) Mar '13 BK Fan 1
News Marshall football: Herd resilient, continues to... (Nov '12) Nov '12 amy 1
News Longtime head coach Bob Wright passes away (Apr '12) Apr '12 Music Man 4
News Curry has monster Pro Day (Mar '12) Mar '12 we are 1
News W.Va. has its share of talent (Jan '12) Jan '12 jeff 1
News Herd aims to keep hope alive at Tulsa (Nov '11) Nov '11 pinrodno77 1
More from around the web