Cats want swagger back

Cats want swagger back

There are 17 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 6, 2007, titled Cats want swagger back. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

LEXINGTON - Conference play in college basketball is a time for fresh starts. As such, the University of Kentucky is trying to avoid a stale storyline.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Colonelgofish

Nashville, TN

#1 Jan 6, 2007
Were not going to do that with Tubby at the helm. He did not do any better in GA and I could not figure out why he was selected as the U K coach for that reason. Its time for a change.
jason82

United States

#2 Jan 8, 2007
I could not dissagree with you more strongly, however i will be the first to say tubby has made a few terrible mistakes the first and most important of which is not taking full advantage of the level of athleticism we have on our roster guys like crawford, bradley, jasper meeks, they need to run wide open and show every one exactly what we can do, a slow tempo is good for certain situations against certain sets. but if we are ever to regain our rightful place on the top of the ncaa mountain we have to be more athletic not only for our current players sake but for the recruits who are passing on our "stay in the slow lane while driving" approach to offense.
jason82

United States

#3 Jan 8, 2007
ok since no one is here right now i will add more we are one of the premire defensive teams in the nation and thta is all thanks to tubby and his philosophy its a glass is half full kind of thing with him you are not gonna get the flare and showmanship with an old scholl guy like him its just not gonna happen. however strongly i feel that tubby may not be the guy to lead us back to the promised land one fact remains true he is the coach at our beloved university and i am a big blue fan and that makes him one of the good guys. so its time to forgive and forget for the saulsmith at the point era and move on. we are at this moment just a vote or so shy of breaking back into the top 25 and if maui was mid season instead of preseason we bring home the hardware, before you disagree think back to the end of the ucla game on untimely turnover was what spelled it for us and after that deflating loss and three strenuos days out there who can blame them for folding in the second half, they gave it their all and just fell a little short so please all tub- drainers be aware, just because we are slowly climbing instead of dominating early remeber that tubby is one of us and the easiest position in the world is the monday quaterback

Since: Jan 07

United States

#5 Jan 8, 2007
that is ultimately true however i feel that most if not all uk fans are looking for a scapegoat in the situation as we always do becasue of our high expectations for our teams as i am sure you can relate to with ucla being in your home state and unfortunatley coach smioth takes the heat, but if not him then it would just be some one else bottom line until we hang number 8 in the rafters no one will be content with tubby or any other coach for that matter and it is truly sad we should appreciate what the man is doing and get off his back

United States

#7 Jan 8, 2007
i again sadly agree to an extent i do believe tubbys race does play a factor in making him an easy target but keep in mind he was loved in georgia and georgia is far more confederate than kentucky however the expectations for bulldog basketball are not nearly as high our high expectations are no excuse for the racial bigoting of a few.
devon

Covington, KY

#8 Jan 12, 2007
Beautiful day today wrote:
They wouldn't be after tubby if he was a white man. Somethings will never change. I feel sorry for Coach Smith.
stop using the color of ones skin as an excuse ! if you believe this crap , then you do not know kentucky history. eddie sutton was as white as they get , and he was out in three years because he could not handle the job. tubby cant handle the job and should be canned.
Colonelgofish

Nashville, TN

#9 Jan 14, 2007
Dear Jason and Beautiful Day: As Saul Smith once said, "its not a black and white issue its a blue and white one". This is not about skin color, this is about Big Blue being at its rightful place in the final four. Every coach knows that if can take a job at KY, he is expected to win or go. I don't know anyone who does not like Tubby on a personal level. He just simply is not the guy who can take us to the top. I will again say that he did no better at GA. and I could not understand his hiring for that reason. Jason, no one is still talking about the "Saul Smith point guard thing", they are talking about winning a championship. Don't whine about race, that is just excuses and whale shit. KY fans will love someone who wins if there purple. And by the way, Devon mentioned a "white" Sutton being gone in three. Tubbys had 9. We dont care about color. we care about consistantly being in the final four. I can't remember when we have not been in the top 25 and being that low a number would not be tollerated by KY fans.
devon

Batavia, OH

#10 Jan 14, 2007
way to go colonelgofish! it's like you just hit the big three pointer from the outside! if tubby where at any other traditional elite school ; north carolina , duke , indiana , ucla etc etc etc , he would have been terminated a long time ago. kentucky is about winning. plain and simple. every year ( with a rare off year ) kentucky has been the team to beat in the sec. now , kentucky is lucky to be top 25. color of skin has nothing to do with bleeding blue!
richard french

Lexington, KY

#11 Jan 14, 2007
you win at kentucky or you go regardless of color. Rupp quit winning he was forced out. Hall had a dominant team in 1984 and lost he was basically pushed out. Sutton was a sorry drunken ass loser and he was gone. Hell even when curry was there he had death threats. Hey Beautiful Day. Quit listening to what the media and hollywood says about kentucky basketball. Wether you are black white red yellow or some star trek nasty green chick at kentucky you win or u face pressure.Tubby is getting the same that all coaches at this school get. Just ask Rick Brooks
devon

Covington, KY

#12 Jan 16, 2007
way to go mr. french!
Colonelgofish

Nashville, TN

#13 Jan 17, 2007
Hey Richard and Devon, you guys are on the money. I remember that nasty green chick from Star Trek. She was hot! By the way. I was really impressed with the football program this year and the last game (Music City Bowl)here in Nashville. What guts and exciting play. I see we just hit the bottom of the top 25 list. A long way from the usual shoe in for the SEC Championship. Still bleeding Blue in Nashville TN. Oh and by the way, my imported wife lol, is a Big Blue Fan. It just does not matter where your from, True Blue runs wild. The Colonel.
devon

Covington, KY

#14 Jan 17, 2007
that green woman would make a great coach. she touches you and you are in love. she could do that to all the major recruits. kentucky would be loaded with the best players. after all , tubby seems to be having a difficult time recruiting those big named players. one touch , he commits to the cats!

United States

#15 Jan 19, 2007
ok i realize this comment comes in late but i was never one to bring up the race card it was simply brought to my attention in a comment by beautiful day i simply addressed the issue but to all of you who think tubby can not lead us to a nationoal championship you are sorely mistaken he can and will as much as i hate the term rebuilding uk has been in a rebuilding mode the last few seasons but the nucleus we have now along with the prospects we have coming will surely lead us to a title within the next two to three seasons and without tubby and his defensive philosophy we wont get there granted we do need to run more press more and just use our atheletic abilities more often to overpower inferior opponents we are still one of the best defensive teams in the country thanks to mr smith and we should all recognize this in closing i was posting on here to defend tubby and uk basketball i love all aspects of the sport and would never reduce my lifes passion to a race debate i only addressed the issue so i could continue my conversation that is all thanks guys
devon

Covington, KY

#16 Jan 20, 2007
hey jason 82
you got it right ! kentucky has been in a rebuilding mode for a few years. have you ever asked yourself why that is? the answer is the coach. here is an example, north carolina won it all 2 years ago. then they lost most of their players. you would think they now should be in a rebuilding mode, right ? they should have a bunch of under classman on that team, right? guess what , they reload not rebuild. this year they started the season at number 2 and have been as high as number 1. why cant kentucky be as consistant ? because the coach is rebuilding not reloading. because the coach is a top 25 coach in a top 5 program and he cant handle the job. every year kentucky should be ranked top ten and battling for a one or two seed. an occasional off year is acceptable. with tubby it is the opposite. an occasional great year is acceptable , which is the mindset of a mid major instead of an elite program. tubby is over his head. the job is too hard for him to handle.
Colonelgofish

Nashville, TN

#17 Jan 21, 2007
Devon, I agree completely. The Colonel
devon

Covington, KY

#18 Jan 23, 2007
vandy at rupp ? what is wrong with this picture folks ?
i wonder if they will schedule north carolina at rupp. for the game when they over take kentucky as the winningest program of all time.
that would be a great resume filler for tubby.
Colonelgofish

Nashville, TN

#19 Jan 24, 2007
I am just watching the GA vs KY game at GA. I wish GA had Tubby back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kentucky Wildcats Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Wildcats invited to Team USA Mini-Camp (Jun '13) Oct '14 FLORIDA SWAMPER 3
News Kentucky Wildcats Basketball: Julius Randle is ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Ineluctable 1
News No. 5 Rick Pitino (Jan '06) Apr '13 Triple6 Vamp 11,834
News Kentucky Basketball: UK Needs a Go-to Scorer - ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Yunghooper 1
News NickiSue's View: Players are still Wildcats eve... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Tasteless 1
News Kentucky Basketball: Wildcats a Force to be Rec... (Jan '08) Mar '10 big blue 9
News Sims plans to leave UK (May '06) Jan '10 whodat 3
More from around the web