All in a day's work: Bulldogs sell ou...

All in a day's work: Bulldogs sell out Justice Center, pull out...

There are 35 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 12, 2008, titled All in a day's work: Bulldogs sell out Justice Center, pull out.... In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Sights and sounds from a sold-out Justice Center on Saturday, where the UNC Asheville men scored the last seven points of the game to pull out a 74-70 win over Liberty in the Big South Conference opener for ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
NC Libertarian

Montvale, NJ

#21 Jan 15, 2008
Denise -

Didn't yall win your first SoCon Tourney game of the 21st century last year? Saying that UNC-Asheville has been better than WCU during the Eddie Biedenbach era is proof that I know nothing about sports?
GenLee

Asheville, NC

#22 Jan 15, 2008
WOWWOWWOW wrote:
HOLY COW! THEY SOLD OUT THE JUSTICE CENTER? My middle school gym is bigger than the Justice Center. Why would you even put that down? That gym is a disgrace to Division 1 basketball. WOW, they sold it out, I mean selling 1500 tickets is tough. Wow, this should be the lead story on WLOS tonight. Incredible accomplishment.
you know, a Proctologist can help you get that burr removed.
Denise

Roxboro, NC

#23 Jan 15, 2008
NC....yes, you know nothing about sports. How about you go past one or two games and one sport. It's all on the websites. Do some research before you go spewing verbal garbage. I expect better than this from you. WCU played Purdue in the 1996 NCAA tournament and lost by 2 pts. Wasn't even a play in game against a similar opponent. OOOOOPS, guess that goes against your knowledge of sports eh

It would be nice if you did your homework before you yapped away in blind bias of a mediocre program. One good season does not make up for years of bad.
Barzini is a Pimp

Eddyville, KY

#24 Jan 15, 2008
Denise wrote:
NC....yes, you know nothing about sports. How about you go past one or two games and one sport. It's all on the websites. Do some research before you go spewing verbal garbage. I expect better than this from you. WCU played Purdue in the 1996 NCAA tournament and lost by 2 pts. Wasn't even a play in game against a similar opponent. OOOOOPS, guess that goes against your knowledge of sports eh
It would be nice if you did your homework before you yapped away in blind bias of a mediocre program. One good season does not make up for years of bad.
Or many decades of bad, in the case of WCU.
Barzini is a Pimp

Eddyville, KY

#25 Jan 15, 2008
Denise wrote:
So yeah, harp on men's basketball (don't count on UNCA women going to the ncaa this year) and football (the sport you don't have)if it makes you feel better. But DIII is a great option for a program that has no money and no resources.
Better to have no money and no resources than to have resources and do nothing with them.
Barzini is a Pimp

Eddyville, KY

#26 Jan 15, 2008
Denise wrote:
UNCA and WCU have both lost first-round games in the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Of course, UNCA lost to a team that reached the Final Four. WCU's opponent didn't even make it past the round of 32.
Denise

Roxboro, NC

#27 Jan 16, 2008
Barzini...again, you focus on one team, one sport. Overall unca doesn't hold a candle to WCU in athletics period. How about women's basketball? How are you doing this year compared to WCU? Thought so....

How many NCAA appearances has unca baseball had?

YOu and Libertarian should go on a coffee date and actually research your information and compare both programs.

So despite a change with football and a bad basketball season, wcu seems to be doing very well with its resources thank you very much. How'd your volleyball, soccer teams and cross country teams do this year with no resources? How's tennis doing? track? Just as I thought...you have nice teams there. Too bad you dont' even care enough to see.
NC Libertarian

Montvale, NJ

#28 Jan 16, 2008
Denise -

You are the one that came in talking crap about how our basketball team should go D2. I pointed out, correctly, that over the past 10 years our basketball team has been better than yours. I don't think even you could deny that. Over the past three years, we've seen our baseball, women's soccer and women's basketball team reach the NCAA Tournament. Our volleyball team went to something like three out of four Big South championship matches (always losing to Winthrop) and had a rebuilding season this year. Track, tennis and men's soccer have been struggling.

Our main sport, men's basketball, is ranked 20th in the Mid-Major poll and 12-4. Your football team hasn't won a SoCon game in two years and your basketball team will probably only win three or four conference games this season. Even with all of that money and all of those awesome facilities. Stop worrying about us and get your own program on track.
Denise

Roxboro, NC

#29 Jan 16, 2008
NC...you just don't understand do you. Go back to your ignorance and live happy knowing that outside of a few people, nobody cares about UNCA athletics.

But just remember this...your men's basketball team has been terrible for many years and this year is not a common occurrence.

The big south is a weak conference. Meaning bad schools play each other. Outside of winthrops mens basketball team, name a big south school that did anything but lose badly in the ncaa's.

volleyball lost 3 times in a row...not won, lost. what's your point.

i have no bearing on wcu but i can say, until unca does something...anything that shows it is more than a bottom of the barrel program, you may want to stop yapping.

one last thing to end this senseless drivel you keep spewing. please do your research...please. you must be a mom or sad fan of unca, but the least you can do is your homework. and go back and compare the two basketball programs over the past 10 years....but, as i have been pointing out and not getting through to you....look at the entire program, not just one sport in one year.

i hope for your sake mens basketball has another good year next year so you can keep living the dream.
NC Libertarian

Charlotte, NC

#30 Jan 16, 2008
In the past two years, we have won three different conference championships in three different sports. Our men's basketball team won in 2003 and, after tonight's win over High Point, should be the favorite to go again in 2008.

In men's basketball, WCU has had 2 winning seasons out of the last 23. You read that right. 2 for 23. You played a good game against Purdue 12 years ago. You had a good football team in 1983. Your baseball program is admittedly better, but you've only been to one more NCAA Tournament than we have this century and you don't have to deal with the same academic standards that we do as far as getting players in.

You are right. WCU has more fans. You also have more students. Pay your coaches more. And have better facilities.

But what do you have to show for it? In the sports that matter, your football and basketball teams are terrible. But go on and on about women's basketball by all means.
Denise

Roxboro, NC

#31 Jan 16, 2008
YOu really need to stop disussing sports as you have yet to do research and state a case. If you knew anything about college athletics, you would be of use in this discussion but you don't.

Life isn't just mens basketball and it isn't about football. look at the entire program.

look at the quality of the big south...it's a bad d-i conference. my son's rec league team could beat half the teams in that conference.

nc...stop trying to make a statement, it is obvious your knowledge of college sports comes from this newspaper and perhaps what your hair stylist tells you.

every program deals with the same academic standards...you know nothing of what you speak. if you think a 3.0 at unca is better than most other schools, go back to your cave and keep drawing. maybe go to the ncaa site and learn about the APR. Or go to your library and learn more about what makes an athletic department work.

you are out of your league and i pity you for trying.
NC Libertarian

Montvale, NJ

#32 Jan 17, 2008
You are right that life isn't about just men's basketball and football. But those are the two main sports and an athletic director could win ten straight women's tennis championships but, if his basketball and football teams are perenially at the bottom he's getting fired. You can try to downplay the importance of men's basketball and football and I probably would too if I was a Western Carolina fan.

I'll admit that top to bottom the SoCon is better than the Big South this year. But UNCA, Winthrop, High Point and VMI could play with anybody in the SoCon and demolish teams like Citadel, Western, UNCG, Elon, Furman night in and night out. The SoCon, like the Big South, is extremely top heavy.

I've made my case. You just want to ignore the facts or try to talk about cross country or men's gymnastics. We've had three teams advance to the NCAA Tournament in the past two years. Our men's basketball team went in 2003 and is poised to make another run at the crown this season. Your men's basketball team has had two winning seasons out of the past twenty-three. Your football team has had one winning season out of the last 6 and has lost 19 out of its last 20 games.

It sounds to me like yall are the ones that are out of your league.

And I was talking about recruiting student athletes. It's a fact that if you want to play baseball, volleyball or women's soccer at Asheville, you are going to have to have a higher GPA and SAT score than what you would need if you wanted to go to WCU. Nothing against Western, it's just one more thing that our coaches have to deal with.
Barzini is a Pimp

Maxton, NC

#33 Jan 17, 2008
Denise wrote:
Barzini...again, you focus on one team, one sport.
I believe men's basketball was the point of the original article, wasn't it Denise? Didn't you (or Steve, or whatever you called yourself in your first couple of posts) start the discussion of how UNCA basketball was so bad they won't be able to sell many tickets at their new arena?
Denise

Roxboro, NC

#34 Jan 18, 2008
Um Libertarian...the SoCon is better than the Big South overall. Comparing the two is pointless. But let me educate you in sports. Forget about WCU...overall teams are good and teams are bad, they are cyclical (meaning programs have ups and downs). Sure WCU mens basketball has struggled. But to say unca has been a contender compared to them shows your ignorance of sport. But overall, yes unca sent 3 teams to the ncaa's over the past 3 years and they all got creamed. But the socon is a tougher conference. Look at the buffalo bills losing 4 straight super bowls...because they were not good but best in a crappy afc.

socon teams have a winning record against big south. sorry your emotions blind you to fact. socon had 4 teams that could have placed first in the conference...big south barely has one good team and they want to leave the big south for the southern conference...YEAH BIG SOUTH.

So NC and Barzinini (yes, my husband's name is steve) the original article was basketball. NC decided to push the envelope based on very little substance but a whole lot of rose color glasses.

a season does not make a team. you lose, go back to your one chance of happiness. i hope basketball doesn't let you down.
NC Libertarian

Charlotte, NC

#35 Jan 18, 2008
We have more than one chance of happiness. Our womens soccer, baseball, mens and womens basketball, and volleyball have all proven that they can legitimately challenge for an NCAA Tournament spot. You have baseball, women's basketball and uhhhhh.... womens soccer? The two main sports that your athletic department and fan base focuses on,(whether you want to admit to it or not) men's basketball and football, have both absolutely stunk it up.

We started off talking about men's basketball. Then Western vs. UNCA. Now Big South vs. Southern. What's it going to be next?

UNCA is now 13-4 by the way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liberty Flames NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News McKay set for new position with U.Va. (Apr '09) Apr '09 hamptonfan 1
News Oh, brother: Can Tech curry favor? (Mar '09) Mar '09 Downtown Hpt 3
News Liberty's Seth Curry to transfer (Mar '09) Mar '09 James 1
News W & M earns Liberty final (Nov '08) Nov '08 Kim 2
News Liberty shoots way past Virginia (Nov '08) Nov '08 UVa Fan 2
our seth is being compared to his brother.. onl... (Nov '08) Nov '08 ivan 1
News Bulldogs set for TV game (Nov '08) Nov '08 Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 2
More from around the web