NCAA tournament predictions

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Tribune reporters have mapped out their brackets and reveal which teams will cruise to Detroit and which schools will send your bracket careening into a ditch.
Comments
1 - 20 of 52 Comments Last updated Apr 2, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Oak Park Lefty

Edmond, OK

#1 Mar 15, 2009
Oklahoma University fans will be distraught, but the Sooner guards have been absent the last two weeks of the regular season to say nothing of the Big 12 tournament. Also, lottery pick Blake Griffin is still not 100% after getting a concussion a couple of weeks ago.

All in all, I think the Tribune sports writers have done a pretty good job picking the final 4, etc.
Tom

Danville, IL

#2 Mar 16, 2009
Agreed - BUT the upset will not be Western Ky over the Illini. You want a s0-called upset? Then take Northern Iowa over Purdue. NIU is a very scrappy team with an inside presence to match up with Purdue.

The Missouri Valley is a pretty strong conference top to bottom and will send 5 teams to the NIT: Illinois State,Tulsa,Creighton, Northern Iowa and Bradley. And even tho the NIT is not the NCAA, it shows that this mid-major conference can carry it's own weight. Illinois State could have just as easily been in the NCAA too.

7 teams in the NCAA? Are you kidding?
Tom

Danville, IL

#3 Mar 16, 2009
Sorry - I need to clarify one of my sentences. I should have said the MVC COULD send 5 teams to the NIT: Illinois State and Creighton are already in.

Northern Iowa goes by UNI not NIU as I had (confusion with Northern Illinois)

And the boo-boo of all is Tulsa dropped from the MVC a while back.

I need my Coffee !!!!
Ben

Winnetka, IL

#4 Mar 16, 2009
How about a different 5/12 matchup as the big upset: Wisconsin over Florida State. Most people will laugh at this one, but look closer and you'll see the point spread (FSU -3) and other statistical rankings (Pomeroy Rating for FSU: 35. For Wisconsin: 30), and you have a recipe for - at the least - a very entertaining game.
Ben

Montréal, Canada

#5 Mar 16, 2009
The USFL will return in 2010!
Mr Houston

Houston, TX

#6 Mar 16, 2009
Memphis will win it all. They are even better than last year, which is hard to believe minus Derrick Rose but it's true. Calipari is probably the best coach and recruiter in the country.
Mac

United States

#7 Mar 16, 2009
If everyone will be jet-lagged in Portland, why is that an advantage for Western Kentucky? Both schools are from the central time zone and will play at 8:55 central time, an hour later than the usual 8:00 weeknight tipoff. Western Kentucky may have a win over Louisville -- Louisville -- on its resume, but it also has a loss to Evansville -- Evansville --, which is made equally important by having stated the name twice.
Crook County

Schaumburg, IL

#8 Mar 16, 2009
Put your money on Washington to at least go to the elite 8
Central

Springfield, IL

#9 Mar 16, 2009
Based on all of the so called "experts" predictions, I think the real upset would be Illinois beating Western Kentucky. How can it be an upset if no one is picking the Illini. I know Illinois has had some off games this year but I believe they deserve much more credit than they are getting. We'll see what happens on Thursday.
Chris

Joliet, IL

#10 Mar 16, 2009
Its pretty disheartening that the predictions at the tribune cast a shadow over Illinois performance this year. Yes Western Kentucky had an upset win over Louisville, but that looks a lot better after their Big East play than it did in their non-conference, not to mention it was last year. I think the Illini will win this game, and even give a smaller Gonzaga team a run for their money.
Tar Heel Fan

Chicago, IL

#11 Mar 16, 2009
The name says it all.
Super Vlade

Mchenry, IL

#12 Mar 16, 2009
Wait, we're talking about the same Western Kentucky team that boasts these performances this year?

Lost to Evansville 40-72
Lost to Murray State 61-89
Lost to Houston 64-73
Lost to Florida State 69-82
Lost to Mississippi State 67-95
Lost to Florida International 79-81
Lost to Denver 74-48
Lost to Troy 82-87

Illinois by 15.

Wisco is your 12-5 upset. Didn't Northwestern beat FSU this year?
Orange Crush

Toledo, OH

#13 Mar 16, 2009
Syracuse will shock the world when they win the NCAA tourney. Take it to the bank!!
Zona

Reno, NV

#14 Mar 16, 2009
Arizona is a 1-point favorite as the 12-seed versus 5-seed Utah.

AZ is your 12th seed upsetter brainiacs!
BO Born in Kenya

United States

#15 Mar 16, 2009
I predict Comrade Obama the Marxist will divide this country into 4 countries within three years. I predict the DJ will sink to 2400 by end of 2010. I predict Comrade Obama will be impeached as a fraudulent president by 2011.
Jo Hu

Hazard, KY

#16 Mar 16, 2009
FINAL 4=wake,uconn,pitt,and syracuse....the ORANGEMEN will be the champss
Ben

Winnetka, IL

#17 Mar 16, 2009
Is it really an "upset" if the team that's favored wins? I'm taking Utah anyway in that one. It'll be a close game, but I don't think Arizona should have made the tourney in the first place. Utah is a spite pick.

There is no way Syracuse wins the tourney. I'll drink 5 gallons of orange drink in one sitting if they do. Their draw (despite being overseeded at #3) is too difficult; Arizona St., UNC/Gonzaga and Pitt (if they get that far) can all handle the Orange.
Rex the Dog

Chicago, IL

#18 Mar 17, 2009
GO ILLINI!
Cheech

Moreno Valley, CA

#19 Mar 17, 2009
Crook County wrote:
Put your money on Washington to at least go to the elite 8
Agreed. I don't think east coast and midwest fans realize how good this team is due to lack of Pac 1- coverage and east coast (i.e. Big East/ACC bias).

Washignton will at least go to to the Elite 8 as UConn is not UConn without Dyson.
MWolf

Joliet, IL

#20 Mar 17, 2009
Zona wrote:
Arizona is a 1-point favorite as the 12-seed versus 5-seed Utah.
AZ is your 12th seed upsetter brainiacs!
If they're favored to win then it wouldn't be an upset braniac...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marquette Golden Eagles NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2012-'13 Player Review: #0 Jamil Wilson (May '13) May '13 MUX2 1
2012-13 Player Review: Jamal Ferguson (Apr '13) May '13 Randy McKenzie 2
Marquette reserve Thomas was key in first game ... (Apr '13) Apr '13 I Hate Syracuse 1
Drew Gordon from New Mexico Wins StatSheet NCAA... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Frank 1
Maury star signs letter of intent to play at Ma... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Edwin Blarff 2
How Much NBA Talent Does the Marquette Roster H... (Jan '11) Jan '11 guest 1
Lab results show Arkansas birds died of blunt-f... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Army CPT at Fort Lee 3
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Marquette Golden Eagles NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••