KRIKORIAN: Monson happy at LBSU, for now

KRIKORIAN: Monson happy at LBSU, for now

There are 2 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Jan 7, 2009, titled KRIKORIAN: Monson happy at LBSU, for now. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Along with the turnabout of the Long Beach State basketball team - its seven victories already exceeds last season's grand total of six - has been the recurring speculation about the future of its coach Dan ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

chris

Fresno, CA

#2 Jan 8, 2009
There are a few reason why Long Beach has a better chance to keep Monson than Gonzaga did

a.) Monson has not done anything special at Long Beach yet. I am not saying that he will not but until he does I do not think teams will be throwing money at him.

b.) Monson already got his money (the Minnesota job) so his life (not the life of his kids or grand kids) would not be affected to much by making 300k a year at long beach or 1 million at a better school (they numbers are random I do not know what he makes at LBSU or what he would make somewhere else I am just saying it will not have that big of an impact on Monson's life).

c.) Monson left something great at Gonzaga, if he is able to build Long Beach into a program like Gonzaga that would be a great accomplishment for any coach. This is his motivation and it is something that could fulfill his competitive spirit. Note I do not think that Monson can turn LBSU into Gonzaga but there is always wishful thinking.

d.) Even if he has success at LBSU and gets a better job he might fail again and be forced to either retire or start back up at a "small" school. This would mean two more moves for his family (which are never easy when you are doing them even if it does turn out to be a better fit at the knew place).

Reasons to leave

a.) to show that he can coach at a bigger program

b.) to help the life's of his kids and grandchildren (bigger inheritance).
Dkutz

Irvine, CA

#3 Jan 8, 2009
Isn't this the same topic you had in your last article about LB basketball?? Can you not find a better topic. How about how great the team is, how well they are playing, and encouraging people to come to a game or two. Then MAYBE, IF, coach decides to leave, LBSU might have enough interest from boosters and attendance that they can offer him more to stay. IF what you are "reporting" is true, although most of what you write in your article seems to be personal opinion with little fact to back it up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach State 49ers NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News HS GametimeBOYS BASKETBALL: Centennial's Griffi... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Fart news 2
News StatSheet Big West Players of the Week - Decemb... (Dec '11) Dec '11 hiddengems 1
News Phelps leads Long Beach State over Montana 7456 (Feb '11) Feb '11 Anonymous 1
News 49ers report: Strategy and personnel (Feb '11) Feb '11 Anonymous 1
News 49ers make late charge for win (Dec '10) Dec '10 PT Critic 1
News LBSU faces struggling Washington (Nov '10) Nov '10 Beach Bum 1
News 49ers rally, but fall short in overtime (Nov '10) Nov '10 LB FAN 3
More from around the web