All in a day's work: Bulldogs sell ou...

All in a day's work: Bulldogs sell out Justice Center, pull out...

There are 35 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 12, 2008, titled All in a day's work: Bulldogs sell out Justice Center, pull out.... In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Sights and sounds from a sold-out Justice Center on Saturday, where the UNC Asheville men scored the last seven points of the game to pull out a 74-70 win over Liberty in the Big South Conference opener for ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dennis Justice

AOL

#1 Jan 13, 2008
[quote]You know its a big game when the Bulldogs bring out their mascot. About two minutes before tipoff, a UNCA marketing person asked a student in the stands,Do you want to be the Bulldog?[/quote]

Well, they could have hired me...I only accept payment in Gatorade...:P

Great to hear they had a packed house...
Steve

Roxboro, NC

#2 Jan 13, 2008
Pretty pathetic when the marketing person is asking fans to be a mascot 2 minutes before game time. Isn't a mascot one of the most important aspects of an athletic program? I heard students paid over 3 thousand dollars for that costume, nice to know it is used so little.
WOWWOWWOW

United States

#3 Jan 13, 2008
HOLY COW! THEY SOLD OUT THE JUSTICE CENTER? My middle school gym is bigger than the Justice Center. Why would you even put that down? That gym is a disgrace to Division 1 basketball. WOW, they sold it out, I mean selling 1500 tickets is tough. Wow, this should be the lead story on WLOS tonight. Incredible accomplishment.
NC Libertarian

Charlotte, NC

#4 Jan 13, 2008
I'd rather play in front of a sold out Justice Center than in front of 300 fans at the Ramsey Center or whatever it's called at Western.

Agreed that it's pretty lame they had to ask somebody to be the mascot. Also there were several seats available behind the benches where they typically put season ticket holders. I don't know why they couldn't just put people in there rather than turn people away.
Steve

Roxboro, NC

#5 Jan 13, 2008
WNC men's basketball is struggling to say the least. UNCA is benefitting from a good year. I don't think UNCA would sell more tickets than what justic center can hold though. Asheville just doesn't know anything except what's in the paper. If the NC/NC State game was on tv at 4:30, then the justice center would have been a ghost town.

When the new place is ever built...they too will have hundreds of empty seats and it won't be a problem anymore.
GoUNCA

Great Falls, MT

#6 Jan 13, 2008
The new place is on the way and until then we'll do what we can. Sorry to all the WCU people who can't seem to find a sport they are good at, not to mention trying to hire new coaches.

High Point on Wednesday will be a great game (they beat Winthrop yesterday) and I hope everyone comes out for that one too.
NC Libertarian

Charlotte, NC

#7 Jan 13, 2008
If only 1,300 people come to the games at the new arena, then I agree that it will be not be as big of a homecourt advantage as the Justice Center. Still a lot better than having 300 people in an 8,000 seat arena (see App State and WCU).

And I think that the excitement is genuine. Sure some people probably would've stayed home if the UNC-State game was at 4:30, but the Justice Center still would have been rocking.
Denise

Roxboro, NC

#8 Jan 13, 2008
GoUNCA wrote:
The new place is on the way and until then we'll do what we can. Sorry to all the WCU people who can't seem to find a sport they are good at, not to mention trying to hire new coaches.
High Point on Wednesday will be a great game (they beat Winthrop yesterday) and I hope everyone comes out for that one too.
Did you happen to notice WCU women's basketball has an rpi of 55 compared to UNCA of 288? WCU baseball is better...as is soccer, volleyball, track, cross country, tennis..but who's counting. You may not notice too that WCU is usually better than UNCA in those sports, not every few years to pop up and win something.
Dennis Justice

AOL

#9 Jan 13, 2008
WOWWOWWOW wrote:
HOLY COW! THEY SOLD OUT THE JUSTICE CENTER? My middle school gym is bigger than the Justice Center. Why would you even put that down? That gym is a disgrace to Division 1 basketball. WOW, they sold it out, I mean selling 1500 tickets is tough. Wow, this should be the lead story on WLOS tonight. Incredible accomplishment.
1,200 at the Justice Center is better than 1,200 at an Asheville Altitude game at the Civic Center. Much better atmosphere. When Kimmel opens up hopefully they'll get good crowds there, too.
NC Libertarian

Huntersville, NC

#10 Jan 13, 2008
Denise -

Yall also have a better football team. But just by a little bit.
WOWWOWWOW

United States

#11 Jan 13, 2008
GoUNCA wrote:
http://catamountsports.cstv.com/genrel/090307...

Really, we are so bad? What the heck does that make you????
Dennis Justice

AOL

#12 Jan 13, 2008
NC Libertarian wrote:
Denise -
Not very nice. True, but not very nice...
Denise

Roxboro, NC

#13 Jan 13, 2008
NC Libertarian wrote:
Denise -
Boy that's funny. I think everyone knows the program is suffering. But we have football, which means in one game there will be more people at that game then all unca events in one year. Plus our mascot appears on a regular basis, the bulldog shows up when they can find someone. keep in mind that the arena basketball plays in is also a multi function building that houses more than just sporting events. laugh all you want at the crowds there but you will be hard pressed to get more than a thousand for home events with the new building.

unca is a very nice program that enjoys moderate success every now and then. However it should consider DII or DIII for continued success.
Barzini is a Pimp

Eddyville, KY

#14 Jan 13, 2008
Denise wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy that's funny. I think everyone knows the program is suffering. But we have football, which means in one game there will be more people at that game then all unca events in one year. Plus our mascot appears on a regular basis, the bulldog shows up when they can find someone. keep in mind that the arena basketball plays in is also a multi function building that houses more than just sporting events. laugh all you want at the crowds there but you will be hard pressed to get more than a thousand for home events with the new building.
unca is a very nice program that enjoys moderate success every now and then. However it should consider DII or DIII for continued success.
Number of all-time NCAA men's basketball tournament appearances for WCU: One

Number of all-time NCAA men's basketball tournament appearances for UNCA: One

Maybe you should join us down there in Division II or III.

Seriously, you should consider joining us in the Big South. You'd be much more competitive in football and basketball, and you and Coastal could duel for baseball supremacy.
NC Libertarian

Charlotte, NC

#15 Jan 13, 2008
Well considering that three of your five wins in men's basketball this year have come against either non-Division 1 teams or teams that were are in their first season of Division 1, I think maybe yall should think about the switch as well.
Denise

Roxboro, NC

#16 Jan 13, 2008
It's not all about basketball. Last year you couldn't use that defence. There are problems that are being corrected at WCU. UNCA has no money or resources. How much money does UNCA get from students? How much from donors?

The Big South...that's cute. Again, if you compare programs instead of one year of basketball, you will find that WCU has alot more success, better facilities and more resources.

And again Libertarian, you are out of your depth. Wow, we beat some bad teams...this year. Didn't UNCA lose to Mars Hill last year? Didn't they struggle against just about everyone? How about the year before? Year before that? Sucks when you compare programs eh? But UNCA was having off years...so why can't WCU?

So yeah, harp on men's basketball (don't count on UNCA women going to the ncaa this year) and football (the sport you don't have)if it makes you feel better. But DIII is a great option for a program that has no money and no resources.
Harry

Newton, NC

#17 Jan 14, 2008
WCU can't fill up its gym because it's in the middle of nowhere. I agree that Asheville is far from elite when it comes to athletics (we prefer to spend money on academics, which is why we're the second best school in the UNC system, thank you very much), but I hope that this season proves to be a positive feedback loop in terms of recruiting, money, etc. As for football, Asheville is smart enough to realize that they will lose millions of dollars on a football team. Better to invest in a sport that doesn't cost as much money and is almost as popular in North Carolina: men's basketball.
NC Libertarian

Montvale, NJ

#18 Jan 14, 2008
Yeah the WCU people definitely don't want to get into the academic debate. And unfortunately for them the athletic debate is starting to switch over to the Bulldogs as well.

Over the past ten years I'd say we've had a better men's basketball program than Western. We've been the top three in the Big South something like 8 out of 12 and are considered one of the favorites to win it this year.
Denise

Roxboro, NC

#19 Jan 14, 2008
NC Libertarian wrote:
Yeah the WCU people definitely don't want to get into the academic debate. And unfortunately for them the athletic debate is starting to switch over to the Bulldogs as well.
Over the past ten years I'd say we've had a better men's basketball program than Western. We've been the top three in the Big South something like 8 out of 12 and are considered one of the favorites to win it this year.
You have now proven you know absolutely nothing about sports. You may want to go to the two school websites and look at past records, etc. I don't know where to start with your statement.

As for academics, UNCA is the only liberal arts school in the NC system. Sure it has high standards. That's terrific. I'm amazed to see the number of nobel laureates that come from that school. But this isn't an academic debate. It's an athletic debate. And in that unca will lose.
Denise

Roxboro, NC

#20 Jan 14, 2008
Harry wrote:
WCU can't fill up its gym because it's in the middle of nowhere. I agree that Asheville is far from elite when it comes to athletics (we prefer to spend money on academics, which is why we're the second best school in the UNC system, thank you very much), but I hope that this season proves to be a positive feedback loop in terms of recruiting, money, etc. As for football, Asheville is smart enough to realize that they will lose millions of dollars on a football team. Better to invest in a sport that doesn't cost as much money and is almost as popular in North Carolina: men's basketball.
Yes it's in the middle of nowhere. Second, it's a multi-purpose building hence it's size. Asheville wouldn't lose the money because asheville could never raise the money. Can't raise any now with what they have. As for a popular sport, unca has a basketball budget near or very close to dead last in all 330 division 1 schools. Some investment. And it must be paying off since Duke, UNC and Tennessee basketball get more space in the papers than unca or wcu.

Lastly, you don't invest more in academics instead of athletics because you want to, it's because there is no othe choice. student fees account for the majority of the budget. unca barely has the money for academics as well.

WCU is bigger, better funded and should start improving soon. show me any boosters at unca who get involved as much as wcu boosters. And lastly, enjoy what success comes to you as it is as fleeting as appearances of your mascot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liberty Flames NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News McKay set for new position with U.Va. (Apr '09) Apr '09 hamptonfan 1
News Oh, brother: Can Tech curry favor? (Mar '09) Mar '09 Downtown Hpt 3
News Liberty's Seth Curry to transfer (Mar '09) Mar '09 James 1
News W & M earns Liberty final (Nov '08) Nov '08 Kim 2
News Liberty shoots way past Virginia (Nov '08) Nov '08 UVa Fan 2
our seth is being compared to his brother.. onl... (Nov '08) Nov '08 ivan 1
News Bulldogs set for TV game (Nov '08) Nov '08 Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 2