Kentucky, Florida battle over recruits

Kentucky, Florida battle over recruits

There are 24 comments on the Scripps-Howard story from Jul 25, 2006, titled Kentucky, Florida battle over recruits. In it, Scripps-Howard reports that:

Southeastern Conference rivals Florida and the University of Kentucky are engaged in a recruiting competition to land two coveted 6-foot-9 power forwards from the class of 2007.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Scripps-Howard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
devon

AOL

#1 Jul 25, 2006
whats the difference between billy donovan and tubby smith? donovan recruited his own team to win a national championship and smith used someone elses recruits. what if uk would have picked donovan over smith as coach to replace pitino ? uk would be riding on at least their second national championship since pitino has left. tubby may have controlled the sec but it looks like donovan knows how to take a team deeper in the big dance. now it looks like donovan is also taking control of the sec as well. folks , kentucky hired the wrong guy !
diddy in nashville

AOL

#2 Jul 26, 2006
HELL YEAH THEY SCREWED ALL OF US WHEN THEY HIRED THAT JERK OFF. HE IS LIKE HERPES, YOU CANT GET RID OF HIM.
devon

AOL

#3 Jul 26, 2006
lets not forget that donovan took another florida team to the title game. that is two title games donovan took florida too. i might be wrong but i think donovan also took florida to a final four and lost in the first game. thats three final fours and one national championship. if at kentucky , he would have had better teams each time by using kentuckys elite status to bring those top recruits in. so donovan has been winning with o.k. talent not elite talent on his teams. in the mean time tubby talks about rebuilding almost every year. whom , think kentucky hired the wrong guy folks! looks like 5 years from now , donovan will be 5-0 in sec championships with 2 or 3 final fours and possibly 2 or 3 national championships. in the mean time kentuckys athletic director will grow balls and fire tubby because people are tired of rebuilding every year.
Daniel

Kissimmee, FL

#4 Jul 27, 2006
Tubby is a top 20 coach, not a top 5 coach, which is excactly what kentucky lost with pitino. Tubby has no recruiting philosophy whatsoever. He once commented that he would like for Kentucky to fly under the radar and catch teams by suprise..........HE IS COACHING KENTUCKY!!!!!!! We are the radar, there is no flying low when you always have a target on your back. Tubby is a great guy with outstanding intergrity, but the right guy for UK, absolutley not. Donovan is the next coach of Uk, I would bet on it. He has roots here and lets face it, Kentucky is still a Giant compared to Florida.
devon

AOL

#5 Jul 27, 2006
absolutely right on there daniel ! one can only imagine what donovan would do in recruiting if he had the elite kentucky to use as a selling tool. tubby won his national championship with a team that pitino recruited. tubby would not be able to recruit those payers himself. tubby and tubbys supporters miss the fact that kentucky is elite ! they are the winningest school in the history of the ncaa . north carolina and their fans are drilling at this opportunity to over take kentucky. and they will as long as tubby continues to approach it as a top 20 not a top 5.
Rip

Owensboro, KY

#6 Jul 30, 2006
Boy`s I have to agree, it`s time for a change. Yes, Tubby is a good coach, he proved that when he won in 98 with Rick`s kids. He can coach with top guy`s playing under him. He just comes up short on getting them. Donavan next up at UK.
kyboyincali

Adelanto, CA

#7 Jul 31, 2006
I have given tubby every chance and excuse you can think of. But I can't take any more of his no changing with the times attitude. We lose all the recruits we had and lose on crazy coaching moves......come on back rick.....
diddy in nashville

AOL

#8 Jul 31, 2006
PEOPLE, I'M SICK AND F**CKING TIRED OF RACKING MY BRAIN OVER THIS DAMN COACH! IT SHOULDNT BE LIKE THIS. I SHOULD BE FEELING JOY FOR THE UP COMING SEASON. THINKING ABOUT WHO WILL WE KICK THE SH*T OUT OF THIS YEAR. TENNESSEE? PLEASE LET IT BE THE ORANGE COCK SUCKING VOLS!!!!!! BUT HELLLLLLLLLLLL NO!! I'M WONDERING WHO WILL KICK THE SH*T OUT OF US! HOW BAD WILL IT BE THIS YEAR? WHO WILL BEAT US BY 50? VANDY? ITS A DAMN SHAME! BEING A HARD CORE FAN SHOULD HAVE ITS REWARDS. IF GETTING POUNDED IN THE ASS SEASON AFTER SEASON IS THE REWARD, WELL, F**K IT!! MY ASS IS SORE! I'M TIRED OF GETTING SCREWED BY THIS COACH AND HIS CREW! ITS BEEN TIME FOR A CHANGE. WHAT HAS TO HAPPEN TO GET THE TUB OUT? PLEASE FIRE THAT COCK SUCKER!!!!!!!
pauly

United States

#9 Aug 2, 2006
Tubby Smith, I think we all agree, is a great coach... Probably one of the best coaches in America.... When it comes to recruiting,,, that's where his problem is... We have had overachieving teams for like the last 5 years, except for last year... The only player that has made any kind of impact in the league is Tayshaun Prince.... but getting Billy Donovan... you guys are crazy... Donavan only made it to the final four 2 times not 3.... and he level of talent and has been hell of a lot better than Tubbies... I want Mark Few, if you can recruit top players at Gonzaga,, you can get em at UK!!!!!!
pauly

United States

#10 Aug 2, 2006
1 more thing is that Tubby Smith is a keith bogans sprained ankle, and some Patrick Sparks missed free throws away from being in 3 final fours in his tenure.
diddy in nashville

AOL

#11 Aug 2, 2006
YOU CANT COUNT ON "WHAT IF". WHAT IF BOGANS DIDNT SPRAIN HIS ANKLE. SPARKS CHOKING AT THE LINE. WHAT IF WE HAD A DIFFERENT COACH? I'M SICK AND TIRED OF BEING SICK AND TIRED!!! EVEN IF TUBBY HAD SOME GOOD RECRUITS, HE WOULD F**K THEM UP!! HE CANT GET GOOD PLAYERS TO PLAY GOOD. WHAT ABOUT JOE CRAWFORD???? IF THAT DUDE PLAYED ON A DIFFERENT TEAM, SKY IS THE LIMIT. IF TUBBY WOULD LET THE GUY GO AND LET HIM PLAY....TUBBY LIMITS HIS PLAYERS BY HIS COACHING STYLE. I THINK TUBBY DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THE F**K HE IS DOING. SUBBING 5 PLAYERS AT A TIME?? NOT GETTING HIS TEAM READY FOR THE OTHER TEAM. WHEN I SADLY WATCHED THEM PLAY LAST YEAR, ITS LIKE NOBODY SCOUTED THE OTHER TEAM. THEY DIDNT HAVE A GAME PLAN GOING IN. TUBBY WANTED TO....PLAY? IS THAT IT? THE GUYS LAST YEAR LOOKED CONFUSED EVERY TIME THEY TOOK THE FLOOR. THEY DIDNT RUN ANY OFFENCE AND WAS LAZY ON DEFENCE. NO EXCUSE!! THE PLAYERS DIDNT HAVE A CLUE BECAUSE THE COACH DIDNT. TUBBY SAID THAT THERE WILL BE CHANGES TO HIS STAFF,WHY DONT HE START WITH HIMSELF AND QUIT???????
devon

AOL

#12 Aug 3, 2006
what ifs? we could talk about what if all day long. what if that mysterous package never broke open with that money in it. what if the kentucky athletic director grows gonads and in turn shows moxy and fires tubbys butt !
DIDDY IN NAP TOWN

AOL

#13 Aug 8, 2006
I CAN,T BELIEVE TYRONE NASH CHOOSE A GLORIFIED PREP SCHOOL. KENTUCKY IS THE WINNINGNESS TEAM IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL.I PRAY WE GET PATTERSON RANDOLPH HICKSON JOSHUA SOUTHERN AND JAI LUCAS THE MORRIS TWIN,S ARE ALSO NICE TO HAVE.SCOTTY HOPSON APOSSIBLE 5STAR PLAYER.JEFF WICHEY.IS KENTUCKY NOT GOING TO PURSUE TYRONE NASH.I WAS VERY HIGH ON NASH UNTIL HE DIDN,T ACCEPT KENTUCKY SCHOLARSHIP OFFER.I LIKE AYODELE COKER6'11''CENTER.KENTUCKY NEED,S TO DO SOMETHING FAST TO STAY IN TOP 10 TEAM,S IN THE COUNTRY.
ransmith

Lexington, KY

#14 Aug 8, 2006
Tubby has owned B illy the kid up until just recently... Billy the kid has one FF and one championship, other than that he has typically failed to go any where in the ncaa...
He is good coach, but not lets see what he does now that he on the top.
diddy in nashville

AOL

#15 Aug 8, 2006
DIDDY IN NAP TOWN, TUBBY WILL NOT GO AFTER THOSE TOP PLAYERS BECAUSE HE KNOWS THEY WONT COME. I DONT BLAME NASH FOR CHOOSING PREP SCHOOL OVER KENTUCKY. NASH DOESNT WANT TO PLAY FOR TUBBY SMITH AS WELL AS THE TOP PLAYERS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. THAT SHOULD BE A MESSAGE IN ITSELF. TUBBY IS COSTING US STAR PLAYERS!! HE WILL NOT PUT FORTH THE EFFORT TO "CONVINCE" THE KIDS TO COME TO KENTUCKY! I'VE SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, TUBBY JUST WANTS A PAY CHECK. HE DONT GIVE A F**K ABOUT THE WINNING TRADITION AT KENTUCKY OR THE FANS! AS LONG AS 20 WINS ARE THERE AND MONEY IN HIS POCKET, HE'S HAPPY! F**K HIM!! I'M NOT HAPPY!! WE ARE NOT HAPPY!! IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT, HE'S NEVER BEEN TO THE FINAL 4 OR WON A N.C., HE WAS ALONG FOR A THE RIDE!!
devon

Ft Mitchell, KY

#16 Aug 8, 2006
ransmith wrote:
Tubby has owned B illy the kid up until just recently... Billy the kid has one FF and one championship, other than that he has typically failed to go any where in the ncaa...
He is good coach, but not lets see what he does now that he on the top.
i thought billy took florida to a national championship game a few years ago and lost? on top of another final four visit. regardless , billy does more with less. florida is a football school not a basketball school. what kind of team could billy recruit at a basketball school like kentucky ? one only can imagine. obviously tubby can not handle an elite basketball school. tubby is a mid major coach at an elite program. he settles for 20 win seasons with double digit loses. hoping kentucky makes the big dance. at kentucky , it is not about that. kentucky is not a bubble team. tubby has reduced kentucky to the bubble level. kentucky is about 30 win seasons and getting a one or two seed. tubby is over his head and needs to grasp it. kentucky is to hard of a job for the man. he is taking kentucky to low expectations. he would have been fired already if he was coaching north carolina.
Rick

Mayfield, KY

#17 Aug 9, 2006
I just wanted to chime in and support the idea that Tubby is not the right person for the head coaching job at UK. Tubby has had some limited success in recruiting, but some recruits you just scratch your head over. The fact that we have not been able to recruit a replacement for Chuck Hayes is just unbelieveable. What happened to the power of UK recruiting? Pitino loaded the roster every year after probation. He has been doing the same at UL.
Donovan clearly learned his lessons well under Pitino.
I too hope that we can lure Donovan away from Florida in the near future. But in the mean time Go Cats !!
diddy in nashville

AOL

#18 Aug 10, 2006
YEAH! GO CATS!! GO CATS! THEY ARE GOING STRAIT TO HELL AS LONG AS TUBBY IS THERE!!
TNBBALL

AOL

#19 Aug 14, 2006
You guys are stupid..Billy D has done a heck of a job at Florida..But keep in mind that Pitino doesnt win a championship in 1998 with that team because it wasnt a superstar to lead them. It was a complete team effort, a team that resemble the 92,93 UK teams led by farmer, feldhause, and those guys. Not taking away from Pitino but he has always won when hes had at least two star power type players.

Tubby's doing his job..Obviously we(UK FANS) would love to go to the final four every year but think of this..Duke has had final four and NC talent the pass three years and where did they go. Its really hard to win championships over and over in this day and time, let alone 1. Whould have ever picked George Mason to make a big run? NO ONE, so lets chill out with all this Tubby bashing?
devon

Ft Mitchell, KY

#20 Aug 15, 2006
chill out with the tubby bashing ? you seem to forget that duke reloads every year and always contend for that number one seed. tubby rebuilds and kentucky rarely has contended for a number one seed. we should be in the hunt every year with a rare off year considered acceptable. with tubby we are rarely in the hunt. in 98 , any coach could have won with that team. vital said it in 96 and 97 that the kids on the end of the bench could win a championship. they did. why ? because pitino does not loose recruits ! tubby does. kentucky is not a team that should be hoping for a 20 win season. they should be consistanly winning 30 games a year. why ? because they are the winningest team of all time. however based on the direction tubby is taking them , north carolina will soon be the winningest team of all time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kentucky Wildcats Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Wildcats invited to Team USA Mini-Camp (Jun '13) Oct '14 FLORIDA SWAMPER 3
News Kentucky Wildcats Basketball: Julius Randle is ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Ineluctable 1
News No. 5 Rick Pitino (Jan '06) Apr '13 Triple6 Vamp 11,834
News Kentucky Basketball: UK Needs a Go-to Scorer - ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Yunghooper 1
News NickiSue's View: Players are still Wildcats eve... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Tasteless 1
News Kentucky Basketball: Wildcats a Force to be Rec... (Jan '08) Mar '10 big blue 9
News Sims plans to leave UK (May '06) Jan '10 whodat 3
More from around the web